The Elsmar Cove Wiki More Free Files The Elsmar Cove Forums Discussion Thread Index Post Attachments Listing Failure Modes Services and Solutions to Problems Elsmar cove Forums Main Page Elsmar Cove Home Page
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Common Quality Assurance Processes and Tools > Six Sigma
Forum Username

Search the Elsmar Cove
Custom Search
Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Follow Marc & Elsmar
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed  Marc Smith's Google+ Page  Marc Smith's Linked In Page   Marc Smith's Elsmar Cove YouTube Page  Marc Smith's Facebook Page  Elsmar Cove Twitter Feed
Elsmar Cove Groups
Elsmar Cove Google+ Group  Elsmar Cove LinkedIn Group  Elsmar Cove Facebook Group
Sponsor Links

Donate and $ Contributor Forum Access
Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

Howard's
International Quality Services
Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting
Bob Doering's
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook
IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors
SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers
Quality Digest Portal
IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology
ASQ - American Society for Quality

Related Topic Tags
six sigma (general)

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
Old 7th August 2008, 12:12 PM
Involved in Discussions

Registration Date: Jul 2002

Thanks Given to Others: 1
Karma Power: 55
Tom Slack is appreciated, and has over 200 Karma points.Tom Slack is appreciated, and has over 200 Karma points.Tom Slack is appreciated, and has over 200 Karma points.
Caution Let's fix Six Sigma!

The belted ones at Six Sigma consult in the area of data driven change. The data in this forum, however demonstrates that major changes are needed at Six Sigma.

WARNING !!! WARNING !!!! WARNING!!!

No one at Six Sigma has asked for our advice. In order for our recommendations to effective, we will probably want to use tactful language.

I have a few suggestions of my own, but I have to catch a plane. I will try post via Wi-Fi when available.

Best wishes,

Tom

Sponsored Links
Old 7th August 2008, 12:52 PM
Involved in Discussions

Registration Date: Sep 2006

Thanks Given to Others: 42
Karma Power: 42
Howard Lee is appreciated, and has over 700 Karma points.Howard Lee is appreciated, and has over 700 Karma points.Howard Lee is appreciated, and has over 700 Karma points.Howard Lee is appreciated, and has over 700 Karma points.Howard Lee is appreciated, and has over 700 Karma points.Howard Lee is appreciated, and has over 700 Karma points.Howard Lee is appreciated, and has over 700 Karma points.
Re: Let's fix Six Sigma!

I've been in quality for a long time and I'm new to quality at the same time. You people know my story.

I entered quality when TQM was the big thing. I went through much TQM training and I had TOPS 8-D training with Ford Motor Company. I learned all about quality tools and then I learned more, as much as I could. Then I left quality for a while.

When I returned to quality I was desperate to learn what this new thing "Six Sigma" was all about. I mean, I knew in a statistical sense the significance of six sigma, but I did not know what "Six Sigma" meant. I did internet searches, I read trade journals, and I read about it in books. I still has not been proven to me that all of the old tools that have been around for decades have not been bundled together in a neat little package, tied up with a shiny new bow, and sold to a bunch of new managers as the answer to all of their problems.

In the end I quote: "That which has been, shall be. That which has been done, shall be done. And there is no new thing under the sun."

Someone, please prove to me otherwise.

Rock is hard but water is patient!!!
Sponsored Links

Old 7th August 2008, 01:03 PM
Quality Manager

Registration Date: Sep 2003

Thanks Given to Others: 503
Thanked 2,935 Times in 1,901 Posts
Karma Power: 1167
Wes Bucey is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Wes Bucey is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Wes Bucey is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Wes Bucey is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Wes Bucey is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Howard Lee View Post

I've been in quality for a long time and I'm new to quality at the same time. You people know my story.

I entered quality when TQM was the big thing. I went through much TQM training and I had TOPS 8-D training with Ford Motor Company. I learned all about quality tools and then I learned more, as much as I could. Then I left quality for a while.

When I returned to quality I was desperate to learn what this new thing "Six Sigma" was all about. I mean, I knew in a statistical sense the significance of six sigma, but I did not know what "Six Sigma" meant. I did internet searches, I read trade journals, and I read about it in books. I still has not been proven to me that all of the old tools that have been around for decades have not been bundled together in a neat little package, tied up with a shiny new bow, and sold to a bunch of new managers as the answer to all of their problems.

In the end I quote: "That which has been, shall be. That which has been done, shall be done. And there is no new thing under the sun."

Someone, please prove to me otherwise.
Actually, the PRIMARY virtue of SS is precisely that it has spurred some managers to look at the Quality function of an organization in an economic light - as something that HELPS an organization versus creating a drag on profits.

In terms of the "tools of SS," I doubt there is any Quality professional worthy of the name who does not recognize the tools are really repackaged from previous generations, enhanced by the ease of computers to do the heavy lifting on the statistical calculations which were a real choke point back in Shewhart's days at Western Electric.

"Few minds wear out; more rust out"
Inscribed over the entrance of Louis Pasteur School, Chicago
Christian Nestell Bovee (1820-1904) in Thoughts, Feelings and Fancies, 1857
Old 7th August 2008, 01:09 PM
Not out of the crisis

Registration Date: Apr 2006

Thanks Given to Others: 173
Karma Power: 292
ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.

fix as in "neuter" or fix as in "repair"

the OP can go either way.

Time for a new sig line.
My LinkedIn Profile
Old 7th August 2008, 01:29 PM
Inactive Registered Visitor

Registration Date: Feb 2001

Thanks Given to Others: 80
Karma Power: 221
D.Scott is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
D.Scott is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.D.Scott is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.D.Scott is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.D.Scott is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.D.Scott is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.D.Scott is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.D.Scott is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.D.Scott is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.D.Scott is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Send a message via Yahoo to D.Scott

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Howard Lee View Post

Adding to Wes' comments - I would agree there is no re-invention of the wheel. The same old tools are used in SS.

The wheel is still the same but how it is put on the car has changed. One of the beauties of SS is the discipline of a defined and planned project. It is one thing to have all the tools but another to know how and when to use them. SS is not so much about the tools as about what you do with them. The planning, coordination of team members, documentation and analysis of data and systematic drive to the next level of the project is, for me, the advantage of SS.

When I think of "fixing six sigma" I think not of the program itself but of the misuse of the program. I would venture to say, as with any discipline, Six Sigma has been beaten up so badly in some cases it wouldn't be recognizable.

As Wes pointed out management is spurred by the bottom line of economics however when SS is misused they see only the cost and a drag on their profits.

Yes, Six Sigma needs fixing. My observation is it isn't the system that is broken.

Dave

"Time you enjoyed wasting is not wasted time"
Thank You to D.Scott for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Old 7th August 2008, 02:19 PM
Cross Forum Moderator

Registration Date: Jan 2005

Thanks Given to Others: 1,987
Thanked 5,847 Times in 3,734 Posts
Karma Power: 1510
Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Tom Slack View Post

The belted ones at Six Sigma consult in the area of data driven change. The data in this forum, however demonstrates that major changes are needed at Six Sigma.

WARNING !!! WARNING !!!! WARNING!!!

No one at Six Sigma has asked for our advice. In order for our recommendations to effective, we will probably want to use tactful language.

I have a few suggestions of my own, but I have to catch a plane. I will try post via Wi-Fi when available.

Best wishes,

Tom
At this point SS is a runaway train. Given enough time, it'll run out of fuel and slow to a stop on its own, and its passengers will sheepishly disembark and go find another ill-fated mode of transportation.

It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it. --Upton Sinclair
Old 7th August 2008, 02:24 PM
RIP - Deceased May 2010

Registration Date: Feb 2007
Location: On the St. John's River (no relation!) near DeLand, Florida, US

Thanks Given to Others: 53
Karma Power: 0
John Nabors - 2009 is appreciated, and has over 700 Karma points.John Nabors - 2009 is appreciated, and has over 700 Karma points.John Nabors - 2009 is appreciated, and has over 700 Karma points.John Nabors - 2009 is appreciated, and has over 700 Karma points.John Nabors - 2009 is appreciated, and has over 700 Karma points.John Nabors - 2009 is appreciated, and has over 700 Karma points.John Nabors - 2009 is appreciated, and has over 700 Karma points.

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Jim Wynne View Post

At this point SS is a runaway train. Given enough time, it'll run out of fuel and slow to a stop on its own, and its passengers will sheepishly disembark and go find another ill-fated mode of transportation.
At the current price of diesel it might be sooner than we think...
Old 7th August 2008, 02:38 PM
On Holiday

Registration Date: Nov 2006

Thanks Given to Others: 8
Karma Power: 0
justncredible is appreciated, and has over 400 Karma points.justncredible is appreciated, and has over 400 Karma points.justncredible is appreciated, and has over 400 Karma points.justncredible is appreciated, and has over 400 Karma points.justncredible is appreciated, and has over 400 Karma points.

I do not think so, the tools are very well proven, and as a packadge they without doubt work. For some places that have problems SS will be awesome, some places that have had a decent QE for years will not see much of a gain.

I think like TQM, it is very good, I also think SS is the natural progression of quality. With that I think the next level will be even more intensive, includeing more expanded toolsets to tackle more devirse problems.

The detractors, and that 4% who will never support or be happy with changes.

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Common Quality Assurance Processes and Tools > Six Sigma

Do you find this discussion thread helpful and informational?