Elsmar Cove Forum Header Graphic The Elsmar Cove Wiki Sitemap More Free Files The Elsmar Cove Forums Discussion Thread Index Post Attachments Listing Failure Modes Services and Solutions to Problems Elsmar Cove Forums Main Page Elsmar Cove Home Page
NQA-USA
NQA-USA
Miner's MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) Blog 
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Archived - Students and Educational Institutions > Archived - Student Research Questions - Any Educational Institution
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

Request for Research Topic to submit for an MBA Proposal

Search the Elsmar Cove
Search Elsmar
Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Follow Marc & Elsmar
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed  Marc Smith's Google+ Page  Marc Smith's Linked In Page   Marc Smith's Elsmar Cove YouTube Page  Marc Smith's Facebook Page  Elsmar Cove Twitter Feed
Elsmar Cove Groups
Elsmar Cove Google+ Group  Elsmar Cove LinkedIn Group  Elsmar Cove Facebook Group
Donate and $ Contributor Forum Access
Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

Howard's
International Quality Services
Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting
Bob Doering's
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook
IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors
SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers
Quality Digest Portal
IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology
ASQ - American Society for Quality

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
  Post Number #1  
Old 7th January 2009, 02:34 PM
Determined-A1

Total Posts: 3
Please Help! Request for Research Topic to submit for an MBA Proposal

Hello Everyone,

I happened upon this site recently which searching for information on TQM for an assignment, and have been impressed with the discussions and the information shared.

I am in the process of putting together a research topic to submit for an MBA proposal and, since I am employed in an airline catering form, it is my desire to focus research on a TQM topic related to that industry.

Would anyone be able to assist in suggesting a few topics from which I may select? I am having difficulty zeroing on one which dos not have the makings of a consultancy topic.

Regards,

Tracelyn

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #2  
Old 7th January 2009, 02:39 PM
Jennifer Kirley

Total Posts: 5,566
Re: Request for Research Topic-MBA

Welcome to The Cove!

What is a personal interest of yours? People? Saving money? Helping suppliers be successful? Making customers happy? Improving the community? Making machines and processes work like a fine Swiss watch?

When I get to choose a research topic, I start with what interests me personally.
Sponsored Links

Post Number #3  
Old 7th January 2009, 02:57 PM
Craig H.

Total Posts: 2,052
Re: Request for Research Topic-MBA

What metrics are currently used (what is deemed important enough to measure)? What are the main complaints from the customers (Solve a problem)?
  Post Number #4  
Old 7th January 2009, 04:35 PM
Stijloor

Total Posts: 14,703
Re: Request for Research Topic to submit for an MBA Proposal

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Determined-A1 View Post

<snip>I am in the process of putting together a research topic to submit for an MBA proposal and, since I am employed in an airline catering form, it is my desire to focus research on a TQM topic related to that industry.
How about a study on how airline food and its presentation can be improved? Many of us here at The Cove fly a lot, and we have experienced the airline caterers' handy work....

Just an idea.

Stijloor.
Thanks to Stijloor for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #5  
Old 7th January 2009, 05:30 PM
Determined-A1

Thanks for jumping in to assist, guys.

My interest surrounds efficiency; getting it right first time. There is a tendency for us to have to correct a situation and apologize for the error . That is usually with the support systems though (inventory, invoices, ratios) rarely with the presentation and the quality of the food. On the contrary we receive many compliments.
For some background, the airlines give an idea of what their preferences would be for a particular sector. A presentation of several options of meals fitting their specs is held at one of our kitchens. At this gathering, the reps scrutinize, taste, measure, weigh, etc. and arrive at a final package. Photos are taken, specs are recorded, that meal is priced, and it becomes gospel; no deviation. The kitchen works from the specs and the photos, in terms of preparing and packing on the tray.

So to respond directly, I would want to make the customers happy by ensuring that they do not have to be spending time and money rushing equipment to us because we submitted an incorrect (over) count of the stock we are holding; or someone misreading the ratio charts and boarding incorrect quantities of a particular item, putting the crew in an embarrassing situation. Problems of that nature are of concern to me.

Hope I am helping my cause.

Tracelyn
  Post Number #6  
Old 7th January 2009, 05:38 PM
Jennifer Kirley

Total Posts: 5,566

Ah - Poka Yoke is the Japanese term for the error proofing method that helps get it right the first time. Here is a thread on the subject.

When you open a thread like the one I listed, also check the related threads listed at the bottom of the page for more information. I also found a paper for you to read: A COMPARITIVE STUDY: TOTAL QUALITY MANAGEMENT AND THE JAPANESE POKA-YOKE STYLE

I hope this helps!

Last edited by Jennifer Kirley; 7th January 2009 at 05:49 PM. Reason: Added reference to the paper
  Post Number #7  
Old 7th January 2009, 06:36 PM
BradM

Total Posts: 5,733

Just some ideas....

Maybe you could take one area. Measure the current complaint rate. Implement a fix, then measure the complaint rate.

Also, Service Quality is always of interest. How do you measure Service Quality? Are there differences between the customer's perception of quality, and what your organization thinks is the customer's perception of quality?

Another area may be your method of root cause. Identify your existing method for finding root cause. Then, propose alternatives. Those could be the 5 why's, fishbone, etc. (there are many, many ideas).
  Post Number #8  
Old 7th January 2009, 09:25 PM
Determined-A1

Many thanks for getting my ideas flowing. As suggested, I will take your suggestions, do some reading and putting some thoughts together then make a post of what I have to elicit further feedback.

In the interim, should you have any additional brainwaves, please share some ripples with me.

Tracelyn

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Archived - Students and Educational Institutions > Archived - Student Research Questions - Any Educational Institution

Do you find this discussion thread helpful and informational?