The Elsmar Cove Wiki More Free Files The Elsmar Cove Forums Discussion Thread Index Post Attachments Listing Failure Modes Services and Solutions to Problems Elsmar cove Forums Main Page Elsmar Cove Home Page
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Common Quality Assurance Processes and Tools > Documentation Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates
Forum Username

Search the Elsmar Cove
Custom Search
Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Follow Marc & Elsmar
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed  Marc Smith's Google+ Page  Marc Smith's Linked In Page   Marc Smith's Elsmar Cove YouTube Page  Marc Smith's Facebook Page  Elsmar Cove Twitter Feed
Elsmar Cove Groups
Elsmar Cove Google+ Group  Elsmar Cove LinkedIn Group  Elsmar Cove Facebook Group
Sponsor Links

Donate and $ Contributor Forum Access

Click the graphic above.
Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

Howard's
International Quality Services
Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting
Bob Doering's
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook
IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors
SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers
Quality Digest Portal
IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology
ASQ - American Society for Quality

Related Topic Tags
document control

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
Old 8th October 2008, 04:04 PM
Shy Poster (1 to 5 Posts)

Registration Date: Jan 2008

Thanks Given to Others: 0
Karma Power: 27
Squiggy has less than 100 Karma points so far.
Please Help! Examples of major problems caused by Poor document control

Hi,
Has anyone an example of where poor control of documents has caused a major problem?
I'm hoping someone can give an example e.g where a military battle was lost or a major construction project failed etc.
This is to be used in a training presentation to get the message across to those within my organisation who do not understand the basic need to control documentation.
The funnier the better!
Cheers
Squiggy

Sponsored Links
Old 8th October 2008, 04:32 PM
Forum Moderator

Registration Date: Feb 2005

Thanks Given to Others: 4,401
Thanked 3,314 Times in 2,246 Posts
Karma Power: 852
AndyN is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.AndyN is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.AndyN is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
AndyN is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.AndyN is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.AndyN is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.AndyN is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.AndyN is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.AndyN is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.AndyN is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.AndyN is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Send a message via Skype™ to AndyN
Laughing Re: Poor document control

Back in 1993 I had to complete a ton of forms to get life insurance with Prudential. Spending an evening with an insurance sales manager is not my idea of well spent time! So, imagine my frustration when I was (joyfully) told we'd have to do it over, because the salesman had picked up the 'wrong form' - it had been recently updated!

I told him (as a small, 'inside joke') that I wanted to audit their office and that he'd be better off if he was out meeting a new client instead of spending time with me (again)! He didn't quite see it that way!

Well, I thought it was funny, even if not earth shattering.....

'Cause you know sometimes words have two meanings.....
Sponsored Links

Old 8th October 2008, 04:33 PM
Quality Manager

Registration Date: Sep 2003

Thanks Given to Others: 509
Thanked 2,991 Times in 1,931 Posts
Karma Power: 1175
Wes Bucey is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Wes Bucey is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Wes Bucey is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Wes Bucey is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Wes Bucey is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Wes Bucey is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Wes Bucey is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Wes Bucey is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Re: Poor document control

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Squiggy View Post

Hi,
Has anyone an example of where poor control of documents has caused a major problem?
I'm hoping someone can give an example e.g where a military battle was lost or a major construction project failed etc.
This is to be used in a training presentation to get the message across to those within my organisation who do not understand the basic need to control documentation.
The funnier the better!
Cheers
Squiggy
In my experience, it isn't the BIG SNAFUs with Document Control, but the countless small ones which insidiously erode the efficiency of the organization, often making the difference between a successful, profitable one and the hopelessly ineffectual, bankrupt one.

If it takes ten minutes to retrieve a document instead of five, what profit-making activity could be performed in the accumulated segments of five minutes over a week? a month? a year? Multiply by the number of documents and the number of folks and you may just have the AHA! moment you request as your audience gets the impact of the trite aphorism:
The Devil is in the details!

"Few minds wear out; more rust out"
Inscribed over the entrance of Louis Pasteur School, Chicago
Christian Nestell Bovee (1820-1904) in Thoughts, Feelings and Fancies, 1857
Old 8th October 2008, 05:40 PM
Koala T

Registration Date: May 2003

Thanks Given to Others: 44
Karma Power: 63
Sean Kelley is appreciated, and has over 200 Karma points.Sean Kelley is appreciated, and has over 200 Karma points.Sean Kelley is appreciated, and has over 200 Karma points.

I worked for a stainless steel mill that had a document control problem concerning drawings. Purchasing ordered hot mill reduction rolls to an out of date specification because no one updated the drawings to the updates and when the rolls came in and needed to be replaced they would not work. This was huge because it takes 6 months to order these special rolls and they are incredibly expensive. This cost them millions of dollars because they had to baby the mill along at 40% capacity in order to ensure not breaking the roll and the rolls that were ordered were unable to be used or modified for use. All this over an out of date drawing which made a very big issue. No one was ever disciplined and the system remianed the same. This certainly was a lesson to be learned and just became a faint memory.
Old 8th October 2008, 09:38 PM
An Early Cover

Registration Date: Jul 2003

Thanks Given to Others: 204
Karma Power: 143
Caster is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Caster is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Caster is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Caster is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Caster is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Sean Kelley View Post

I.. Purchasing ordered hot mill reduction rolls to an out of date specification because no one updated the drawings to the updates ...This cost them millions of dollars

Wow, you win? with that one.

We once had a customer call and ask if we could send them a copy of THEIR blueprints because they were undergoing an ISO audit and they had lost control of their own drawings.

We also had to buy an x-ray system in a rush because Sales was going to "work their magic" and make that requirement go away. The customer engineers drank our beer and appreciated the "entertainment" but kept the x-ray requirement once they got back to the office. If I recall, there were no repercussions for Sales, but we sure were busy for quite a while cleaning up their mess.
Old 9th October 2008, 07:34 AM
Super Moderator

Registration Date: Jun 1999

Thanks Given to Others: 48
Thanked 2,690 Times in 1,651 Posts
Karma Power: 923
Randy is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Randy is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Randy is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Randy is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Randy is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Randy is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Randy is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Randy is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Randy is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Randy is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Randy is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Randy is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Randy is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Randy is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Send a message via Skype™ to Randy
Re: Examples of major problems caused by Poor document control

Yep, a big messy one.

In 1973-74 the city where I lived was having a water tower built (about 1 million gallons). Somebody like an engineer or draftsman inadvertantly modified the plans with some kind of mark that meant to eliminate certain aspects of the tower during construction. While the tower was being filled and during the celebration of its opening the tower burst at the seams and over 300,000 gallons of water flooded the area including some homes

Some re-inforcing bracing and a walkway had been eliminated because of the change and the integrity of the tower had been compromised because of the "document revision" without review and approval.

We who have seen war, will never stop seeing it. In the silence of the night, we will always hear the screams. Joe Galloway
Old 9th October 2008, 08:59 AM
Courtesy Access

Registration Date: Jun 2006

Thanks Given to Others: 8
Karma Power: 122
Duke Okes is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Duke Okes is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Duke Okes is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Duke Okes is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Duke Okes is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Duke Okes is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Duke Okes is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Duke Okes is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Duke Okes is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Duke Okes is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Duke Okes is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Squiggy View Post

Hi,
Has anyone an example of where poor control of documents has caused a major problem? I'm hoping someone can give an example e.g where a military battle was lost or a major construction project failed etc.
This is to be used in a training presentation to get the message across to those within my organisation who do not understand the basic need to control documentation.The funnier the better!Cheers Squiggy
I prefer to use examples people can personally relate to, such as not having your drivers license with you when pulled over by a state trooper, not putting the new expiration sticker on your license plate (which can result in your getting pulled over), ...
Old 9th October 2008, 10:15 AM
Appreciated Information Resource

Registration Date: Aug 2008

Thanks Given to Others: 1,160
Thanked 2,491 Times in 1,528 Posts
Karma Power: 413
MIREGMGR is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.MIREGMGR is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.MIREGMGR is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.MIREGMGR is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.MIREGMGR is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
MIREGMGR is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.MIREGMGR is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.MIREGMGR is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.MIREGMGR is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.MIREGMGR is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.

The US Coast Guard recently launched the "first article" of a new generation of coastal patrol ships, designed by a low-bid outside contractor with minimized oversight and control by USCG personnel in order to lower project costs. One of the intended design features is a modular "power pack" for the ship's engines and closely related equipment, intended to be able to be hoisted vertically into and out of the ship's lowermost hull extent at overhaul time and quickly replaced with a second power pack so that overhaul time can be minimized and therefore the ship's duty-availability days/year can be maximized. This hoisting is to occur through a hoistway that is cleared by temporarily unbolting and lifting out modular sections of the ship's internal structure and upper-hull functional equipment.

Ships are built with internal "frames", lateral structural elements sort of like human ribs that reinforce the hull. These are spaced every 25 feet or so in this case. Ships' internal design features are always considered in regard to which frames will structurally support them, and between which they must fit.

My understanding is that one team of outside contractor engineers was responsible for design and functionality of upper-amidships hull functionality and structures, and another team the corresponding lower-amidships functionality and structures. Due to a design/document control mistake, the powerpack location and corresponding lower-hull hoistway were mis-aligned with the upper-hull hoistway by one frame...and this wasn't discovered until the ship costs were essentially 100% committed, with subcontractor elements of the ship already built, delivered to the final assembly shipyard, and partly assembled.

For cost reasons they built the first ship anyway. My understanding is that the revised intent is that when the time comes for the first powerpack maintenance cycle, they will tear the ship apart and rebuild it per a revised design yet to be created that will make engine access possible.

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Common Quality Assurance Processes and Tools > Documentation Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates

Do you find this discussion thread helpful and informational?