The Elsmar Cove Wiki More Free Files The Elsmar Cove Forums Discussion Thread Index Post Attachments Listing Failure Modes Services and Solutions to Problems Elsmar cove Forums Main Page Elsmar Cove Home Page
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Common Quality Assurance Processes and Tools > Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis > Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools / Solutions > Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools
Forum Username

Search the Elsmar Cove
Custom Search
Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Follow Marc & Elsmar
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed  Marc Smith's Google+ Page  Marc Smith's Linked In Page   Marc Smith's Elsmar Cove YouTube Page  Marc Smith's Facebook Page  Elsmar Cove Twitter Feed
Elsmar Cove Groups
Elsmar Cove Google+ Group  Elsmar Cove LinkedIn Group  Elsmar Cove Facebook Group
Sponsor Links

Donate and $ Contributor Forum Access

Click the graphic above.
Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

Howard's
International Quality Services
Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting
Bob Doering's
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook
IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors
SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers
Quality Digest Portal
IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology
ASQ - American Society for Quality

Related Topic Tags
2007, bell curve, microsoft excel .xls .xlsx spreadsheet

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
Old 21st August 2008, 05:44 PM
Shy Poster (1 to 5 Posts)

Registration Date: Feb 2008

Thanks Given to Others: 6
Karma Power: 27
bbrandon has less than 100 Karma points so far.
Please Help! How Can I Create a Bell curve in Excel 2007

I need some help can someone show me how to create a Bell curve that contains the following information in the attachment that I have posted, I have not done this before. I have attached my data to the post. I have excell 2007 and I can not figure out how to create a bell curve with this data or how to set it up. Very confusing. Can someone help me or show me how to do it.

Thank you

Brian
Attached Files: 1. Scan for viruses before using, 2. Please report any 'bad' files by Reporting this post, 3. Use at your Own Risk.
File Type: xls Data.xls (18.5 KB, 740 views)

Sponsored Links
Old 21st August 2008, 05:54 PM
Cross Forum Moderator

Registration Date: May 2003

Thanks Given to Others: 3,184
Thanked 4,508 Times in 3,193 Posts
Karma Power: 1541
Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Re: How Can I Create a Bell curve in Excell 2007

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by bbrandon View Post

I need some help can someone show me how to create a Bell curve that contains the following information in the attachment that I have posted, I have not done this before. I have attached my data to the post. I have excell 2007 and I can not figure out how to create a bell curve with this data or how to set it up. Very confusing. Can someone help me or show me how to do it.

Thank you

Brian
Brian,

I did an advanced search on: "Normal distribution in Excel."

Look and see if there's some info you can use.

Stijloor.
Sponsored Links

Old 21st August 2008, 09:17 PM
Super Moderator

Registration Date: Sep 2003

Thanks Given to Others: 29
Karma Power: 153
Tim Folkerts is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Tim Folkerts is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Tim Folkerts is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Tim Folkerts is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Tim Folkerts is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Tim Folkerts is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Tim Folkerts is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Tim Folkerts is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Tim Folkerts is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Tim Folkerts is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Tim Folkerts is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Tim Folkerts is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Tim Folkerts is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Tim Folkerts is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Tim Folkerts is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Tim Folkerts is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.

Brian,

There are two challenges before even getting started with fitting a bell curve to the data.

* The data does not seem to follow a bell curve to begin with. There is perhaps some slight rise in the middle, but there are larger variations from one bin to the next.

* The bins are different widths. The narrowest bins are about 1/3 the width of the widest bins. This would naturally put more items into the wide bins (although that does not necessarily be the case in the actual data). Figuring out how to properly fit a bell curve in that case will be CONSIDERABLY more difficult than if the bins are the same width.

Tim F

P.S. I am assuming that the "OD Size" is the way you are sorting the items (the 'bins') and the "Footage" is how much you got of that category.

To wonder is to begin to understand.
Old 22nd August 2008, 04:57 AM
Inactive Registered Visitor

Registration Date: Oct 2003

Thanks Given to Others: 0
Karma Power: 44
mclaubee has less than 100 Karma points so far.

If you just want to "draw" a bell curve, you may try to add a 4th or 5th order polynomial trendline to you data.
Old 22nd August 2008, 09:22 AM
Shy Poster (1 to 5 Posts)

Registration Date: Feb 2008

Thanks Given to Others: 6
Karma Power: 27
bbrandon has less than 100 Karma points so far.
Re: How Can I Create a Bell curve in Excel 2007

Thank you for quick responses, it did shine some light on the issue. Does any body know where I can locate the Analysis Tool pack to be loaded.
Old 22nd August 2008, 08:00 PM
Involved in Discussions

Registration Date: Apr 2007

Thanks Given to Others: 7
Karma Power: 33
S Johnson is appreciated, and has over 100 Karma points.S Johnson is appreciated, and has over 100 Karma points.

Try "Tools", "Add Ins" and select it from the list. I think it is built into all Excel Programs, but it must be added using the Add In menu.
Old 26th August 2008, 03:12 AM
Involved - Posts

Registration Date: Jan 2005

Thanks Given to Others: 18
Karma Power: 50
sathis is appreciated, and has over 700 Karma points.sathis is appreciated, and has over 700 Karma points.sathis is appreciated, and has over 700 Karma points.sathis is appreciated, and has over 700 Karma points.sathis is appreciated, and has over 700 Karma points.sathis is appreciated, and has over 700 Karma points.sathis is appreciated, and has over 700 Karma points.
Thumbs up Re: How Can I Create a Bell curve in Excel 2007

Hi

Attaching a write up on " Excel For Statistical Data Analysis"

Hope this helps

Sathish
Attached Files: 1. Scan for viruses before using, 2. Please report any 'bad' files by Reporting this post, 3. Use at your Own Risk.
File Type: pdf Excel for Statistical Analysis.pdf (1.18 MB, 1398 views)
Thank You to sathis for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Old 15th February 2009, 07:00 PM
Stop X-bar/R Madness

Registration Date: May 2002

Thanks Given to Others: 1,302
Thanked 1,448 Times in 1,096 Posts
Karma Power: 461
bobdoering is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.bobdoering is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.bobdoering is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
bobdoering is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.bobdoering is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.bobdoering is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Send a message via Yahoo to bobdoering

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by bbrandon View Post

I guess my question is what is the process? Maybe it should not fall into a normal distribution. Just seeing the term "O.D." makes me suspicious....

Sawtooth curve in a bell shaped hole? Doesn't fit...

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Common Quality Assurance Processes and Tools > Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis > Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools / Solutions > Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools

Do you find this discussion thread helpful and informational?