The Elsmar Cove Wiki More Free Files The Elsmar Cove Forums Discussion Thread Index Post Attachments Listing Failure Modes Services and Solutions to Problems Elsmar cove Forums Main Page Elsmar Cove Home Page
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Medical Devices, Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics > Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics
Forum Username

Search the Elsmar Cove
Custom Search
Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Follow Marc & Elsmar
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed  Marc Smith's Google+ Page  Marc Smith's Linked In Page   Marc Smith's Elsmar Cove YouTube Page  Marc Smith's Facebook Page  Elsmar Cove Twitter Feed
Elsmar Cove Groups
Elsmar Cove Google+ Group  Elsmar Cove LinkedIn Group  Elsmar Cove Facebook Group
Sponsor Links

Donate and $ Contributor Forum Access

Click the graphic above.
Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

Howard's
International Quality Services
Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting
Bob Doering's
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook
IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors
SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers
Quality Digest Portal
IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology
ASQ - American Society for Quality

Related Topic Tags
bioburden, cleanrooms

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
Old 12th March 2009, 03:07 PM
Shy Poster (1 to 5 Posts)

Registration Date: Jul 2006

Thanks Given to Others: 0
Karma Power: 33
carlosandrosie has less than 100 Karma points so far.
Please Help! Establishing alert and action limits for clean room bioburden

Hello everybody.

Even though I've been a member of the forum for a while this is actually my first post...

I'm looking for some insight on how to determine alert and action limits for bioburden in our Class 8 clean room.

2 years ago we started operations and since we have been monitoring bioburden levels (among other things) on a monthly basis. Now we fill it is time to establish alert and action limits.

However, by reviewing lots of standards and doing extensive research I have been unable to find any guideline on how to establish those. I found the 50/100 cfu guideline from FDA but that specifically applies to Drug products (we are a devices manufacturer).

Also found references in USP 797 but again, that applies to drug compounding environment.

Based on my findings it seems that there is no regulatory requirement for device manufacturers other than establishing your own limits, but I want to believe there is more than just setting them somehow arbitrarily based on historic data.

Any help/advise will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance to everyone who stops by.

Sponsored Links
Old 12th March 2009, 09:06 PM
Forum Administrator

Registration Date: Dec 2005

Thanks Given to Others: 1,750
Thanked 2,662 Times in 1,672 Posts
Karma Power: 400
Ajit Basrur is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Ajit Basrur is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Ajit Basrur is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Ajit Basrur is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Ajit Basrur is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Ajit Basrur is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Ajit Basrur is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Ajit Basrur is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Ajit Basrur is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Ajit Basrur is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Re: Establishing alert and action limits for clean room bioburden

Hi carlosandrosie,

Hope to see more from you

Regarding testablishing the alert and action limits, USP 1116 would be an appropriate section. USP 1116 states "the principles and concepts of statistical process control are useful in establishing Alert and Action levels and in reacting to trends". Thiese limits also depend on the risk to your product.

In one of my previous organizations, we had set an alert of 50 cfu and action of 70 cfu against a final rejection of the product over 100 cfu.

You can’t use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have – Maya Angelou
Sponsored Links

Old 13th March 2009, 06:24 AM
Recidivist Cover

Registration Date: Oct 2007

Thanks Given to Others: 105
Karma Power: 45
Jimmy the Brit is appreciated, and has over 1300 Karma points.Jimmy the Brit is appreciated, and has over 1300 Karma points.Jimmy the Brit is appreciated, and has over 1300 Karma points.Jimmy the Brit is appreciated, and has over 1300 Karma points.Jimmy the Brit is appreciated, and has over 1300 Karma points.Jimmy the Brit is appreciated, and has over 1300 Karma points.Jimmy the Brit is appreciated, and has over 1300 Karma points.Jimmy the Brit is appreciated, and has over 1300 Karma points.Jimmy the Brit is appreciated, and has over 1300 Karma points.Jimmy the Brit is appreciated, and has over 1300 Karma points.
I Say... Re: Establishing alert and action limits for clean room bioburden

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by carlosandrosie View Post

Based on my findings it seems that there is no regulatory requirement for device manufacturers other than establishing your own limits, but I want to believe there is more than just setting them somehow arbitrarily based on historic data.
Hi Carlos,

The guidance you are looking for can be found in ISO14698 Pts 1 & 2, "Cleanrooms and associated controlled environments - Biocontamination control". Part 1 is the guide to how to set up a system, including methods of detection, how to set effective limits and system verification. Part 2 is about the evaluation and interpretation of the data you generate. Both parts offer excellent guidance on managing levels of cleanroom bioburden.

The only true arbiter of the performance limits is you. What performance level do you need to protect your products adequately? What did you manage to acheive in the manned state during PQ or PV? Are you able to consistenly reach those levels or has the perfromance of the room wandered from the validated state?

If you are want guidance on "normal" room performance limits then Annex 1 of the EudraLex "rules governing medicinal products in the EU", Volume 4 EU guidance to GMP is the only standard I know of that spells out specific performance limits - I attach that table as a picture, but the document is freely available from the link above. The stated room grades align with the US room classifications as follows Grade A = class 100 (aseptic), Grade B = class 100 (non-aseptic), Grade C = class 10,000 and Grade D = class 100,000. Although this is a pharma standard, there is no reason that any cleanroom operating to these classifications should not be able to meet these performance limits - I believe the Grade C & D limits are very generous.

Hope this helps,

Jimmy
Attached Thumbnails
EudraLEx V4 Annex 1 micro contam table.jpg  

We rarely think people have good sense unless they agree with us. Francois de La Rochefoucauld (1613–1680)
Thanks to Jimmy the Brit for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Old 13th March 2009, 09:17 AM
Appreciated Member

Registration Date: Sep 2005

Thanks Given to Others: 45
Karma Power: 99
Roland Cooke is appreciated, and has over 1300 Karma points.Roland Cooke is appreciated, and has over 1300 Karma points.Roland Cooke is appreciated, and has over 1300 Karma points.Roland Cooke is appreciated, and has over 1300 Karma points.Roland Cooke is appreciated, and has over 1300 Karma points.Roland Cooke is appreciated, and has over 1300 Karma points.Roland Cooke is appreciated, and has over 1300 Karma points.Roland Cooke is appreciated, and has over 1300 Karma points.Roland Cooke is appreciated, and has over 1300 Karma points.Roland Cooke is appreciated, and has over 1300 Karma points.

Jimmy, any idea why these standards aren't harmonized (under the MDD etc)?

The 14644 series isn't harmonized either.

I work for SGS Notified Body 0120. I generally post in a private capacity.
Old 13th March 2009, 09:37 AM
Appreciated Information Resource

Registration Date: Aug 2008

Thanks Given to Others: 1,160
Thanked 2,491 Times in 1,528 Posts
Karma Power: 413
MIREGMGR is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.MIREGMGR is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.MIREGMGR is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.MIREGMGR is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.MIREGMGR is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
MIREGMGR is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.MIREGMGR is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.MIREGMGR is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.MIREGMGR is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.MIREGMGR is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Roland Cooke View Post

The 14644 series isn't harmonized either.
14644 parts 1-6 + 8 are FDA Recognized Consensus Standards, which I think implies that whatever problem exists in reaching harmonization, it probably isn't on this side of the pond.
Old 13th March 2009, 10:29 AM
Recidivist Cover

Jimmy the Brit is appreciated, and has over 1300 Karma points.Jimmy the Brit is appreciated, and has over 1300 Karma points.Jimmy the Brit is appreciated, and has over 1300 Karma points.Jimmy the Brit is appreciated, and has over 1300 Karma points.Jimmy the Brit is appreciated, and has over 1300 Karma points.Jimmy the Brit is appreciated, and has over 1300 Karma points.Jimmy the Brit is appreciated, and has over 1300 Karma points.Jimmy the Brit is appreciated, and has over 1300 Karma points.Jimmy the Brit is appreciated, and has over 1300 Karma points.Jimmy the Brit is appreciated, and has over 1300 Karma points.

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by MIREGMGR View Post

14644 parts 1-6 + 8 are FDA Recognized Consensus Standards, which I think implies that whatever problem exists in reaching harmonization, it probably isn't on this side of the pond.
ISO14698 1&2 are also FDA recognised. I have no idea why they are not globally harmonized, and wouldn't want to speculate about my European colleagues ability to agree on anything, including what to eat for lunch...

We rarely think people have good sense unless they agree with us. Francois de La Rochefoucauld (1613–1680)
Old 13th March 2009, 10:57 AM
Appreciated Member

Registration Date: Sep 2005

Thanks Given to Others: 45
Karma Power: 99
Roland Cooke is appreciated, and has over 1300 Karma points.Roland Cooke is appreciated, and has over 1300 Karma points.Roland Cooke is appreciated, and has over 1300 Karma points.Roland Cooke is appreciated, and has over 1300 Karma points.Roland Cooke is appreciated, and has over 1300 Karma points.Roland Cooke is appreciated, and has over 1300 Karma points.Roland Cooke is appreciated, and has over 1300 Karma points.Roland Cooke is appreciated, and has over 1300 Karma points.Roland Cooke is appreciated, and has over 1300 Karma points.Roland Cooke is appreciated, and has over 1300 Karma points.

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Jimmy the Brit View Post

ISO14698 1&2 are also FDA recognised. I have no idea why they are not globally harmonized, and wouldn't want to speculate about my European colleagues ability to agree on anything, including what to eat for lunch...

Hey, it only took us 27 years to agree on a definition of chocolate!

I work for SGS Notified Body 0120. I generally post in a private capacity.

Last edited by Roland Cooke; 13th March 2009 at 11:16 AM.
Old 13th March 2009, 11:10 AM
Recidivist Cover

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Roland Cooke View Post

Hey, it only took us 27 years to agree on a definition of chocolate!
The next thing you know they will be letting us buy curved cucumbers in pounds and ounces!

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Medical Devices, Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics > Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics

Do you find this discussion thread helpful and informational?