Elsmar Cove Forum Header Graphic The Elsmar Cove Wiki Sitemap More Free Files The Elsmar Cove Forums Discussion Thread Index Post Attachments Listing Failure Modes Services and Solutions to Problems Elsmar Cove Forums Main Page Elsmar Cove Home Page
NQA-USA
Miner's MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) Blog 
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Aerospace and Aviation Standards and Requirements > AS9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements
Forum Username

Wooden Line

Configuration Management Basics - AS9100

Search the Elsmar Cove
Search Elsmar
Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Follow Marc & Elsmar
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed  Marc Smith's Google+ Page  Marc Smith's Linked In Page   Marc Smith's Elsmar Cove YouTube Page  Marc Smith's Facebook Page  Elsmar Cove Twitter Feed
Elsmar Cove Groups
Elsmar Cove Google+ Group  Elsmar Cove LinkedIn Group  Elsmar Cove Facebook Group
Donate and $ Contributor Forum Access
Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

Howard's
International Quality Services
Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting
Bob Doering's
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook
IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors
SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers
Quality Digest Portal
IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology
ASQ - American Society for Quality

Related Topic Tags
configuration management, as9100 - aerospace quality management systems

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
  Post Number #1  
Old 19th November 2008, 03:45 PM
Koivisto - 2009

Total Posts: 48
Please Help! Configuration Management Basics - AS9100

I work for an electronics firm that is ISO/TS certified. We are working towards including AS9100 and I know there is a revision coming soon. I am trying to figure out configuration management. Can I meet the intent and requirement by making a process flow of how everything works from start to finish? We buy wire and connectors and then assemble.

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #2  
Old 19th November 2008, 04:36 PM
Koivisto - 2009

Total Posts: 48
Re: Configuration Management

Then I post and scroll down and see the same question! I'm not worthy!
Sponsored Links

Post Number #3  
Old 19th November 2008, 10:51 PM
Wes Bucey

Total Posts: 10,982
I Say... Re: Configuration Management

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Koivisto View Post

Then I post and scroll down and see the same question! I'm not worthy!
Don't beat yourself up - Configuration Management confuses many folks. Look through those threads plus use the advanced search function here in the Cove to look up "Configuration Management" - you may be "enlightened" to find a more complete definition and some interesting examples to help you understand the philosophy and activity involved in Configuration Management.

Afte you do that little bit of research, add another post in this thread with any new questions you may have about CM.
Thanks to Wes Bucey for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #4  
Old 21st November 2008, 06:24 PM
w_grunfeld

Total Posts: 231
Re: Configuration Management Basics - AS9100

If all you do is wiring harnesses (built to print or your won designs? )CM should be very, very simple. In a nutshell, all it is ,controlling the revisions of your engineering drawings (and other controlled documents) and making sure you manufacture in accordance with the correct revision of drawings.
It gets complicated for organizations with many different designs and different models, frequent design changes and so on, software with many different versions and so on.
I am not sure you can explain your system by a process flow. Just write a procedure explaining how do you revise and control engineering changes and make sure that products are assembled per the latest revision.
  Post Number #5  
Old 21st November 2008, 07:25 PM
Wes Bucey

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by w_grunfeld View Post

If all you do is wiring harnesses (built to print or your won designs? )CM should be very, very simple. In a nutshell, all it is ,controlling the revisions of your engineering drawings (and other controlled documents) and making sure you manufacture in accordance with the correct revision of drawings.
It gets complicated for organizations with many different designs and different models, frequent design changes and so on, software with many different versions and so on.
I am not sure you can explain your system by a process flow. Just write a procedure explaining how do you revise and control engineering changes and make sure that products are assembled per the latest revision.
Actually, Configuration Management is a little more involved than just shuffling papers to make sure you are using the current version of a document. See Configuration Management - Part history - How to record changes"] for brief picture of just "some" of the activity which Configuration Management entails.
  Post Number #6  
Old 22nd November 2008, 04:20 PM
w_grunfeld

Hi Wes,
Thank you for the link but trust me I don't need it, I am not the one asking what CM is- I have run Configuration Management programs for Weapoon Systems involving both hardware and software in compliance with the now defunct MIL-STD-973 and it's a bit moe complicated even than what's described in the link you provided...
However Koivisto wrote:"We buy wire and connectors and then assemble"
So why complicate him with things he doesn't need?!
  Post Number #7  
Old 22nd November 2008, 09:38 PM
Wes Bucey

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by w_grunfeld View Post

Hi Wes,
Thank you for the link but trust me I don't need it, I am not the one asking what CM is- I have run Configuration Management programs for Weapoon Systems involving both hardware and software in compliance with the now defunct MIL-STD-973 and it's a bit moe complicated even than what's described in the link you provided...
However Koivisto wrote:"We buy wire and connectors and then assemble"
So why complicate him with things he doesn't need?!
I can think of at least a dozen things to complicate wire harness assembly - I bought a number of them for aerospace/commercial aircraft. Different harness requirement for each aircraft type, for each accessory/replacement part within type. Material supplier, pricing, confirming gage, measuring length, color and rating of insulation, different size tooling for different connectors, setup on wire stripper for amount of bare wire, crimp or solder connections, type of solder, employee work instructions for specific harness type, training of employee, evaluation of training, pull test on connectors, flex test on wire and insulation so it won't crack in use, packaging requirements, mistake proofing assembly table setup, functional testing for resistance, fireproofing, documentation, installtion instructions, etc. etc. etc.

My point is: Good configuration management considers ALL those things before each and every version is put into production to ascertain whether they need to be changed/revised as well. One cannot ASSUME all other segments of the process will remain the same. It is NOT a clerk's job - it requires someone with an overview and understanding of the entire process flow from material selection and acquisition to final installation of finished assembly.
  Post Number #8  
Old 23rd November 2008, 05:06 PM
w_grunfeld

What can I say, if you lump together purchasing, design, manufacturing ,quality and even pricing as all being CM, than we must be speaking of two different things.
All the factors you have mentioned are very important, however they concern 5-10 different disciplines (depending on company size) very few of which are CM issues
My view is more "limited" and I subscribe to CM being "just" as defined in ISO10007, ANSI/EIA-649 and MIL-STD-973 do, none of which deal with the crimping tools or wire gages....
Btw, whom are you aluding to as thinkig CM is clerk's job?
Or do you consider writing a CM procedure being a clerk's job?
I thik we must have scared off our fellow cover Koivisto with our argument.
All I meant was to tell him that a procedure was a more effective way than a flowchart, to document the way they control design changes (if they design at all, they are more likely just contract manufacturer) and how they assure the product configuration matches the documentation. IN A NUTSHELL THAT'S ALL THERE IS TO CM IN THIS CASE
Yes they also need a route card, workmanship standards and more but that has nothing to do with CM, EXCEPT THAT THEY NEED TO BE CONTROLLED

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Aerospace and Aviation Standards and Requirements > AS9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements

Do you find this discussion thread helpful and informational?