The Elsmar Cove Wiki More Free Files The Elsmar Cove Forums Discussion Thread Index Post Attachments Listing Failure Modes Services and Solutions to Problems Elsmar cove Forums Main Page Elsmar Cove Home Page
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Elsmar Cove Forum Community Forums > Community Discussion Topics > YouTube and Videos Forum
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Search the Elsmar Cove
Custom Search
Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Follow Marc & Elsmar
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed  Marc Smith's Google+ Page  Marc Smith's Linked In Page   Marc Smith's Elsmar Cove YouTube Page  Marc Smith's Facebook Page  Elsmar Cove Twitter Feed
Elsmar Cove Groups
Elsmar Cove Google+ Group  Elsmar Cove LinkedIn Group  Elsmar Cove Facebook Group
Sponsor Links

Donate and $ Contributor Forum Access
Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

Howard's
International Quality Services
Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting
Bob Doering's
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook
IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors
SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers
Quality Digest Portal
IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology
ASQ - American Society for Quality

Related Topic Tags
music

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
Old 31st December 2008, 11:44 AM
Cross Forum Moderator

Registration Date: Jan 2005

Thanks Given to Others: 1,982
Thanked 5,841 Times in 3,731 Posts
Karma Power: 1509
Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Music The Late Great Steve Goodman

Added: This thread was moved from: http://elsmar.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=31690
Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by BradM View Post

This reminds me of a Chris Rock routine a few years back. He was on tour, and asked the group if anyone has Spice Girls CD's. No one raises their hands. Chris Rock says "Funny thing.. I'm on a world tour, and everywhere I go, no one raises their hands!" Yet, they sell 3 million copies!! Someone is buying them!

Everyone I talk to makes fun of the infomercials. But... someone is buying these things!
From the late, great Steve Goodman:

It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it. --Upton Sinclair

Last edited by BradM; 31st December 2008 at 03:54 PM. Reason: Add reference to moved thread

Sponsored Links
Old 31st December 2008, 12:24 PM
Forum Administrator

Registration Date: Sep 2006

Thanks Given to Others: 1,385
Thanked 1,911 Times in 1,295 Posts
Karma Power: 400
BradM is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
BradM is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.BradM is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.BradM is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.BradM is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.BradM is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.BradM is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.BradM is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.BradM is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.BradM is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.BradM is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.BradM is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.BradM is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.BradM is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Re: Steve Goodman

Jim, I had never heard of this guy before. Extremely talented. That was some pretty nice timing in that jingle, not to mention some decent guitar playing.

Now, 75 years later in an abundant society where people have laptops, cell phones, iPods and minds like empty rooms, I still plod along with books. ”
—Harper Lee
Sponsored Links

Old 31st December 2008, 12:55 PM
Cross Forum Moderator

Registration Date: Jan 2005

Thanks Given to Others: 1,982
Thanked 5,841 Times in 3,731 Posts
Karma Power: 1509
Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by BradM View Post

Jim, I had never heard of this guy before. Extremely talented. That was some pretty nice timing in that jingle, not to mention some decent guitar playing.
Goodman's popularity as a performer didn't extend much beyond Chicago, but he had a good deal of success as a songwriter. He ran into Arlo Guthrie in a Chicago bar one night and asked him if he could play a song for him. Guthrie agreed, on the condition that Goodman buy him a beer first, and that he would listen only as long as the beer lasted. Guthrie got his beer, and he also got "City of New Orleans," which became the best-known song for both of them.

Goodman was diagnosed with leukemia in 1969, and spent his entire performing and recording career battling the disease. He succumbed to it in 1984 at the age of 36.

It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it. --Upton Sinclair
Old 31st December 2008, 01:20 PM
Inactive Registered Visitor

Registration Date: Jan 2002

Thanks Given to Others: 323
Karma Power: 265
Craig H. is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Craig H. is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Craig H. is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Craig H. is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Craig H. is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Craig H. is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Craig H. is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Craig H. is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Craig H. is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Craig H. is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Craig H. is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Craig H. is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Craig H. is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Craig H. is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Jim Wynne View Post

Goodman's popularity as a performer didn't extend much beyond Chicago, but he had a good deal of success as a songwriter. He ran into Arlo Guthrie in a Chicago bar one night and asked him if he could play a song for him. Guthrie agreed, on the condition that Goodman buy him a beer first, and that he would listen only as long as the beer lasted. Guthrie got his beer, and he also got "City of New Orleans," which became the best-known song for both of them.

Goodman was diagnosed with leukemia in 1969, and spent his entire performing and recording career battling the disease. He succumbed to it in 1984 at the age of 36.
Is this the same Steve Goodman that wrote "You don't have to call me Darlin'", AKA the perfect country and western song, recorded by David Allen Coe?
Old 31st December 2008, 01:24 PM
Super Moderator

Registration Date: May 2003

Thanks Given to Others: 693
Karma Power: 238
Cari Spears is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Cari Spears is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Cari Spears is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Cari Spears is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Cari Spears is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Cari Spears is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Cari Spears is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Cari Spears is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Cari Spears is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Cari Spears is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Cari Spears is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.

"I was drunk ... the day my Mama got outta prison..."

First thing each morning, I try on my bathing suit. Then, nothing worse can happen the rest of the day.
Old 31st December 2008, 01:50 PM
Inactive Registered Visitor

Registration Date: Jan 2002

Thanks Given to Others: 323
Karma Power: 265
Craig H. is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Craig H. is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Craig H. is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Craig H. is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Craig H. is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Craig H. is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Craig H. is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Craig H. is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Craig H. is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Craig H. is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Craig H. is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Craig H. is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Craig H. is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Craig H. is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Craig H. View Post

Is this the same Steve Goodman that wrote "You don't have to call me Darlin'", AKA the perfect country and western song, recorded by David Allen Coe?
According to WIkipedia, they are indeed one and the same. I had never made the "City of New Orleans" connection, though. Interesting. Wiki says he wrote the Coe song with (John?) "Prine", but "Prine" refused any songwriting credit.

I'll have to see if Amazon has any cds...

"And I went to pick her up in the rain...."
Thanks to Craig H. for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Old 31st December 2008, 02:50 PM
Appreciated Member

Registration Date: Apr 2005

Thanks Given to Others: 1,181
Karma Power: 77
Doug Tropf is appreciated, and has over 1100 Karma points.Doug Tropf is appreciated, and has over 1100 Karma points.Doug Tropf is appreciated, and has over 1100 Karma points.Doug Tropf is appreciated, and has over 1100 Karma points.Doug Tropf is appreciated, and has over 1100 Karma points.Doug Tropf is appreciated, and has over 1100 Karma points.Doug Tropf is appreciated, and has over 1100 Karma points.Doug Tropf is appreciated, and has over 1100 Karma points.Doug Tropf is appreciated, and has over 1100 Karma points.

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Craig H. View Post

According to WIkipedia, they are indeed one and the same. I had never made the "City of New Orleans" connection, though. Interesting. Wiki says he wrote the Coe song with (John?) "Prine", but "Prine" refused any songwriting credit.

I'll have to see if Amazon has any cds...

"And I went to pick her up in the rain...."
As I recall, Coe's version of the song indicates that he (Coe) sat down and wrote another verse, realizing that he did not quite have the perfect country and western song.

"And I'll hang around along as you will let me...."

Things turn out best for those who make the best of the way things turn out. Jack Buck
Old 31st December 2008, 03:22 PM
VINI, VIDI, DORMIVI

Registration Date: Feb 2002

Thanks Given to Others: 20
Karma Power: 168
Randy Stewart is appreciated, and has over 1500 Karma points.Randy Stewart is appreciated, and has over 1500 Karma points.Randy Stewart is appreciated, and has over 1500 Karma points.Randy Stewart is appreciated, and has over 1500 Karma points.Randy Stewart is appreciated, and has over 1500 Karma points.Randy Stewart is appreciated, and has over 1500 Karma points.Randy Stewart is appreciated, and has over 1500 Karma points.Randy Stewart is appreciated, and has over 1500 Karma points.Randy Stewart is appreciated, and has over 1500 Karma points.Randy Stewart is appreciated, and has over 1500 Karma points.Randy Stewart is appreciated, and has over 1500 Karma points.

I believe it is on the Prime Prine album (well CD now).
First song I ever heard of by Prine was
There's a hole in Daddys arm where all the money goes.
Jesus died for nothing, I suppose.
Little pitchers have big ears, don't stop and count the years.

The line I like the best is " and sweet songs never last too long on broken radios". You gotta love it!

"What this country needs is more unemployed politicians." Edward Langley

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Elsmar Cove Forum Community Forums > Community Discussion Topics > YouTube and Videos Forum

Do you find this discussion thread helpful and informational?