The Elsmar Cove Wiki More Free Files The Elsmar Cove Forums Discussion Thread Index Post Attachments Listing Failure Modes Services and Solutions to Problems Elsmar cove Forums Main Page Elsmar Cove Home Page
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > National and International Business Standards and Requirements > Food and Drug related Topics > Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11)
Forum Username

Search the Elsmar Cove
Custom Search
Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Follow Marc & Elsmar
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed  Marc Smith's Google+ Page  Marc Smith's Linked In Page   Marc Smith's Elsmar Cove YouTube Page  Marc Smith's Facebook Page  Elsmar Cove Twitter Feed
Elsmar Cove Groups
Elsmar Cove Google+ Group  Elsmar Cove LinkedIn Group  Elsmar Cove Facebook Group
Sponsor Links

Donate and $ Contributor Forum Access

Click the graphic above.
Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

Howard's
International Quality Services
Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting
Bob Doering's
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook
IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors
SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers
Quality Digest Portal
IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology
ASQ - American Society for Quality

Related Topic Tags
software validation, fda (food and drug administration)

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 18th August 2008, 06:10 PM
Getting Involved (6 to 9 Posts)

Registration Date: Jul 2008

Thanks Given to Others: 3
Karma Power: 25
LiamD has less than 100 Karma points so far.
Question Understanding FDA requirements for Software Validation

Context

This is a post that is hoping to help understand what the FDA requirements are for Software Validation.

It is not Process Validation, Product Validation, Device Validation (Although I know Software Validation is a component of this), or any other validation – I have seen many instances where there is confusion on this.

FDA Guidance Documents

I have based my understanding on the following FDA Guidance documents:-

General Principles of Software Validation; Final Guidance for Industry and FDA Staff
(Sorry FDA link had to be removed)

Guidance for the Content of Premarket Submissions for Software Contained in Medical Devices
(Sorry FDA link had to be removed)

Having read these documents I feel that the documents are lacking specifics and there are areas that are left to interpretation. Now my concern with this is that people make different interpretations and develop software that it is not adequate for FDA submittal and it may be rejected because it does not meet expectations.

My Baggage

From my software development experience here is my personal definition that I have worked with:

Verification
Ensuring that the Software requirements have been fully implemented by executing a Software Test Procedures.

i.e. Making sure system built correctly

Validation
Ensuring that the Software meets user expectation.

i.e. Making sure the right system is built

Software Validation
I have read many discussions and points of view related to software validation. Some of the information has been misinformed and other has been conflicting. I am hoping to get a response to this post that will help clarify the intent of Software Validation.

So where I have seen a lot of confusion is the terms Verification and Validation. After reading the Guidance documents, this is my take:-

Verification
Ensuring that each software development lifecycle phasees has been completed correctly. I.e the input to the phase have been correctly transformed to the output of the phase.

So for the following phases here is a list of verification activities I can think of (most of them seem to be review based).

Life Cycle Stage ____ Verification Method
Requirements Capture .Review of Document, Traceability
Detail Design ........Peer Review, Review of Document, Traceability, Unit Testing
Implementation .......Code Review, Code Walkthrough, Traceability
Test..................Review of Document, Traceability

Software Validation Activities

Now I know that the amount of documentation depends on:

- Level of Concern
- Risk Assessment

Obviously a Major LOC device will require more that a Moderate LOC. Also I understand that the activities can be determined based on a Risk Assessment. So perhaps only Unit Tests would be preformed on safety critical sections of code – rather than the complete source.

Now I think I would really understand what is expected for software validation if I could see a complete list of all the activities that could be considered when trying to determine how to Validate Software.

I can see that all the verification tasks (as listed above) contribute to “demonstrate by objective evidence” that the software has been validated.

Where do other quality activities fit into the picture – are these considered Software Validation activities?
- Configuration Management
- Source Code Version Control
- Code Coverage and Tools
- Static and Dynamic Code Analysis
- Build Procedures

What are all the other activities help to demonstrate Software Validation?

There is a strong indication that Software Validation should ensure that the software should “conform to user needs”. Can “user needs” be fully defined in Software Requirements? Is it the case that the only way to “confirm by objective evidence” that “user needs” have been met is by allowing the end user to use the device? Does it mean that it can only be done at the end of the development cycle?

One more thing that is a real source of confusion: I have seen many people reference a single document called a Software Validation Procedures. Now from my understanding I do not believe that such a document can be executed and demonstrate that Software has been validated – it has to take much more than that.

I would be very happy for anyone to add to this post to help clarify Software Validation especially anyone who has had experience of making a submittal or who has had FDA software audit experience.

Thanks
Liam

Last edited by LiamD; 18th August 2008 at 06:21 PM. Reason: Formatting Change

Sponsored Links
Old 19th August 2008, 06:54 AM
Moderator here to help

Registration Date: Jan 2006

Thanks Given to Others: 941
Karma Power: 478
Coury Ferguson is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Coury Ferguson is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Coury Ferguson is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Coury Ferguson is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Coury Ferguson is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Coury Ferguson is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Coury Ferguson is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Coury Ferguson is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Coury Ferguson is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Coury Ferguson is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Coury Ferguson is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Coury Ferguson is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Coury Ferguson is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Coury Ferguson is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Coury Ferguson is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Coury Ferguson is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Re: Understanding FDA requirements for Software Validation

I have moved this post to the forum since it relates to the FDA, even though it is asking about software validation. I think you will get better responses here.

Can anyone provide some help on this?

"The one thing I want to leave my children is an honorable name." "It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed." Theodore Roosevelt Chicago, IL, April 10, 1899
Sponsored Links

Old 28th August 2008, 09:36 AM
Involved in Discussions

Registration Date: Aug 2008

Thanks Given to Others: 25
Karma Power: 29
szohar is appreciated, and has over 100 Karma points.szohar is appreciated, and has over 100 Karma points.

Since our organization is working through the same challenges right now, I'll be keeping an eye on this thread in hopes that others will contribute any relevant experience or advice.

Anyone?
Old 24th September 2008, 10:25 PM
Inactive Registered Visitor

Registration Date: Jul 2008

Thanks Given to Others: 4
Karma Power: 25
min1999 has less than 100 Karma points so far.

I dont have experience of FDA Sofware audit experience. I am customer of some softwares in a GLP Lab.

First we will make a yearly validation master plan(VMP) for all the equipment including software validations in our lab. Then we draft specific validation plan for each instrument, usually done by the one who is in charge of the equipment. The plan should be reviewed by QA and management. Then some person carry out validations according to the specific validation plan and related SOPs and make any experiment records of observations and results. After that a validation report shall be prepared including the procedures, results and conclusions. The report will be checked by the Study director and reviewed by QA and the management.

So the validation documents include validation master plan, Specific validation plan, Validation records, and Validation report.
Old 6th November 2008, 05:57 PM
Involved in Discussions

Registration Date: Aug 2008

Thanks Given to Others: 24
Karma Power: 27
JayJay has less than 100 Karma points so far.

Hi there,

I've been doing some research on this subject myself, and came across this thread: http://Elsmar.com/Forums/showthread....ferrerid=69908

which has been MOST useful...

On Page 5 of the thread, the attachments get VERY helpful if you need templates for Software Validation and general ideas on activities to perform.

Hope this helps!
Thanks to JayJay for your informative Post and/or Attachment!

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > National and International Business Standards and Requirements > Food and Drug related Topics > Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11)

Do you find this discussion thread helpful and informational?