Elsmar Cove Forum Header Graphic The Elsmar Cove Wiki Sitemap More Free Files The Elsmar Cove Forums Discussion Thread Index Post Attachments Listing Failure Modes Services and Solutions to Problems Elsmar Cove Forums Main Page Elsmar Cove Home Page
NQA-USA
NQA-USA
Miner's MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) Blog 
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Common Quality Assurance Processes and Tools > Six Sigma
Forum Username

Wooden Line

I am considering an online Black Belt Certification

Search the Elsmar Cove
Search Elsmar
Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Follow Marc & Elsmar
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed  Marc Smith's Google+ Page  Marc Smith's Linked In Page   Marc Smith's Elsmar Cove YouTube Page  Marc Smith's Facebook Page  Elsmar Cove Twitter Feed
Elsmar Cove Groups
Elsmar Cove Google+ Group  Elsmar Cove LinkedIn Group  Elsmar Cove Facebook Group
Donate and $ Contributor Forum Access
Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

Howard's
International Quality Services
Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting
Bob Doering's
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook
IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors
SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers
Quality Digest Portal
IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology
ASQ - American Society for Quality

Related Topic Tags
online internet training courses and universities, six sigma black belt, training (general), six sigma (general)

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
  Post Number #1  
Old 1st April 2009, 02:40 PM
s14realm3

Total Posts: 8
Question I am considering an online Black Belt Certification

I saw this online six sigma certification courses:

(I can't post web link as I don't have 5 posts yet)

www dot sixsigmaonline dot org/q2_a dot html

I am considering a online black belt certification. Have anyone heard of this place or have a better course for the $$ online? I am paying for this outta my own pocket so price vs value is very important.

thanks

Tim

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #2  
Old 1st April 2009, 03:37 PM
Wes Bucey

Total Posts: 10,982
Re: ANyone heard of sixsigmaonline.org?

OK, Tim Let's look at this logically. A quote from the website says
Quote:
Six Sigma Online courses are an independent, textbook-based structure. Generally speaking, you read the required sections and are tested for proficiency. There are some additional training resources available in our course, however these materials are not required reading for the exams or your certification. They are simply meant to promote a more thorough learning experience.
(Highlight in red is my emphasis.)

Essentially, this means you buy the books and read them on your own and take a test. I didn't bother reading further to determine if someone proctors the test in a controlled situation or whether you also take the test via internet. If it's the latter, for a few bucks more, you could hire someone to take the test for you and you wouldn't have to even bother reading the books if all you want is the piece of paper.

Alternately, if you really want to learn something about Six Sigma which you might use in a real life situation,there are probably lots less expensive ways to get the book learning AND also come out of the experience actually able to apply Six S tools in a real life situation.

One thing you might do is compare ASQ prices for certifications at
http://www.asq.org/certification/
Where the fee for taking the six igma black belt exam is
Six Sigma Black Belt - CSSBB
$420
(non-member)
$260
(member)

Exploring further (click on the link), you learn some more about the certificaton plus the fact you need to complete a project as a prerequisite to take the exam. Study,though, can be self-directed (reference material list and the Body of Knowledge on which the test will be conducted is provided.)

Many local ASQ Sections also offer courses or study groups where you can join with others to develop your skill and knowledge of six sigma tools and get help and support for a project.

Although I think the ASQ Body of Knowledge (BOK) is "pretty good," there are many whom I respect who feel it has some shortcomings (more shortcoings than I think it has!). At the very least, you should be familiar with most of the stuff in the BOK, even though it uses "continuous improvement" versus "continual improvement" in describing the goal ("continuous" is as impossible as "perpetual motion") of the six sigma program.

Compare the ASQ BOK with other courses and make a decision based on your own personal goal and pocketbook which course might give you more value for your money.
Sponsored Links

Post Number #3  
Old 31st March 2011, 07:31 AM
J0anne

Total Posts: 292
Re: Anyone heard of sixsigmaonline.org?

I was looking at their program overview http://www.sixsigmaonline.org/media/demo_high_res.htm
and I notice that you only get a Six Sigma Certificate, Letter of Acknowledgment and a Certificate of Project Completion for the Black Belt students. (Page 12/14)

While I'm about it, here's a link to the type of content to be included in the ASQ Black Belt exam. (NOTE: Requires free registration)
  Post Number #4  
Old 31st March 2011, 10:12 AM
adickerson

Total Posts: 134
Re: I am considering an online Black Belt Certification

It looks like this program charges you $1000 to read a text book and take a test. I think ASQ offers a much better value for that style of learning. Furthermore if you ask anyone on this board who ASQ is you should get a quick answer. If you ask what Aveta Business Institute is you will have a bunch of people turning to Google. Aveta does not have the same recognition as ASQ and the programs don't look much better. I looked around their webpage and it didn't give much info about who was overseeing the program and what their qualifications are. I would give up recognition for quality or solid in person training but Aveta does not seem to have either.

If you want to get the education that program provides then just buy the text book and forget the certification.

At least with ASQ you have a large network of local sections and online learning courses.
  Post Number #5  
Old 31st March 2011, 10:12 AM
hogheavenfarm

Total Posts: 372
Re: Anyone heard of sixsigmaonline.org?

I think the primary benefit with using ASQ is that the certificate is recognized worldwide, as opposed to a SSBB 'school' certificate that could originate from any source. I have heard of GB and BB programs being run inside companies within a week or two. While these may target the specific aspects of Six Sigma that relate directly to the specific company, they may ignore the broader application of Six Sigma.
  Post Number #6  
Old 31st March 2011, 11:12 AM
Jennifer Kirley

Total Posts: 5,566

I agree, and have opted for the ASQ cert because I can't be sure who else's (besides GE of course) would be appreciated by hiring managers.

Check out the links to related threads at the bottom of this page, to view past discussions about this subject. Some are quite recent.
  Post Number #7  
Old 31st March 2011, 01:18 PM
Wes Bucey

Total Posts: 10,982

I have some software and high quality paper and printer, so I can give anyone a proficiency exam in most quality-related disciplines to determine if he/she meets the minimum standards for a certificate attesting to that proficiency and then issue a certificate suitable for framing. Heck! for an additional $100, I'll put a gold seal on it, then I'll have it mounted in a frame and shipped to you via Fedex. I'd really sign it, too, with a fountain pen, not just a Bic ballpoint!

Prices vary, according to the certificate!

Added in edit:
I just heard an ad on the radio which gave me an idea (something about paying $50 to have a star named after you) - every 5 years, I will publish a list of all the certificate holders, copyright that document and file a copy with the Library of Congress. Copies will be available for sale on Amazon.
  Post Number #8  
Old 31st March 2011, 01:24 PM
hogheavenfarm

Total Posts: 372

and if you call within the next 10 minutes, we'll DOUBLE the offer!

just pay shipping and handling....

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Common Quality Assurance Processes and Tools > Six Sigma

Do you find this discussion thread helpful and informational?