Elsmar Cove Forum Header Graphic The Elsmar Cove Wiki More Free Files The Elsmar Cove Forums Discussion Thread Index Post Attachments Listing Failure Modes Services and Solutions to Problems Elsmar cove Forums Main Page Elsmar Cove Home Page
Miner's MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) Blog 
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Elsmar Cove Forum Community Forums > Community Discussion Topics > Brain Teasers and Puzzles
Forum Username

Wooden Line

Puzzle given by Company Recruitment Team - Page 2

Wooden Line
Search the Elsmar Cove
Search Elsmar
Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Follow Marc & Elsmar
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed  Marc Smith's Google+ Page  Marc Smith's Linked In Page   Marc Smith's Elsmar Cove YouTube Page  Marc Smith's Facebook Page  Elsmar Cove Twitter Feed
Elsmar Cove Groups
Elsmar Cove Google+ Group  Elsmar Cove LinkedIn Group  Elsmar Cove Facebook Group
Donate and $ Contributor Forum Access
Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

Howard's
International Quality Services
Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting
Bob Doering's
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook
IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors
SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers
Quality Digest Portal
IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology
ASQ - American Society for Quality

Related Topic Tags
puzzles

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
Old 2nd September 2009, 02:02 PM
Wes Bucey

Re: Try this out - Puzzle given by Company Recruitment team

For the mathematically impaired, would one of you savants post a solution?

Sponsored Links
Old 2nd September 2009, 03:05 PM
Frank T.

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Wes Bucey View Post

would one of you savants post a solution?
I have attached the solution, which took me 45 seconds.

I apologize if I spoiled it, for those of you who have not tried to solve it yet!!
Attached Thumbnails
Solution.JPG  
Sponsored Links

Old 2nd September 2009, 03:21 PM
Craig H.

2 1/2 minutes. I got a different solution, but we had the same columns in a different order.
Old 2nd September 2009, 04:04 PM
db

three days, and i still haven't got it figured out
Old 2nd September 2009, 04:06 PM
Wes Bucey

Question Re: Try this out - Puzzle given by Company Recruitment team

Well, Frank and Craig and the rest of you folks, I may be having a super brain freeze today or just old age finally getting me - I don't understand the mechanism for the program to calculate the 4 extreme corner boxes - because I was able to make the other boxes register 56 in about 10 seconds, but did not have the temperment to work through why the four corners had different tallies.

Please remove the mystery for me so I can have at least one more AHA moment before I die!
Old 2nd September 2009, 04:26 PM
Craig H.

Quote:

Well, Frank and Craig and the rest of you folks, I may be having a super brain freeze today or just old age finally getting me - I don't understand the mechanism for the program to calculate the 4 extreme corner boxes - because I was able to make the other boxes register 56 in about 10 seconds, but did not have the temperment to work through why the four corners had different tallies.

Please remove the mystery for me so I can have at least one more AHA moment before I die!
My thought process was to first confirm that it seemed like the same 4 numbers were in all of the boxes, and that the four numbers added up to the desired sum. Then, starting on the right side I put them in order, top to bottom. On the left, bottom to top. Then it was just a matter of plug and chug to fill in the rest. All of the rows and all of the columns have each of the four possible numbers once and only once.
Old 2nd September 2009, 04:30 PM
Wes Bucey

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Craig H. View Post

My thought process was to first confirm that it seemed like the same 4 numbers were in all of the boxes, and that the four numbers added up to the desired sum. Then, starting on the right side I put them in order, top to bottom. On the left, bottom to top. Then it was just a matter of plug and chug to fill in the rest. All of the rows and all of the columns have each of the four possible numbers once and only once.
That's a solution, but I don't feel any AHA yet.
Old 2nd September 2009, 05:02 PM
Frank T.

Quote:

Each diagonal box has to contain a 3, 7, 15 and 31.

Attached example to better illustrate.
Attached Thumbnails
Soultion II.JPG  
Thanks to Frank T. for your informative Post and/or Attachment!

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Elsmar Cove Forum Community Forums > Community Discussion Topics > Brain Teasers and Puzzles

Do you find this discussion thread helpful and informational?