Have a nice Halloween!
Elsmar Cove Forum Header Graphic The Elsmar Cove Wiki More Free Files The Elsmar Cove Forums Discussion Thread Index Post Attachments Listing Failure Modes Services and Solutions to Problems Elsmar cove Forums Main Page Elsmar Cove Home Page
NQA-USA
NQA-USA
Miner's MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) Blog 
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Aerospace and Aviation Standards and Requirements > AS9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements
Forum Username

Search the Elsmar Cove
Search Elsmar
Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Follow Marc & Elsmar
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed  Marc Smith's Google+ Page  Marc Smith's Linked In Page   Marc Smith's Elsmar Cove YouTube Page  Marc Smith's Facebook Page  Elsmar Cove Twitter Feed
Elsmar Cove Groups
Elsmar Cove Google+ Group  Elsmar Cove LinkedIn Group  Elsmar Cove Facebook Group
Donate and $ Contributor Forum Access
Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

Howard's
International Quality Services
Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting
Bob Doering's
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook
IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors
SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers
Quality Digest Portal
IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology
ASQ - American Society for Quality

Related Topic Tags
internal audits, process audits

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
Old 2nd September 2008, 12:56 PM
Involved in Discussions

Registration Date: May 2008

Thanks Given to Others: 45
Karma Power: 35
ValleyGirl has less than 100 Karma points so far.
Please Help! Internal Audit - Process based vs. Procedure based

When conducting internal audits we have used AS9101. Our auditor tells me that we need to use a process based audit procedure - not audit to standard requirements. I was hoping I could get some help on how you conduct this type audit. Does anyone have a process based audit checklist?

Sponsored Links
Old 2nd September 2008, 12:59 PM
Forum Administrator

Registration Date: Sep 2006

Thanks Given to Others: 1,424
Thanked 2,005 Times in 1,344 Posts
Karma Power: 400
BradM is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.BradM is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
BradM is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Re: Internal Audit-Process based vs. procedure based

I changed the title for clarification. Let me or another moderator know if you would like it re-worded.

If you appreciate The Cove, please consider contributing: http://elsmar.com/subscribe.html
Thanks to BradM for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Sponsored Links

Old 2nd September 2008, 01:20 PM
Forum Moderator

Registration Date: Jan 2004

Thanks Given to Others: 3,435
Thanked 3,185 Times in 1,823 Posts
Karma Power: 655
Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by ValleyGirl View Post

When conducting internal audits we have used AS9101. Our auditor tells me that we need to use a process based audit procedure - not audit to standard requirements. I was hoping I could get some help on how you conduct this type audit. Does anyone have a process based audit checklist?
To make my audits process based, I make special checklists for each process based on the procedures, and use "Plan-Do-Check-Act" as a basic framework for asking questions. I ask about inputs, activities, improvements, how success is understood, how corrections are done, specific controls, and the essentials like awareness and communications.

Sometimes I use a turtle diagram and make a process flow chart.

I don't post checklists because using them too often steers the auditor back to what amounts to inspection versus true process auditing.

"If you only have a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail." Abraham Maslow
Thanks to Jennifer Kirley for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Old 2nd September 2008, 02:10 PM
Super Moderator

Registration Date: Jun 1999

Thanks Given to Others: 48
Thanked 2,723 Times in 1,671 Posts
Karma Power: 927
Randy is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Randy is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Randy is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Randy is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Randy is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Randy is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Randy is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Randy is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Randy is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Randy is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Randy is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Randy is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Randy is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Randy is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Randy is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Send a message via Skype™ to Randy

1st...he would need to show me a solid "shall"

But....What type of process is he referrining to? If one carefully and objectively looks at the requirements of AS9100 (basically ISO 9001 on steroids) one would see that every requirement from 4.1 to 8.5.3 has the needs for input, creates an output and does something in between (oh my gosh, that's the definition of process)

As for a process checklist.........never happen. Why? Because the process most likely being referred to is that of "YOUR" system and organization so any checklist must be tailor made for you and you alone.

This isn't rocket science...I know because I worked with rocket scientists at Aerojet and Northrop Grumman and they didn't do this. Simply identify what it is you do (or in this case want to audit), what are the necessary inputs, what are the desired outputs, how do you make it all happen, and how do you monitor or measure everything to show effectiveness of the whole mess. Then just get the evidence that it is occuring as planned. TA-DAAAAAAAAAAAA! Process Approach.

Take something simple like the document control process.........break it all down (maybe use a Turtle to help) and go for it.

We who have seen war, will never stop seeing it. In the silence of the night, we will always hear the screams. Joe Galloway
Thank You to Randy for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Old 2nd September 2008, 05:10 PM
Appreciated Member

Registration Date: May 2004

Thanks Given to Others: 111
Karma Power: 110
Jeff Frost is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jeff Frost is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jeff Frost is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jeff Frost is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jeff Frost is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jeff Frost is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jeff Frost is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jeff Frost is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jeff Frost is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jeff Frost is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jeff Frost is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jeff Frost is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.

When my organization started to wean itself from clause based (like AS9101) to process based audits we used sticky notes. First two notes contained the input and output information. We then went through our process documentation and wrote short to the point statements about what was required of the process referencing the procedure number and paragraph number.

After completing this exercise we then grouped together stick notes with similar requirements and then created simple flow chart combining the similar requirements into even more simplified to the point statements that we use to audit the process.

As we gained experience with process based auditing we moved away from creating flow charts and now follow a standard format which we complete. Our format consists of ten informational boxes which are group as follows:

Process Name
Process Owners
Top Level Control Procedures
Sub-process Procedures
Key Personnel
Inputs to Process
Summary of Process Steps
Output from the Process
Next Step in the Process
Documents and Records Reviewed By the Auditor.

This standard format is used to collect audit information that we use to complete the audit report and it is not retained. When a process procedure changes we update this information for the next audit of the process.
Thank You to Jeff Frost for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Old 2nd September 2008, 05:18 PM
A problem shared...

Registration Date: Feb 2005

Thanks Given to Others: 4,533
Thanked 3,438 Times in 2,324 Posts
Karma Power: 875
AndyN is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.AndyN is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.AndyN is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
AndyN is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.AndyN is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.AndyN is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.AndyN is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.AndyN is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.AndyN is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.AndyN is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.AndyN is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.AndyN is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.AndyN is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.AndyN is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Caution Re: Internal Audit - Process based vs. Procedure based

Quote:

Your auditor did you a favor! AS9100 internal audits aren't clause or element based. Since AS9100 is ISO 9001 based, internal audits should be process based.

You are going to be auditing a process-based qms, so you should - as we've posted here countless times - not be auditing to the standard, but auditing what your qms descriptions are. Hence, your planning for your audit should be based on whatever your process documentation says, plus some other considerations like customer requirements, FAA regs etc. Throw in there the organizations own objectives etc. for the process, plus its current performance and we might be humming........

Take a look in the attachments for my audit 'football' (Randy forgot to mention it - he's an animal lover) and see if that helps you.......

'Cause you know sometimes words have two meanings.....
Thanks to AndyN for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Old 2nd September 2008, 05:31 PM
Involved in Discussions

Registration Date: May 2008

Thanks Given to Others: 45
Karma Power: 35
ValleyGirl has less than 100 Karma points so far.
Re: Internal Audit - Process based vs. Procedure based

Take a look in the attachments for my audit 'football' (Randy forgot to mention it - he's an animal lover) and see if that helps you.......[/quote]

I must know - what do you mean Randy is an animal lover??

I'll take a look at the "Audit Football" attachment.
Old 2nd September 2008, 05:35 PM
A problem shared...

Registration Date: Feb 2005

Thanks Given to Others: 4,533
Thanked 3,438 Times in 2,324 Posts
Karma Power: 875
AndyN is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.AndyN is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.AndyN is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
AndyN is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.AndyN is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.AndyN is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.AndyN is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.AndyN is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.AndyN is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.AndyN is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.AndyN is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.AndyN is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.AndyN is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.AndyN is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Laughing Re: Internal Audit - Process based vs. Procedure based

Quote:

Take a look in the attachments for my audit 'football' (Randy forgot to mention it - he's an animal lover) and see if that helps you.......
I must know - what do you mean Randy is an animal lover??

I'll take a look at the "Audit Football" attachment.[/QUOTE]

He mentioned 'Turtles'..........

'Cause you know sometimes words have two meanings.....

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Aerospace and Aviation Standards and Requirements > AS9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements

Do you find this discussion thread helpful and informational?