Elsmar Cove Forum Header Graphic The Elsmar Cove Wiki More Free Files The Elsmar Cove Forums Discussion Thread Index Post Attachments Listing Failure Modes Services and Solutions to Problems Elsmar cove Forums Main Page Elsmar Cove Home Page
Miner's MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) Blog 
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > ISO (International Organization for Standardization) Standards > ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 - Quality Management Systems > ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 - Questions and Discussions
Forum Username

Wooden Line

Statutory vs. Regulatory requirements - ISO 9001:2008, clause 1.1 Note 2

Wooden Line
Search the Elsmar Cove
Search Elsmar
Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Follow Marc & Elsmar
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed  Marc Smith's Google+ Page  Marc Smith's Linked In Page   Marc Smith's Elsmar Cove YouTube Page  Marc Smith's Facebook Page  Elsmar Cove Twitter Feed
Elsmar Cove Groups
Elsmar Cove Google+ Group  Elsmar Cove LinkedIn Group  Elsmar Cove Facebook Group
Donate and $ Contributor Forum Access
Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

Howard's
International Quality Services
Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting
Bob Doering's
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook
IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors
SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers
Quality Digest Portal
IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology
ASQ - American Society for Quality

Related Topic Tags
statutory requirements, regulations and regulatory requirements, iso 9001 - quality management systems

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
Old 16th October 2008, 06:41 AM
Boncho Antonov

Question Statutory vs. Regulatory requirements - ISO 9001:2008, clause 1.1 Note 2

1.1 Note 2
Statutory and regulatory requirements can be expressed as legal requirements

Hi,
Please, tell examples for only "statutory" and only "regulatory" requirements. How do they differ?
Does "legal" is the term which really combine "statutory" and "regulatory" and why?

Note: Let me say, English is not my native language...

Thanks,
BA

Sponsored Links
Old 16th October 2008, 07:18 AM
D.Scott

Re: Statutory vs. Regulatory requirements - ISO 9001:2008, clause 1.1 Note 2

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Boncho Antonov View Post

1.1 Note 2
Statutory and regulatory requirements can be expressed as legal requirements

Hi,
Please, tell examples for only "statutory" and only "regulatory" requirements. How do they differ?
Does "legal" is the term which really combine "statutory" and "regulatory" and why?

Note: Let me say, English is not my native language...

Thanks,
BA
Hi BA,

Don't worry about your English. It is just fine. It is sure a lot better than my Bulgarian.

In the context of the ISO Standard, you don't need to put an emphasis on a difference in the two terms. They could easily be stated together in the term "legal" as you say.

I look at the word "Statutory" as meaning written law. Usually in a higher position like state or country. You could pick up a law book and actually read a "statute" saying you can't (or must) do something.

I look at "regulatory" as something that is limited by an authoritative group. Like the EPA saying you can only allow a certain amount of emissions to escape the workplace.

I hope this helps.

Dave
Thank You to D.Scott for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Sponsored Links

Old 16th October 2008, 08:10 AM
Boncho Antonov

Thanks, Dave!
Yes, It helps. I am trying to understand and compare the equivalency ot terms used in our legal system with those from the standard. Probably some other examples may make things more clear... Trying also to understand why TC176 has added "statutory" in 2008 version
Old 16th October 2008, 08:31 AM
harry

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Boncho Antonov View Post

Thanks, Dave!
Yes, It helps. I am trying to understand and compare the equivalency ot terms used in our legal system with those from the standard. Probably some other examples may make things more clear... Trying also to understand why TC176 has added "statutory" in 2008 version
Welcome,

If you tell us what you or your organization is manufacturing, we should be able to give you examples related to what you do.
Old 16th October 2008, 09:06 AM
Boncho Antonov

Hi, Harry!
It's a question for principal and formal explanation only at a definitions level (apart of these in vocabularies). Not related with specific business area, but generated in the context of QMS field.
BA
Old 17th October 2008, 03:18 AM
tony wardle

Damned good question!

Would things such as the EU rules of origin, CE marking, the US Berry Ammendment, Wassenar Agreement and those sorts of international trade rules not constitute part of Regulatory requirements, while Statutory requirements would encompass laws within a country, pertaining to that country only??

I must say, we have been asked about these in our audits, but as yet have no clue as to the exact interpretation.
Old 17th October 2008, 05:12 AM
harry

Have a look at Paul's 'Agony Uncle' Column for this Month - "How much do I need to change our quality management system to meet the additional emphasis on statutory and regulatory requirements (SRR)?"

Quote:
Having said all that, the new wording for SRR is essentially a clarification of existing requirements under ISO 9001:2000. Your system should already be covering these requirements and your third-party auditor should have been checking these throughout the time you have been registered.
Old 10th September 2009, 02:03 AM
chayumi

hello everyone...i like the clarifications between the two requirements... Anyways, can anybody give me samples of these legal requirements? We are actually an exporting company of fresh produce specifically bananas. Do you have any related references on this? We are now into certification of the 9001:2008 version.

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > ISO (International Organization for Standardization) Standards > ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 - Quality Management Systems > ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 - Questions and Discussions

Do you find this discussion thread helpful and informational?