The Elsmar Cove Wiki More Free Files The Elsmar Cove Forums Discussion Thread Index Post Attachments Listing Failure Modes Services and Solutions to Problems Elsmar cove Forums Main Page Elsmar Cove Home Page
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Quality Manager Issues > Quality Management Related Issues
Forum Username

Search the Elsmar Cove
Custom Search
Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Follow Marc & Elsmar
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed  Marc Smith's Google+ Page  Marc Smith's Linked In Page   Marc Smith's Elsmar Cove YouTube Page  Marc Smith's Facebook Page  Elsmar Cove Twitter Feed
Elsmar Cove Groups
Elsmar Cove Google+ Group  Elsmar Cove LinkedIn Group  Elsmar Cove Facebook Group
Donate and $ Contributor Forum Access

Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

Howard's
International Quality Services
Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting
Bob Doering's
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook
IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors
SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers
Quality Digest Portal
IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology
ASQ - American Society for Quality

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2nd May 2009, 12:41 AM
Involved in Discussions

Question What are the functions of Corporate Quality Assurance

i want to know what are the functions of "Corporate Quality Assurance". how it is different than "Quality Assurance".

Kedarg6500

Sponsored Links
Old 2nd May 2009, 02:14 AM
'Quality' Comes First

Re: Corporate Quality Assurance

Hi Kedar:

While personally I would not want to distinguish between the two, as I feel they are more or less the same, just to answer your query, all activities related to quality assurance and management occuring at a corporate level would be called 'Corporate Quality Assurance'. Bad definition, I guess.

To make it simpler, go to the ISO 9001 standards, and find all clauses where 'top management shall' is mentioned. There are 9 of them, clearly the responsibility of Top Management - Corporate Quality Assurance!

Ciao.

Sincerely, SAM
"Thee findeth a solution and I promise thee to findeth another problem to mull...."
Sponsored Links

Old 2nd May 2009, 08:07 AM
Forum Administrator

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by kedarg6500 View Post

i want to know what are the functions of "Corporate Quality Assurance". how it is different than "Quality Assurance".

Kedarg6500
It depends on how your organization defines it ....

Generally, the organizations that have multiple sites have this Corporate Quality Assurance (CQA) sitting on top of the individual Plant Quality Assurance (QA).

The broad roles and responsibilities would be as follows :

RESPONSIBILITES:

1. Prepare Corporate Quality Policy
2. Undertake audits across all sites to ensure compliance on an organizational level.
3. Prepare corporate procedures to ensure standarization across al sites.

Thus, the CQA manages QA at an organizational level while the Plant QA undertake the day to day QA activities.

Hope the concept is clear

You canít use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have Ė Maya Angelou
Thank You to Ajit Basrur for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Old 2nd May 2009, 08:42 AM
Forum Moderator

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Sam4Quality View Post

Hi Kedar:

While personally I would not want to distinguish between the two, as I feel they are more or less the same, just to answer your query, all activities related to quality assurance and management occuring at a corporate level would be called 'Corporate Quality Assurance'. Bad definition, I guess.

To make it simpler, go to the ISO 9001 standards, and find all clauses where 'top management shall' is mentioned. There are 9 of them, clearly the responsibility of Top Management - Corporate Quality Assurance!

Ciao.
I fear I am becoming a cynic in not agreeing with you.

In my view it is more as Ajit has so well described it...in a functional organization. In a dysfunctional organization, Corporate Quality Assurance makes lofty plans and directives, while site Quality Assurance tries to understand what they want, how they will get it done without resources, and why they are being compared against almost completely dissimilar sites.

Sorry, I will go stand in my corner now.

"If you only have a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail." Abraham Maslow
Thanks to Jennifer Kirley for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Old 2nd May 2009, 11:34 AM
Cross Forum Moderator

Re: What are the functions of Corporate Quality Assurance

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by kedarg6500 View Post

Kedarg6500
It would be helpful if you were to tell us why you want to know the difference--context is important. What do you think the difference is?

In general, large companies with multiple sites have one site that serves as "headquarters" for the corporation. It's the place where (irrespective of any other activities) corporate executives work, and in most cases direct the activities of the subsidiary venues. Each of those ancillary locations will likely have its own management team that answers to the higher-ups at headquarters. Thus there is likely to be a corporate finance department as well as accounting functions (payroll, accounts payable/receivable, e.g.) in the subsidiary locations. So it is (or might be) with QA. A local QA manager might report to a corporate manager/director/VP.

It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it. --Upton Sinclair
Thanks to Jim Wynne for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Old 4th May 2009, 03:12 AM
'Quality' Comes First

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Kirley

I fear I am becoming a cynic in not agreeing with you.

In my view it is more as Ajit has so well described it...in a functional organization. In a dysfunctional organization, Corporate Quality Assurance makes lofty plans and directives, while site Quality Assurance tries to understand what they want, how they will get it done without resources, and why they are being compared against almost completely dissimilar sites.

Sorry, I will go stand in my corner now.
Yes, I think I agree with you, Ajit and Jim on the concept. I think I erred in relating 'corporate' directly with 'Top management' and used the the standards explain it .

Ciao.

Sincerely, SAM
"Thee findeth a solution and I promise thee to findeth another problem to mull...."
Old 4th May 2009, 04:16 AM
Involved in Discussions

Quid Pro Quo Re: What are the functions of Corporate Quality Assurance

my intension to raise the topic is what are the roles & responsibilities of "Corporate Quality Assurance"

Kedarg6500
Old 4th May 2009, 10:42 AM

OK....Corporate Quality Assurrance has the responsibility to do whatever the corporate leadership requires of it...End of story

You'll have everybody here listing everything from cleaning bottles to doing open heart surgery and in the end you won't get a solid answer because it is only the boss that can define what roles and responsibilities really are and what other people think doesn't matter one bit.

We who have seen war, will never stop seeing it. In the silence of the night, we will always hear the screams. Joe Galloway
Thanks to Randy for your informative Post and/or Attachment!

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Quality Manager Issues > Quality Management Related Issues

Do you find this discussion thread helpful and informational?