The Elsmar Cove Wiki More Free Files The Elsmar Cove Forums Discussion Thread Index Post Attachments Listing Failure Modes Services and Solutions to Problems Elsmar cove Forums Main Page Elsmar Cove Home Page
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Manufacturing, Service, and Business Systems Processes > Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards
Forum Username

Search the Elsmar Cove
Custom Search
Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Follow Marc & Elsmar
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed  Marc Smith's Google+ Page  Marc Smith's Linked In Page   Marc Smith's Elsmar Cove YouTube Page  Marc Smith's Facebook Page  Elsmar Cove Twitter Feed
Elsmar Cove Groups
Elsmar Cove Google+ Group  Elsmar Cove LinkedIn Group  Elsmar Cove Facebook Group
Sponsor Links

Donate and $ Contributor Forum Access

Click the graphic above.
Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

Howard's
International Quality Services
Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting
Bob Doering's
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook
IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors
SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers
Quality Digest Portal
IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology
ASQ - American Society for Quality

Related Topic Tags
samples and sampling plans, confidence reliability (statistics), reliability analysis and testing

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 5th December 2008, 05:39 PM
Involved in Discussions

Registration Date: Jul 2008

Thanks Given to Others: 5
Karma Power: 26
doops has less than 100 Karma points so far.
Please Help! Validate 99.5% reliability 90% confidence - Sample size calculation

If I state a component is 99.5% reliable at 90% confidence, I can calculate the sample size needed to validate the R&C target is 460 samples. I would expect to see .5% cumulative failures in the field for the life of the product. Sample size = ln(1-C)/ln(R)

Someone has stated if the test is performed using the 95th percentile usage profile (more harsh usage profile than the median user), then I can validate the same reliability using a smaller sample size. For example, I can use a sample size of 22, to meet 99.5% reliability with 90% confidence if I use a 95th percentile usage profile. I expect .5% cumulative failures in the field for the life of the product?

Are the previous statements correct? Can I reduce the sample size from 460 to 22, and validate 99.5% reliability of the population by adjusting the usage profile?

Calculation:
I test to R90/C90, I need 22 samples.
Population Reliability = 1-(1-95th percentile user)(1-Reliability)
=1-(1-.95)(1-.9)
=R99.5%

Sponsored Links
Old 8th December 2008, 06:14 AM
Moderator here to help

Registration Date: Jan 2006

Thanks Given to Others: 941
Karma Power: 478
Coury Ferguson is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Coury Ferguson is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Coury Ferguson is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Coury Ferguson is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Coury Ferguson is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Coury Ferguson is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Coury Ferguson is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Coury Ferguson is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Coury Ferguson is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Coury Ferguson is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Coury Ferguson is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Coury Ferguson is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Coury Ferguson is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Coury Ferguson is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Coury Ferguson is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Coury Ferguson is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Re: Validate 99.5% reliability 90% confidence - Sample size calculation

Can someone help here?

"The one thing I want to leave my children is an honorable name." "It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed." Theodore Roosevelt Chicago, IL, April 10, 1899
Thanks to Coury Ferguson for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Sponsored Links

Old 12th December 2008, 05:03 PM
Willy Grunfeld

Registration Date: Jul 2005

Thanks Given to Others: 19
Karma Power: 61
w_grunfeld is appreciated, and has over 700 Karma points.w_grunfeld is appreciated, and has over 700 Karma points.w_grunfeld is appreciated, and has over 700 Karma points.w_grunfeld is appreciated, and has over 700 Karma points.w_grunfeld is appreciated, and has over 700 Karma points.w_grunfeld is appreciated, and has over 700 Karma points.w_grunfeld is appreciated, and has over 700 Karma points.

Someone has stated if the test is performed using the 95th percentile usage profile (more harsh usage profile than the median user), then I can validate the same reliability using a smaller sample size.

I never heard of 95th percentile usage profile and don't know what is meant by that. It doesn't sound right to me. The word harsher sugests you are referring to some accelaration factor. Other than temperature which can be used as an acceleration factor and for which the relationships are known I don't know of any acceleration factor that can be used readily.
Assuming that you are referring to accelerated testing, the test time can be reduced or conversely the sample size if the test time remains unchanged. I wouldn't take that formula as correct unless you have the full reference how is it derived. ooks suspicious to me

Willy Grunfeld
RAMSQ Consultant
Thanks to w_grunfeld for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Old 12th December 2008, 05:18 PM
Willy Grunfeld

Registration Date: Jul 2005

Thanks Given to Others: 19
Karma Power: 61
w_grunfeld is appreciated, and has over 700 Karma points.w_grunfeld is appreciated, and has over 700 Karma points.w_grunfeld is appreciated, and has over 700 Karma points.w_grunfeld is appreciated, and has over 700 Karma points.w_grunfeld is appreciated, and has over 700 Karma points.w_grunfeld is appreciated, and has over 700 Karma points.w_grunfeld is appreciated, and has over 700 Karma points.

"If I state a component is 99.5% reliable at 90% confidence, I can calculate the sample size needed to validate the R&C target is 460 samples. I would expect to see .5% cumulative failures in the field for the life of the product. Sample size = ln(1-C)/ln(R)"

99.5% reliable means there is a 0.995 probability it will fail at time t. You can't "expect" =calculate the number of failures without knowing the failure rate and the time.
90% confidence is just what it sounds- that there is a 90 %probability that the actual reliability will indeed be 99.5% and a 10% chance that it won't.
I don't know where did you take that formula to calculate the sample size....you can't talk about sample size without taking time into consideration. The assumption (for constant failure rate) is that 100 parts operating for 1,000 hours is the same as 1000 parts operating for 100 hours.

Willy Grunfeld
RAMSQ Consultant
Thanks to w_grunfeld for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Old 23rd December 2008, 10:53 AM
Involved in Discussions

Registration Date: Jul 2008

Thanks Given to Others: 5
Karma Power: 26
doops has less than 100 Karma points so far.

w_grunfeld, Thanks for your reply!

The sample size equation comes from the number of samples for the lower binomial confidence bound, for a zero failure test. The R&C are life targets, and the zero failure test is for 1 life. I should have clarified.

Thanks again for your response!

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Manufacturing, Service, and Business Systems Processes > Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards

Do you find this discussion thread helpful and informational?