Elsmar Cove Forum Header Graphic The Elsmar Cove Wiki More Free Files The Elsmar Cove Forums Discussion Thread Index Post Attachments Listing Failure Modes Services and Solutions to Problems Elsmar cove Forums Main Page Elsmar Cove Home Page
Miner's MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) Blog 
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > ISO (International Organization for Standardization) Standards > ISO 10013 - Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals
Forum Username

Wooden Line

Quality Manual and Procedures Manual for Small Service Business

Wooden Line
Search the Elsmar Cove
Search Elsmar
Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Follow Marc & Elsmar
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed  Marc Smith's Google+ Page  Marc Smith's Linked In Page   Marc Smith's Elsmar Cove YouTube Page  Marc Smith's Facebook Page  Elsmar Cove Twitter Feed
Elsmar Cove Groups
Elsmar Cove Google+ Group  Elsmar Cove LinkedIn Group  Elsmar Cove Facebook Group
Donate and $ Contributor Forum Access
Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

Howard's
International Quality Services
Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting
Bob Doering's
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook
IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors
SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers
Quality Digest Portal
IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology
ASQ - American Society for Quality

Related Topic Tags
quality manual(s), service company or industry, quality system manuals, small companies (small businesses)

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
Old 25th November 2008, 05:40 AM
comedyjester

Thank You! Quality Manual and Procedures Manual for Small Service Business

I am writing a Quality Manual and Procedures Manual for a small service company.

We provide consultancy and workshops for the Hospitality and Leisure Industry and we have under ten staff.

Most of the manuals I have seen seem to be for larger companies and production companies.

Can anyone point me in the direction of examples for small service businesses?

Ideally I would like to have a look at the contents pages.

Thanks

Richard

Sponsored Links
Old 25th November 2008, 05:56 AM
achorste

Re: Quality Manual and Procedures Manual for Small Service Business

Morning Richard,

There are a few mandatory items in quality manuals (assuming you're looking at ISO 9001 style manuals) such as quality policy, contract review, corrective action etc but the most important thing is for it to describe your processes and how you perform each function in enough detail that the people working with the procedures understand everything they have to do.

I wouldn't start off looking at other peoples manuals - their manual isn't for your business afterall.

Try mapping the process out from the first point you receive an enquiry (or even earlier with marketing) through to the point where you receive the money and perform the function (or later with soliciting feedback for continual improvement). Through this you can identify your key business functions - each of those should be represented in your manual.

Will you be seeking certification to any particular standard e.g. ISO9001?
Sponsored Links

Old 25th November 2008, 06:04 AM
comedyjester

We will be looking for ISO 2001.

I just didnt want to start a quality manual only to have to change it drastically later.

I also dont want to put too much in so was therefore looking for a standard contents for a small service company.

I will try what you suggest but the combinations and permutations could be enormous and it would be good to havce some suggested groupings. e.g. Purchasing. The procedure to buy a computer is completely different to buying a pen and I could write procedures for each. (We do actually have a Procurement strategy so i will use that but the example is still valid to show my problem with other procedures).
Old 25th November 2008, 06:24 AM
achorste

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by comedyjester View Post

We will be looking for ISO 2001.
Not one I'm familiar with, google's no help either - the requirements may be different on this one to other ISO management systems.

Quote:
I just didnt want to start a quality manual only to have to change it drastically later.
How much will your business be changing in the next year? Will there be any processes changing?

Quote:
I will try what you suggest but the combinations and permutations could be enormous and it would be good to havce some suggested groupings. e.g. Purchasing. The procedure to buy a computer is completely different to buying a pen and I could write procedures for each. (We do actually have a Procurement strategy so i will use that but the example is still valid to show my problem with other procedures).
You may not need to go into that much detail. Genreally I would kep this "top level", e.g. "Customer Enquiry", "Purchase consumables" etc

As an example contents I would probably expect the following:

Scope
Document Control
Quality Policy
Management responsibility, planning & review
Employee training
Customer enquiries
Product realisation
Purchasing - consumables
Purchasing - capital expenditure / equipment
Measurement Analysis & Improvement
Customer complaints / feedback
Corrective / Preventive actions
Internal audit

I may be completely off the mark however - I do not know your business but generally those headings should give you a start. Don't be afraid of rewording titles or breaking procedures down - it's your manual and it shouldn't be a copy of the standard word for word.
Old 25th November 2008, 06:32 AM
comedyjester

Thanks for that.

What is expect with "Product realisation" for a service company? Could this be "Service Realisation?"
Old 25th November 2008, 06:41 AM
achorste

Yeah - product and / or service.
Old 25th November 2008, 07:27 AM
Randy

Look at the upper left hand corner of this page and you'll see a Green button marked "Post Attachments" ...there are probably 50 examples of manuals at your disposal for free including one that is on a single sheet of paper.
Old 25th November 2008, 08:14 AM
harry

Scroll down to the "Similar Discussion Threads" box below. There are at least 3 similar threads with some good advice therein.

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > ISO (International Organization for Standardization) Standards > ISO 10013 - Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals

Do you find this discussion thread helpful and informational?