The Elsmar Cove Wiki More Free Files The Elsmar Cove Forums Discussion Thread Index Post Attachments Listing Failure Modes Services and Solutions to Problems Elsmar cove Forums Main Page Elsmar Cove Home Page
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > ISO (International Organization for Standardization) Standards > ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 - Quality Management Systems > ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 - Questions and Discussions
Forum Username

Search the Elsmar Cove
Custom Search
Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Follow Marc & Elsmar
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed  Marc Smith's Google+ Page  Marc Smith's Linked In Page   Marc Smith's Elsmar Cove YouTube Page  Marc Smith's Facebook Page  Elsmar Cove Twitter Feed
Elsmar Cove Groups
Elsmar Cove Google+ Group  Elsmar Cove LinkedIn Group  Elsmar Cove Facebook Group
Sponsor Links

Donate and $ Contributor Forum Access

Click the graphic above.
Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

Howard's
International Quality Services
Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting
Bob Doering's
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook
IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors
SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers
Quality Digest Portal
IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology
ASQ - American Society for Quality

Related Topic Tags
micrometers, calibration (general topics)

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 22nd December 2008, 10:40 AM
Getting Involved (6 to 9 Posts)

Registration Date: Oct 2008

Thanks Given to Others: 9
Karma Power: 26
Dragonfly has less than 100 Karma points so far.
Send a message via Yahoo to Dragonfly
Please Help! Calibrating Lufkin ID Micrometer

It's a mystery!!!!

I have an older piece of equipment in my machine shop that needs adjusted for calibration, (it is .001 shy of it's zero) and I have no clue as to how it is calibrated.

It is a Lufkin inside mic 1.5" to 32" set with the number 681 on the barrel of the larger handle (I assume this is a model number)

There is a hole on the knurled area but it has been 'pinned' so can not access it. I have had it apart four times now seeing if I have missed anything and I even took it to one of my ASQ friends that is a calibration tech. and he had no idea either.

If anyone knows how to adjust this, has instructions from a similar set, or just plain advice because you have done it before please don't hesitate to send me anything you have. It is a nice set and in great condition.

Thanks a lot! Ree

Ree - Wind in my hair, sun in my face, time on my side... just wanna ride!

Sponsored Links
Old 22nd December 2008, 07:50 PM
Cross Forum Moderator

Registration Date: May 2003

Thanks Given to Others: 3,184
Thanked 4,508 Times in 3,193 Posts
Karma Power: 1542
Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Re: Calibrating Lufkin ID Micrometer

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Dragonfly View Post

It's a mystery!!!!

I have an older piece of equipment in my machine shop that needs adjusted for calibration, (it is .001 shy of it's zero) and I have no clue as to how it is calibrated.

It is a Lufkin inside mic 1.5" to 32" set with the number 681 on the barrel of the larger handle (I assume this is a model number)

There is a hole on the knurled area but it has been 'pinned' so can not access it. I have had it apart four times now seeing if I have missed anything and I even took it to one of my ASQ friends that is a calibration tech. and he had no idea either.

If anyone knows how to adjust this, has instructions from a similar set, or just plain advice because you have done it before please don't hesitate to send me anything you have. It is a nice set and in great condition.

Thanks a lot! Ree
Ree,

I found this at another Forum (Sorry Marc!). It may not be exactly what you're looking for. I'll keep searching for an instruction sheet for calibrating/adjusting this micrometer.

Stijloor.
Thanks to Stijloor for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Sponsored Links

Old 23rd December 2008, 06:57 AM

Thanks for looking, but I already found that too... and followed up on the site that was mentioned without success.

I have even contacted folks selling similar items on Ebay to see if the instructions were intact with any of the sets.

Thanks a lot for your interest though, let me know if any of you find or know anything else.

Ree

Old 23rd December 2008, 07:52 AM
Cross Forum Moderator

Registration Date: May 2003

Thanks Given to Others: 3,184
Thanked 4,508 Times in 3,193 Posts
Karma Power: 1542
Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Dragonfly View Post

Thanks for looking, but I already found that too... and followed up on the site that was mentioned without success.

I have even contacted folks selling similar items on Ebay to see if the instructions were intact with any of the sets.

Thanks a lot for your interest though, let me know if any of you find or know anything else.

Ree
Cooper Industries is the owner of the "Lufkin" brand.

Send your question using this form.

Who knows??

Stijloor.
Old 23rd December 2008, 08:23 AM

Thank You! Re: Calibrating Lufkin ID Micrometer

Thanks I will give it a try... who knows.

Ree

Old 31st March 2010, 11:00 AM
Involved in Discussions

Registration Date: Jun 2009

Thanks Given to Others: 2
Karma Power: 22
Krink has less than 100 Karma points so far.

Did you have any luck with the request form. I have the same issue with a lufkin stick micrometer. The barrel screws off to expose a seating nut but when you adjust, nothing happens cause your not moving the readout.
Old 8th April 2010, 11:26 AM
Involved in Discussions

Registration Date: May 2006

Thanks Given to Others: 0
Karma Power: 35
JohnCTB is appreciated, and has over 200 Karma points.JohnCTB is appreciated, and has over 200 Karma points.JohnCTB is appreciated, and has over 200 Karma points.

I have a set of Lufkin OD mics that are calibrated by removing the cap from the end of the barrel which allows you to turn the barrel on the spindle .
John
Attached Thumbnails
04-08-10.jpg  

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > ISO (International Organization for Standardization) Standards > ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 - Quality Management Systems > ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 - Questions and Discussions

Do you find this discussion thread helpful and informational?