The Elsmar Cove Wiki More Free Files The Elsmar Cove Forums Discussion Thread Index Post Attachments Listing Failure Modes Services and Solutions to Problems Elsmar cove Forums Main Page Elsmar Cove Home Page
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Common Quality Assurance Processes and Tools > Documentation Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates
Forum Username

Search the Elsmar Cove
Custom Search
Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Follow Marc & Elsmar
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed  Marc Smith's Google+ Page  Marc Smith's Linked In Page   Marc Smith's Elsmar Cove YouTube Page  Marc Smith's Facebook Page  Elsmar Cove Twitter Feed
Elsmar Cove Groups
Elsmar Cove Google+ Group  Elsmar Cove LinkedIn Group  Elsmar Cove Facebook Group
Sponsor Links

Donate and $ Contributor Forum Access
Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

Howard's
International Quality Services
Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting
Bob Doering's
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook
IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors
SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers
Quality Digest Portal
IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology
ASQ - American Society for Quality

Related Topic Tags
work instructions (wi)

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
Old 29th October 2008, 03:00 PM
Mountain Lover

Registration Date: Mar 2006

Thanks Given to Others: 6
Karma Power: 40
Sharon_Noble has less than 100 Karma points so far.
I Say... How to write understandable work instructions

Is there some kind of tutorial or standard out there that I can give our employees who create work instructions? Some of them seem to think that they are writing process instructions for engineers instead of production associates. I have come across some pretty bad work instructions, especially when auditing the shop floor. I have heard that the work instructions should never be written above a grade 6 reading comprehension level is this accurate? Not that the production employees are illiterate, just that for some, English is not their first language, and all our instruction are in English with pictures for clarifications.
I would appreciate any help on this as I seem to be fighting a losing battle when I write up an NC that a work instruction isn't "Legible" and I get...."Sure its legible I can read it!"
thanks

Question: "Looks like you've been missing work quite a bit lately?"
Answer: "I wouldn't say I've been "missing" it!" :biglaugh:

Sponsored Links
Old 29th October 2008, 03:19 PM
Cross Forum Moderator

Registration Date: Jan 2005

Thanks Given to Others: 1,989
Thanked 5,848 Times in 3,735 Posts
Karma Power: 1510
Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Re: How to write understandable work instructions

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Sharon_Noble View Post

Is there some kind of tutorial or standard out there that I can give our employees who create work instructions? Some of them seem to think that they are writing process instructions for engineers instead of production associates. I have come across some pretty bad work instructions, especially when auditing the shop floor. I have heard that the work instructions should never be written above a grade 6 reading comprehension level is this accurate? Not that the production employees are illiterate, just that for some, English is not their first language, and all our instruction are in English with pictures for clarifications.
I would appreciate any help on this as I seem to be fighting a losing battle when I write up an NC that a work instruction isn't "Legible" and I get...."Sure its legible I can read it!"
thanks
"Legible" and "understandable" are two different things. Something that's incomprehensible may be legibly written. As far as writing skills are concerned, the writing of work instructions (and other documentation) is best left in the hands of someone who knows how to do it. Perhaps you have a few people in your company who can take the raw (and poorly-written) material and rewrite it.

It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it. --Upton Sinclair
Thank You to Jim Wynne for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Sponsored Links

Old 29th October 2008, 03:34 PM
Living the Dream...

Registration Date: Aug 2000

Thanks Given to Others: 44
Karma Power: 98
Tom W is appreciated, and has over 500 Karma points.Tom W is appreciated, and has over 500 Karma points.Tom W is appreciated, and has over 500 Karma points.Tom W is appreciated, and has over 500 Karma points.Tom W is appreciated, and has over 500 Karma points.Tom W is appreciated, and has over 500 Karma points.

It took me a long time to figure out that I can write the best work instructions, the most articulate, clearly phrased and comprehensive writing and no one might understand it...

When writing a work instruction you want to make sure you take your target audience into account. Ask for input and listen to that input. It still needs to be professional and understandable but it can also include flowcharts, diagrams, pictures, and other information that make it simple yet effective.

It's a good idea to start with asking the operators on the floor to create one originally then take that and improve on it; through formating, cleaning up the text and wording, intergrating pictures or flow diagrams where it makes sense. It's a skill to communicate effectively with the spoken word; the same goes with the written word.

Tom W
Semper FI!
"We're surrounded... that simplifies our problem." Chesty Puller
"For those who fight for it, freedom has a taste the protected will never know." --written on a C-ration box found after the siege of Khe Sanh 1968
Thank You to Tom W for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Old 29th October 2008, 03:46 PM
Not out of the crisis

Registration Date: Apr 2006

Thanks Given to Others: 173
Karma Power: 292
ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.

I'm sure you'll get a lot of good advice in this thread.
My first advice is to do a search through the forum for, say, "work instruction" or "work instruction template" or some such.
Then look through the post attachment list (the link is up at the top between the lighthouse and lightning bolt)

Personally - I like visual instructions - diagrams, photos, and flow charts.

Time for a new sig line.
My LinkedIn Profile
Old 29th October 2008, 03:49 PM
Stop X-bar/R Madness

Registration Date: May 2002

Thanks Given to Others: 1,292
Thanked 1,421 Times in 1,084 Posts
Karma Power: 457
bobdoering is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.bobdoering is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.bobdoering is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
bobdoering is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Send a message via Yahoo to bobdoering

Another good practice is to have them write a work instruction, give it to an associate not familiar with the area (target audience) and watch them try to decipher what you wrote.

Perfect practice makes perfect...
Old 29th October 2008, 04:00 PM
Mountain Lover

Jim
I agree that legible and understandable are two different things. My issue is if a production associate cannot read the work instruction because they don't understand the meaning of the words used, or the sentance structure leaves the intent of the instruction unclear, it might as well be covered in coffee stains, ripped, and partially burned.....
I have asked that the production workers have some input into the creation of work instructions but for some reason our "Pretengineers" who create these instructions feel that "hourly employees" are incapable of this task and it takes someone on "salary" to do this.

Old 29th October 2008, 04:05 PM
Mountain Lover

Here is an example of what I found...
1) "Ensure that the terminal is perpendicular to the PC board"
There were no pictures to clarify this statement so I asked 5 employees on the line what the word perpendicular meant. Only 2 out of the 5 knew what it meant. I consider that work instruction inadequate.
How do I get the person creating the instruction to understand their audiance when they refuse to actually talk to them?????

Old 29th October 2008, 04:11 PM
Not out of the crisis

Registration Date: Apr 2006

Thanks Given to Others: 173
Karma Power: 292
ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Sharon_Noble View Post

Here is an example of what I found...
1) "Ensure that the terminal is perpendicular to the PC board"
There were no pictures to clarify this statement so I asked 5 employees on the line what the word perpendicular meant. Only 2 out of the 5 knew what it meant. I consider that work instruction inadequate.
How do I get the person creating the instruction to understand their audiance when they refuse to actually talk to them?????
force the issue.

make the author form a team with users of the instruction.
Don't let it be an option.

Time for a new sig line.
My LinkedIn Profile
Thanks to ScottK for your informative Post and/or Attachment!

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Common Quality Assurance Processes and Tools > Documentation Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates

Do you find this discussion thread helpful and informational?