The Elsmar Cove Wiki More Free Files The Elsmar Cove Forums Discussion Thread Index Post Attachments Listing Failure Modes Services and Solutions to Problems Elsmar cove Forums Main Page Elsmar Cove Home Page
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Common Quality Assurance Processes and Tools > Six Sigma
Forum Username

Search the Elsmar Cove
Custom Search
Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Follow Marc & Elsmar
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed  Marc Smith's Google+ Page  Marc Smith's Linked In Page   Marc Smith's Elsmar Cove YouTube Page  Marc Smith's Facebook Page  Elsmar Cove Twitter Feed
Elsmar Cove Groups
Elsmar Cove Google+ Group  Elsmar Cove LinkedIn Group  Elsmar Cove Facebook Group
Sponsor Links

Donate and $ Contributor Forum Access

Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

Howard's
International Quality Services
Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting
Bob Doering's
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook
IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors
SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers
Quality Digest Portal
IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology
ASQ - American Society for Quality
View Poll Results: What is the product you WILL buy, to help you in improvement project you manage
User-Friendly Training Material (PPT) 0 0%
Standard Excel Template 2 11.76%
Reference Material (E-Books) 4 23.53%
Step by step guide 5 29.41%
Real Case Studies 6 35.29%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Related Topic Tags
improvement, improvement plans and projects

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
Old 6th February 2009, 07:07 PM
CMQ/OE

Registration Date: Aug 2007

Thanks Given to Others: 11
Karma Power: 30
yassser33 has less than 100 Karma points so far.
Please Help! The 3 Biggest Obstacles You Faced when you start to apply improvement projects

Dear colleagues :
I have moved to a publishing company , which assign me to make a market research about what Quality experts needs ; and when i think how i could reach large number of experts from different countries , i thought the best place is right here .

So i need to know what is the The biggest 3 obstacles you face when you start to apply an improvement projects ( Six Sigma , lean , kanaban , 5s , even problem solving tools , what evere ...etc )
If you want to help please make your answer like this :

1- personally i found the number 1 challenge is to choose the right tools for improvement , is it Six Sigma or lean or MBNQA or etc... the normal case i face is ""hey , we want to have a system that reduce cost and reduce error rate and make us bit our competitor ""

2- Allocating resources is No 2 , i always face the problem that people are very busy and can't save time for improvement projects.

3- I need a Step by Step guide for application of a similar projects , not just a theory about tools.

that was my 3 obstacles , what about yours

Last edited by yassser33; 7th February 2009 at 04:01 AM.

Sponsored Links
Old 6th February 2009, 07:45 PM
Cross Forum Moderator

Registration Date: Jan 2005

Thanks Given to Others: 2,051
Thanked 5,993 Times in 3,820 Posts
Karma Power: 1531
Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Re: The Biggest 3 Obstacles You Face

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by yassser33 View Post

Dear colleagues :
I have moved to a publishing company , which assign me to make a market research about what Quality experts needs ; and when i think how i could reach large number of experts from different countries , i thought the best place is right here .

So i need to know what is the The biggest 3 obstacles you face when you start to apply an improvement projects ( Six Sigma , lean , kanaban , 5s , even problem solving tools , what evere ...etc )
If you want to please make your answer like this :

1- personally i found the number 1 challenge is to choose the right tools for improvement , is it Six Sigma or lean or MBNQA or etc... the normal case i face is ""hey , we want to have a system that reduce cost and reduce error rate and make us bit our competitor ""

2- Allocating resources is No 2 , i always face the problem that people are very busy and can't save time for improvement projects.

3- I need a Step by Step guide for application of a similar projects , not just a theory about tools.

My top three:
  1. Top management
  2. Top management
  3. Top management

It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it. --Upton Sinclair
Thank You to Jim Wynne for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Sponsored Links

Old 6th February 2009, 08:08 PM
Super Moderator

Registration Date: May 2003

Thanks Given to Others: 3,192
Thanked 4,527 Times in 3,207 Posts
Karma Power: 1548
Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.

Quote:

Dear colleagues :

If you want to please make your answer like this :

Here's what I see....
  1. Incompetence
  2. Short-term vision No vision-mission-values
  3. Greed
Stijloor.
Thanks to Stijloor for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Old 6th February 2009, 09:00 PM
Stop X-bar/R Madness

Registration Date: May 2002

Thanks Given to Others: 1,308
Thanked 1,455 Times in 1,097 Posts
Karma Power: 462
bobdoering is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.bobdoering is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.bobdoering is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
bobdoering is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.bobdoering is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.bobdoering is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Send a message via Yahoo to bobdoering

The three biggest obstacles I run into trying to apply an improvement project:

1. Physics
2. Probability
3. Cost

Outside of them, things go pretty smoothly....
Thank You to bobdoering for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Old 6th February 2009, 09:44 PM
Involved in Discussions

Registration Date: Sep 2007

Thanks Given to Others: 46
Karma Power: 50
achorste is appreciated, and has over 700 Karma points.achorste is appreciated, and has over 700 Karma points.achorste is appreciated, and has over 700 Karma points.achorste is appreciated, and has over 700 Karma points.achorste is appreciated, and has over 700 Karma points.achorste is appreciated, and has over 700 Karma points.achorste is appreciated, and has over 700 Karma points.

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Jim Wynne View Post

My top three:
  1. Top management
  2. Top management
  3. Top management
Have to agree there - with management support nearly everything else falls into place, you can get the people, the resources, the training etc etc etc.

But if pushed for three discrete items I would say:

1) Top management
2) Entrentched workforce ("this is the way we've always done it"!)
3) Cost
Thank You to achorste for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Old 7th February 2009, 12:19 AM
Forum Moderator

Registration Date: Jan 2004

Thanks Given to Others: 3,357
Thanked 3,119 Times in 1,783 Posts
Karma Power: 649
Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.

1) Resource constraints - mostly share of mind and time with the people who are addressing the items I raise in audits. It took over two years to feel sure I'm not just being tolerated.

2) Short term thinking. Management doesn't appear to understand that Lean isn't supposed to mean slashing the work force and then figuring out what to do with all the responsibilities.

3) Using Office to set up a cluttered, overwhelming documentation system that doesn't look very well connected. Office isn't made to do what we're asking of it, and better systems cost money - see #1.

"If you only have a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail." Abraham Maslow
Thanks to Jennifer Kirley for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Old 7th February 2009, 04:32 AM
CMQ/OE

Registration Date: Aug 2007

Thanks Given to Others: 11
Karma Power: 30
yassser33 has less than 100 Karma points so far.
Please Help! Re: The Biggest 3 Obstacles You Face

Dear colleagues :
I really would like to thank you for your care to help me
Jim Wynne : it seems you suffer a lot from top management
Stijloor : Greed ?? could you explain
bobdoering : what you mean by physics , you mean calculation and equation etc...
achorste: you agree with Jim ,your top management look great too
Jennifer Kirley : your answer is very clear thanks.

Now i wanna summarize what we get up tell now :
1- 4 out of five about top management
( lack of support or vision and values )

2-Cost 3 times out of 5

3- Staff : 2 out of 5 about staff competence and resistance to change

4- Another issues like :

Physics
Probability
Greed

Now my next question is , what are the most 3 thing you are looking for ( online , books , magazine , articles , software ...etc ) to solve this obstacles , and you didn't find up till now.

For me :
1- Complete Case study
2- Ready template to save time
3- Free or cheap software to help me in calculations .

what about you ..!!!
Old 7th February 2009, 06:32 AM
Stop X-bar/R Madness

Registration Date: May 2002

Thanks Given to Others: 1,308
Thanked 1,455 Times in 1,097 Posts
Karma Power: 462
Send a message via Yahoo to bobdoering

Quote:

bobdoering : what you mean by physics , you mean calculation and equation etc...
You want to eliminate a root cause or make something happen faster as an improvement - but it cannot be done because if you do something will break, vibrate, heat up, cool off, be harder to position, is too small to see, can not be detected with enough resolution...etc.

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Common Quality Assurance Processes and Tools > Six Sigma

Do you find this discussion thread helpful and informational?