The Elsmar Cove Wiki More Free Files The Elsmar Cove Forums Discussion Thread Index Post Attachments Listing Failure Modes Services and Solutions to Problems Elsmar cove Forums Main Page Elsmar Cove Home Page
Miner's MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) Blog 
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Common Quality Assurance Processes and Tools > Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics
Forum Username

Wooden Line

Spur Gear DOP (Dimension Over Pins) Measurement - 2 or 3 Pins?

Wooden Line
Search the Elsmar Cove
Search Elsmar
Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Follow Marc & Elsmar
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed  Marc Smith's Google+ Page  Marc Smith's Linked In Page   Marc Smith's Elsmar Cove YouTube Page  Marc Smith's Facebook Page  Elsmar Cove Twitter Feed
Elsmar Cove Groups
Elsmar Cove Google+ Group  Elsmar Cove LinkedIn Group  Elsmar Cove Facebook Group
Donate and $ Contributor Forum Access
Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

Howard's
International Quality Services
Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting
Bob Doering's
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook
IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors
SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers
Quality Digest Portal
IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology
ASQ - American Society for Quality

Related Topic Tags
dimension over pins, dop, dop measurement, spur gear

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 8th July 2008, 09:12 AM
ScottyWM

Please Help! Spur Gear DOP (Dimension Over Pins) Measurement - 2 or 3 Pins?

One of our foreign suppliers is disagreeing with my gear DOP measurement method. I have been taught that when measuring spur gear DOP, one always uses two pins - no matter if the gear has an even or odd number of teeth. I have used this method for 15+ years without problem. (You would use three pins or balls for worm gears or screw threads.) The foreign "expert" says that you use three pins for odd number of teeth on spur gears.

I can find trade literature to back up my method. But I do not know of a standard or anything more formal to back up my position. Is there anyting out there that anyone knows of?

Thanks,
Scott

Sponsored Links
Old 8th July 2008, 10:27 AM
Marc

Re: Spur Gear DOP Measurement

This isn't my field of expertise. What is a gear DOP measurement method?
Sponsored Links

Old 8th July 2008, 10:38 AM
Stijloor

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Marc View Post

This isn't my field of expertise. What is a gear DOP measurement method?
I believe diameter/dimension over pins.

Stijloor.
Old 8th July 2008, 10:50 AM
antoine.dias

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by ScottyWM View Post

One of our foreign suppliers is disagreeing with my gear DOP measurement method. I have been taught that when measuring spur gear DOP, one always uses two pins - no matter if the gear has an even or odd number of teeth. I have used this method for 15+ years without problem. (You would use three pins or balls for worm gears or screw threads.) The foreign "expert" says that you use three pins for odd number of teeth on spur gears.

I can find trade literature to back up my method. But I do not know of a standard or anything more formal to back up my position. Is there anyting out there that anyone knows of?

Thanks,
Scott
I am not an expert on this but according to my experience it depends on how the designer has calculated the " diameter over pins ".

In most cases I have encountered the designs were made using 2 pins but I have seen cases measured over 3 pins.
So it depends.

Best regards,

Antoine
Old 8th July 2008, 11:03 AM
ScottyWM

DOP = dimension over pins (or dimension over wires).

Two wires are placed 180 apart in the gear teeth and a measurement is made over the wires. (On odd number of teeth gears, the wires are placed as close to 180 as possible.) Gives a relatively quick and easy meausrement of size and tooth thickness at pitch diameter. We use doble flank gear testers ourselves, but the supplier does not have this capability - thus we also measure the DOP.

I have seen and can cite *many* references to using two pins. I have not seen nor can find any references to using three pins, unless it is a worm gear or screw thread.

From the Machinery's Handbook:
Attached Thumbnails
DOP4.jpg  

Last edited by ScottyWM; 8th July 2008 at 11:45 AM.
Thanks to ScottyWM for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Old 8th July 2008, 11:54 AM
True Position

Quote:

DOP = dimension over pins (or dimension over wires).

Two wires are placed 180 apart in the gear teeth and a measurement is made over the wires. (On odd number of teeth gears, the wires are placed as close to 180 as possible.) Gives a relatively quick and easy meausrement of size and tooth thickness at pitch diameter. We use doble flank gear testers ourselves, but the supplier does not have this capability - thus we also measure the DOP.

I have seen and can cite *many* references to using two pins. I have not seen nor can find any references to using three pins, unless it is a worm gear or screw thread.

From the Machinery's Handbook:
I looked it up in my copy of the Handbook of Dimensional Measurement. It mentions only using two pins and then says to look up the details in the Machinery Handbook. Most splines are specified as being measured over two pins.

I'd ask the foreign expert for his standards.
Old 8th July 2008, 06:07 PM
Stijloor

Re: Spur Gear DOP (Dimension Over Pins) Measurement - 2 or 3 Pins?

Quote:

Thanks,
Scott
Scott,

Look at this magazine "Gear Solutions", page 25.

That may help a little....

Stijloor.

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Common Quality Assurance Processes and Tools > Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics

Do you find this discussion thread helpful and informational?