The Elsmar Cove Wiki More Free Files The Elsmar Cove Forums Discussion Thread Index Post Attachments Listing Failure Modes Services and Solutions to Problems Elsmar cove Forums Main Page Elsmar Cove Home Page
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Archived - Students and Educational Institutions > Archived - Student Research Questions - Any Educational Institution
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Search the Elsmar Cove
Custom Search
Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Follow Marc & Elsmar
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed  Marc Smith's Google+ Page  Marc Smith's Linked In Page   Marc Smith's Elsmar Cove YouTube Page  Marc Smith's Facebook Page  Elsmar Cove Twitter Feed
Elsmar Cove Groups
Elsmar Cove Google+ Group  Elsmar Cove LinkedIn Group  Elsmar Cove Facebook Group
Sponsor Links

Donate and $ Contributor Forum Access

Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

Howard's
International Quality Services
Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting
Bob Doering's
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook
IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors
SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers
Quality Digest Portal
IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology
ASQ - American Society for Quality

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
Old 14th January 2009, 08:45 AM
Inactive Registered Visitor

Registration Date: Jan 2009

Thanks Given to Others: 2
Karma Power: 25
fed-up has less than 100 Karma points so far.
Please Help! Project Ideas - Final year project in Mathematics and Statistics

Hi Guys,

I am looking for some ideas to my final year project in Mathematics and Statistics Field. I was hoping you could suggest some ideas as to what I can do my project on. I dont want to do it on pure maths but something related to maths and stats. Its hard to explain. But I'll try.

when I was researching on project ideas I came across an article called Emotions and food. It described how people's reaction can make you interested/put-off a particular food. But this is more related to psychology.

So I wanted a similar thing but related to maths or stats or maybe even aero-dynamics. But couldn't find much on the net.

If anyone has any ideas. Please feel free to share them.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 14th January 2009, 08:54 AM
Forum Moderator

Registration Date: Jan 2004

Thanks Given to Others: 3,335
Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,776 Posts
Karma Power: 646
Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Re: Project Ideas

Thank you for identifying this as a class project.

When thinking up a project, I usually start by asking myself how the learning would apply to my work. After all, we are learning this to become marketable, yes?

So I would consider my area of interest career wise, then ask myself how the math might have a use in that. Problem solving ability of hamsters in groups versus separate, or some such.

I'd then do a Google search using the type of math and the subject I'm interested in, to see what already exists on the topic. That way I could do the research and design an approach that would be defensible from a "why is this useful?" standpoint, as well as the design of the math to be used.

Does this help?

"If you only have a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail." Abraham Maslow
Sponsored Links

Old 14th January 2009, 10:15 AM
Appreciated Information Resource

Registration Date: Nov 2007

Thanks Given to Others: 148
Karma Power: 98
SteveK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
SteveK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.SteveK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.SteveK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.SteveK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.SteveK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.SteveK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Lurker Re: Project Ideas

I used to work in the FMCG area, ‘a long time ago’, and we analysed mouth-feel, taste, texture, satisfaction etc with blind trials (in-house testing) etc wrt e.g. toothpaste rather than food as such - but I believe the same idea as your post (i.e. stats/maths, not specifically psychological). I think the type of (stats) analysis we conducted was Factor Analysis/Principle Components based, so you could see what factors went together, were most important, opposed etc. In a similar vein (though with ‘real’ values rather than test subject scores), I have studied which factors contribute most to a moulded plastic component e.g. mould temperature, injection speed, dwell time etc. In this case I used DoE/Taguchi to analyse the effects of the factors and interactions – the measure being e.g. shrinkage, impact strength etc., but the food analogy could still apply if required (replace by e.g. baking bread and all the factors involved there?). Don’t know if this triggers anything?
Old 15th January 2009, 02:04 AM
Inactive Registered Visitor

Registration Date: Jun 2007

Thanks Given to Others: 0
Karma Power: 30
nurshafie has less than 100 Karma points so far.
Send a message via Yahoo to nurshafie Send a message via Skype™ to nurshafie
Re: Project Ideas

It is a lot of topic that you may bring up. Such as application of sixsigma to increase student performance, controll chart in faculty admin or you may can choose pareto application in the class.

what is actually your intrest? bring it up!

thanks,
shafie

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Archived - Students and Educational Institutions > Archived - Student Research Questions - Any Educational Institution

Do you find this discussion thread helpful and informational?