Elsmar Cove Forum Header Graphic The Elsmar Cove Wiki More Free Files The Elsmar Cove Forums Discussion Thread Index Post Attachments Listing Failure Modes Services and Solutions to Problems Elsmar cove Forums Main Page Elsmar Cove Home Page
Miner's MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) Blog 
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Manufacturing, Service, and Business Systems Processes > Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards
Forum Username

Wooden Line

Confidence & Reliability - Reference to a 90/95 Confidence & Reliability Level

Wooden Line
Search the Elsmar Cove
Search Elsmar
Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Follow Marc & Elsmar
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed  Marc Smith's Google+ Page  Marc Smith's Linked In Page   Marc Smith's Elsmar Cove YouTube Page  Marc Smith's Facebook Page  Elsmar Cove Twitter Feed
Elsmar Cove Groups
Elsmar Cove Google+ Group  Elsmar Cove LinkedIn Group  Elsmar Cove Facebook Group
Donate and $ Contributor Forum Access
Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

Howard's
International Quality Services
Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting
Bob Doering's
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook
IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors
SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers
Quality Digest Portal
IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology
ASQ - American Society for Quality

Related Topic Tags
confidence level (statistics), cr level, mdd (medical device directive), mdd 90/95/eec, reliability analysis and testing, statistical analysis and studies

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 28th April 2009, 05:58 PM
johnnyB

Please Help! Confidence & Reliability - Reference to a 90/95 Confidence & Reliability Level

I'm reviewing a sample size justification and am confused. The author of the plan makes reference to a 90/95 confidence and reliability level to determine sample size for attribute type data based on a binomial probability distribution. I always thought that only applied to variables data. I'm typically used to seeing LTPD or AQL levels to characterize attribute data. Is there is a correlation to the 90/95 C and R?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 28th April 2009, 06:32 PM
Miner

Re: Confidence and Reliability

This is probably a reliability demonstration test plan. Units are tested to a specific point in time with no more than a specified number of failures to demonstrate a specified reliability (R) at a specified confidence (.95 or .90) level. This results in Pass/Fail (attribute) data.

This link to the Reliasoft website provides additional information. I am not affiliated with Reliasoft. I use Minitab, which can determine the appropriate sample size for a demonstration test. Unfortunately, they do not have this information available online.

Note: I am moving this thread to the Reliability forum.
Thanks to Miner for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Sponsored Links

Old 5th May 2009, 06:41 PM
teqp1

Re: Confidence and Reliability - Reference to a 90/95 confidence and reliability leve

Hi - sorry to hijack this thread, but my question seemed to fit this topic.

Can someone cite a reference for sample size for attribute data table? I have seen a table but can't locate it in any textbooks that I have. The table I am referring to is based on the Bayes Success Run Theorem for reliability and confidence, e.g. reliability of 95% and a confidence of 95% with 0 failures allowed in the samples would require 59 samples.

Thank you in advance for the help.

Last edited by teqp1; 5th May 2009 at 06:43 PM. Reason: typo
Old 5th May 2009, 07:26 PM
Miner

Re: Confidence and Reliability - Reference to a 90/95 confidence and reliability leve

I could not locate the table to which you refer, but I did locate the formula that the table would have been based upon.

Bayes Success-Run Theorem (based on the binomial distribution).
R = (1-C) ^ (1/n) ;
R = Reliability (or probability of success) ,

C = confidence level ,

n = sample size. For "0" failures allowed on test
Given R=.95, C = .90 , solve for n
Ln(R)=(1/n)*Ln(1-C)
-.05129=(1/n)*(-2.30259)
n= 44.89 or 45.
Thanks to Miner for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Old 6th May 2009, 12:54 PM
teqp1

Miner,

Thank you for the information. Yes, that is the equation that I used and very certain that the table I am referring to is based on the same equation. I guess what I was looking for was a text that the table was in to use as a reference. Unfortunately, I don't have enough posts here to link a copy of the table I am referring to. I guess I need to post more!
Old 6th May 2009, 07:06 PM
Miner

The only text that I could locate was an abbreviated table on page 6 of this paper.
Old 6th May 2009, 08:32 PM
Juan Dude

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by teqp1 View Post

Can someone cite a reference for sample size for attribute data table? I have seen a table but can't locate it in any textbooks that I have. The table I am referring to is based on the Bayes Success Run Theorem for reliability and confidence, e.g. reliability of 95% and a confidence of 95% with 0 failures allowed in the samples would require 59 samples.
Is it this one (refer attached file)? Reference included.
Attached Thumbnails
Sample size for Attributes.JPG  

Last edited by Juan Dude; 7th May 2009 at 12:06 PM.
Thank You to Juan Dude for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Old 7th May 2009, 10:27 AM
teqp1

Juan Dude,

Thank you. That table is very similar to the copy I have, just formatting is different.
I had a question about the reference cited. Is the full title, Handbook of Reliability Engineering and Management? I can't locate the title cited under the authors. There is a Handbook of Reliability Engineering by a Hoang Pham with a 1st edition in 2003. But there is Handbook of Reliability Engineering and Management written by W.G. Ireson and C. F. Coombs.

Thank you for the clarification.

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Manufacturing, Service, and Business Systems Processes > Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards

Do you find this discussion thread helpful and informational?