The Elsmar Cove Wiki More Free Files The Elsmar Cove Forums Discussion Thread Index Post Attachments Listing Failure Modes Services and Solutions to Problems Elsmar cove Forums Main Page Elsmar Cove Home Page
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Medical Devices, Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics > Medical Device Related Standards > ISO 13485 and ISO 14969 - Medical Devices - Quality Management Systems
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Search the Elsmar Cove
Custom Search
Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Follow Marc & Elsmar
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed  Marc Smith's Google+ Page  Marc Smith's Linked In Page   Marc Smith's Elsmar Cove YouTube Page  Marc Smith's Facebook Page  Elsmar Cove Twitter Feed
Elsmar Cove Groups
Elsmar Cove Google+ Group  Elsmar Cove LinkedIn Group  Elsmar Cove Facebook Group
Sponsor Links

Donate and $ Contributor Forum Access
Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

Howard's
International Quality Services
Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting
Bob Doering's
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook
IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors
SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers
Quality Digest Portal
IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology
ASQ - American Society for Quality

Related Topic Tags
fda (food and drug administration), installation qualification (iq), language issues, operational qualification (oq), performance qualification (pq), ppap (production part approval process), medical devices (general)

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes
Old 23rd January 2009, 01:04 PM
Involved - Posts

Registration Date: Jan 2004

Thanks Given to Others: 13
Karma Power: 53
wslabey is appreciated, and has over 100 Karma points.wslabey is appreciated, and has over 100 Karma points.
Please Help! IQ, OQ, PQ (installation, operational & performance qualification) compared to PPAP

How does IQ, OQ, PQ compare to PPAP? Our company is moving into life sciences and producing FDA exempt products that will be used in laboratories. Our suppliers speak in the language of IQ, OQ, PQ and PPAP is foreign to them.

Are they comparable? If so, has anybody done a comparison. I would deeply appreciate a posting that answers my questions. Thanks in advance for your help.

Bill

Sponsored Links
Old 23rd January 2009, 05:39 PM
Your Elsmar Cove Host

Registration Date: Jan 1996

Thanks Given to Others: 8,817
Thanked 5,012 Times in 3,181 Posts
Karma Power: 400
Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Re: IQ, OQ, PQ compared to PPAP

I haven't seen a comparison that I remember. The weekend is starting so if no one replies bump this thread next Monday morning and you'll probbly get a reply.

A Search is a terrible thing to waste!
One Test is Worth 1000 Expert Opinions - The plural of anecdote is not data - Correlation does not imply Causation
We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them. - Unknown
Sponsored Links

Old 23rd January 2009, 08:25 PM
Involved in Discussions

Registration Date: Sep 2007

Thanks Given to Others: 46
Karma Power: 48
achorste is appreciated, and has over 700 Karma points.achorste is appreciated, and has over 700 Karma points.achorste is appreciated, and has over 700 Karma points.achorste is appreciated, and has over 700 Karma points.achorste is appreciated, and has over 700 Karma points.achorste is appreciated, and has over 700 Karma points.achorste is appreciated, and has over 700 Karma points.
Re: IQ, OQ, PQ compared to PPAP

PPAP & IQ OQ PQ are quite different, I'm not sure if a direct comparison can me made. IQ OQ PQ validates a process, typically this is individual processes, although it is sometimes used as a basis to validate full manufacturing routes.

IQ OQ PQ doesn't call for process capability or gauge studies specifically but there's no particular reason why they can't be included. (Gauge studies may be required in IQ for new gauging methods)

IQ OQ PQ, as your may have inferred from the name comes in three stages:

IQ - installation qualification
OQ - operational qualification and
PQ - performance qualification

IQ - verify the equipment is installed correctly, training, utilities, could include DoE for new unfamiliar processes, SOPs, risk analysis, preliminary control plans etc etc

OQ - testing "worst case parameters" - basically define the worst case settings for the particular process and ensure it still gives acceptable results - i.e. for an ultrasonic cleaner it could be lowest temperature, lowest frequency and lowest solvent concentration.

PQ - this ensures the process is repeatable - to do this you would have to define a statistically relevant number of production runs of typical batch / lot sizes. Although often I used the "three batch rule" - running 3 batches of the largest & smallest parts in a product range. The 3 batch rule isn't recognised offically anywhere as far as I know. This is all done under normal manufacturing conditions - i.e. no special inspection - everything as it would be in full production.

I posted the GHTF (Global Harmonisation Taskforce validation guidance the other day here: http://elsmar.com/Forums/showpost.ph...94&postcount=2 This gives the recommended guidelines for process validation.
Thank You to achorste for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Old 15th March 2010, 01:35 PM
Involved - Posts

Registration Date: Jan 2004

Thanks Given to Others: 13
Karma Power: 53
wslabey is appreciated, and has over 100 Karma points.wslabey is appreciated, and has over 100 Karma points.
Re: IQ, OQ, PQ (installation, operational & performance qualification) compared to PP

Talk about a time delay. I appreciate the response. I am from an automotive background and work for an automotive supplier of engineering services, prototyping, and low volume production. Like many suppliers we are diversifying and have acquired a small startup company in Life Sciences. That division is moving along ISO 13485 registration with a scope that is limited to marketing and design. Its designs are made by contract manufacturers. I have learned a bit about IQ, OQ, PQ but I feel the quality deliverables I have seen from contract manufacturers are not concise or complete at each phase of the IQ, OQ, PQ. I would like to bring the discipline of PPAP with its deliverables (i.e., an all in one package) to our production approval process including engineering approval and validation of production run parts.

Any thoughts or comments would be most appreciated.

Bill
Old 16th March 2010, 05:49 AM
Glad to help, if I can

Registration Date: Mar 2010

Thanks Given to Others: 1,611
Thanked 1,024 Times in 718 Posts
Karma Power: 213
Ronen E is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Ronen E is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Ronen E is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Ronen E is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Ronen E is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Ronen E is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Ronen E is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Ronen E is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Ronen E is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Ronen E is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Ronen E is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Ronen E is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Ronen E is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Ronen E is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Ronen E is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Ronen E is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Ronen E is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Re: IQ, OQ, PQ (installation, operational & performance qualification) compared to PP

Hi Bill,

I come from the medical devices industry.

I know you're talking about ISO 13485, but I just realized that in FDA (QSR) terms, your lifescience company may qualify as a specification developer. As such, I'm not sure that they are even required to have process validation; it may be the contract manufacturer's responsibility. While this maybe true for medical devices, I am less sure wrt pharmceticals (which also fall under "lifescience").

In MDD terms (which are more closely related to ISO 13485) they might suffice with an annex VI (product final inspection) conformity, leaving the whole actual production as a "black box".

Cheers,
Ronen.

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by wslabey View Post

Talk about a time delay. I appreciate the response. I am from an automotive background and work for an automotive supplier of engineering services, prototyping, and low volume production. Like many suppliers we are diversifying and have acquired a small startup company in Life Sciences. That division is moving along ISO 13485 registration with a scope that is limited to marketing and design. Its designs are made by contract manufacturers. I have learned a bit about IQ, OQ, PQ but I feel the quality deliverables I have seen from contract manufacturers are not concise or complete at each phase of the IQ, OQ, PQ. I would like to bring the discipline of PPAP with its deliverables (i.e., an all in one package) to our production approval process including engineering approval and validation of production run parts.

Any thoughts or comments would be most appreciated.

Bill
Old 4th September 2010, 08:48 AM
Getting Involved (6 to 9 Posts)

Registration Date: Jul 2009

Thanks Given to Others: 0
Karma Power: 25
alex.Kennedy is appreciated, and has over 100 Karma points.alex.Kennedy is appreciated, and has over 100 Karma points.

I am taking PPAP as meaning - Production Part Approval Process. As such it applies to a production part. Where as pharmaceutical / biotechnical / medical device cGMP

http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/script...t=820&showFR=1

regulations apply not only to the product, but also all the manufacturing / testing / packaging / utilities / facilities / environmental / recording equipment, along with all associated processes that are used to produce test and store, the product.

There is no doubt you will have much of the required information to hand, but is it in an acceptable format? Many industries accept the likes of tick boxes (to indicate compliance), this practice is proscribed by our regulators. All tests must start with a rationale (justifying the test). Then contain a detailed test method. Then continue with a detailed acceptance criteria. Then complete with your test results and a statement that the acceptance criteria was or was not satisfied.

There is a strict regime of documentation that must be sequential in execution.

Alex Kennedy
Old 4th September 2010, 09:08 AM
Your Elsmar Cove Host

Registration Date: Jan 1996

Thanks Given to Others: 8,817
Thanked 5,012 Times in 3,181 Posts
Karma Power: 400
Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by alex.Kennedy View Post

<snip> If you go to: <snip>
Alex, do you have an association with/interest in the web site you posted a link to?

A Search is a terrible thing to waste!
One Test is Worth 1000 Expert Opinions - The plural of anecdote is not data - Correlation does not imply Causation
We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them. - Unknown
Old 4th September 2010, 09:54 AM
Getting Involved (6 to 9 Posts)

Registration Date: Jul 2009

Thanks Given to Others: 0
Karma Power: 25
alex.Kennedy is appreciated, and has over 100 Karma points.alex.Kennedy is appreciated, and has over 100 Karma points.

Yes and No.

However the answer to the query would have been long winded, where as the process is described in detail on the web page I referenced. This is in the free document guidance section, and there is no sales made from these pages. The other reference was to the actual FDA regulation.

When someone was stuck not long ago you asked me to post a reference to the required information. Which I did and which appeared to be acceptable to your forum.

Regards
Alex Kennedy

Last edited by Stijloor; 4th September 2010 at 02:25 PM.

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Medical Devices, Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics > Medical Device Related Standards > ISO 13485 and ISO 14969 - Medical Devices - Quality Management Systems

Do you find this discussion thread helpful and informational?