Calibrating Lufkin ID Micrometer

D

Dragonfly

It's a mystery!!!!

I have an older piece of equipment in my machine shop that needs adjusted for calibration, (it is .001 shy of it's zero) and I have no clue as to how it is calibrated.

It is a Lufkin inside mic 1.5" to 32" set with the number 681 on the barrel of the larger handle (I assume this is a model number)

There is a hole on the knurled area but it has been 'pinned' so can not access it. I have had it apart four times now seeing if I have missed anything and I even took it to one of my ASQ friends that is a calibration tech. and he had no idea either.

If anyone knows how to adjust this, has instructions from a similar set, or just plain advice because you have done it before please don't hesitate to send me anything you have. It is a nice set and in great condition.

Thanks a lot! Ree :frust:

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
It's a mystery!!!!

I have an older piece of equipment in my machine shop that needs adjusted for calibration, (it is .001 shy of it's zero) and I have no clue as to how it is calibrated.

It is a Lufkin inside mic 1.5" to 32" set with the number 681 on the barrel of the larger handle (I assume this is a model number)

There is a hole on the knurled area but it has been 'pinned' so can not access it. I have had it apart four times now seeing if I have missed anything and I even took it to one of my ASQ friends that is a calibration tech. and he had no idea either.

If anyone knows how to adjust this, has instructions from a similar set, or just plain advice because you have done it before please don't hesitate to send me anything you have. It is a nice set and in great condition.

Thanks a lot! Ree :frust:

Ree,

I found this at another Forum (Sorry Marc!). It may not be exactly what you're looking for. I'll keep searching for an instruction sheet for calibrating/adjusting this micrometer.

Stijloor.

D

Dragonfly

:( Thanks for looking, but I already found that too... and followed up on the site that was mentioned without success.

I have even contacted folks selling similar items on Ebay to see if the instructions were intact with any of the sets.

Thanks a lot for your interest though, let me know if any of you find or know anything else.

Ree

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
:( Thanks for looking, but I already found that too... and followed up on the site that was mentioned without success.

I have even contacted folks selling similar items on Ebay to see if the instructions were intact with any of the sets.

Thanks a lot for your interest though, let me know if any of you find or know anything else.

Ree

Cooper Industries is the owner of the "Lufkin" brand.

Send your question using this form.

Who knows??

Stijloor.

K

Krink

Did you have any luck with the request form. I have the same issue with a lufkin stick micrometer. The barrel screws off to expose a seating nut but when you adjust, nothing happens cause your not moving the readout.

J

JohnCTB

I have a set of Lufkin OD mics that are calibrated by removing the cap from the end of the barrel which allows you to turn the barrel on the spindle .
John

Attachments

• 04-08-10.jpg
    04-08-10.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 444
Top Bottom