Elsmar Cove Forum Header Graphic The Elsmar Cove Wiki More Free Files The Elsmar Cove Forums Discussion Thread Index Post Attachments Listing Failure Modes Services and Solutions to Problems Elsmar cove Forums Main Page Elsmar Cove Home Page
Miner's MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) Blog 
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > ISO (International Organization for Standardization) Standards > ISO 17025 - General Metrology, Measurement Device, Calibration and Test Laboratories > ISO 17025 and related Metrology Topics - Measurement Devices, Calibration and Test Laboratories
Forum Username

Wooden Line

Starting up a new Calibration Laboratory

Wooden Line
Search the Elsmar Cove
Search Elsmar
Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Follow Marc & Elsmar
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed  Marc Smith's Google+ Page  Marc Smith's Linked In Page   Marc Smith's Elsmar Cove YouTube Page  Marc Smith's Facebook Page  Elsmar Cove Twitter Feed
Elsmar Cove Groups
Elsmar Cove Google+ Group  Elsmar Cove LinkedIn Group  Elsmar Cove Facebook Group
Donate and $ Contributor Forum Access
Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

Howard's
International Quality Services
Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting
Bob Doering's
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook
IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors
SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers
Quality Digest Portal
IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology
ASQ - American Society for Quality

Related Topic Tags
calibration (metrology) laboratories

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
Old 20th May 2009, 03:40 PM
SGCalLab

Please Help! Starting up a new Calibration Laboratory

Hello everyone,

I just got hired on to a company and have been tasked with creating a calibration lab from the ground up. They have not had a need for a real cal lab before, but some customers and other regulations are pushing them to create one and start using it. It will need to be FDA compliant.

From what I know right now (only my third day) Iíll be calibrating lotís of temperature indicators, thermocouples (J/K), RTD, pressure gauges (air/liquid), vacuum gauges, RPM (converting Hz to RPM), compound pressure sensors, etcÖ

Iíve been tasked to buy equipment to calibrate with. Mindful, I have to keep it in reason.

Some of the equipment I was looking at are:
  • Process Calibrators (Fluke 743b or 725)
  • Temperature Calibrators (Fluke 724)
  • Pressure (Fluke 718)
  • Loop Calibrator (Fluke 707)
  • Power supply
  • RPM Calibrator
  • Field (portable) Metrology Well (for thermocouples)
These donít have to be all Fluke. I am familiar with Fluke more than some others like Omega for instance, but I donít have to stick with Fluke if others are better.

Looking for suggestions on what equipment to buy.

Thanks!!

Sponsored Links
Old 20th May 2009, 03:57 PM
Coury Ferguson

Re: Starting up a new Cal Lab

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by SGCalLab View Post

Hello everyone,

I just got hired on to a company and have been tasked with creating a calibration lab from the ground up. They have not had a need for a real cal lab before, but some customers and other regulations are pushing them to create one and start using it. It will need to be FDA compliant.

From what I know right now (only my third day) I’ll be calibrating lot’s of temperature indicators, thermocouples (J/K), RTD, pressure gauges (air/liquid), vacuum gauges, RPM (converting Hz to RPM), compound pressure sensors, etc…

I’ve been tasked to buy equipment to calibrate with. Mindful, I have to keep it in reason.

• Pressure (Fluke 718)
  • Power supply
  • RPM Calibrator
These don’t have to be all Fluke. I am familiar with Fluke more than some others like Omega for instance, but I don’t have to stick with Fluke if others are better.

Thanks!!

Here is a Manual that I found while looking for something similar. It is the NIST's and it is a template. I didn't see any "Copyright" statement on the Manual. I have split it into two parts, because the file size exceeds the upload limit.

Maybe it may help you.
Attached Files: 1. Scan for viruses before using, 2. Please report any 'bad' files by Reporting this post, 3. Use at your Own Risk.
File Type: pdf Pages from ISO17025 Manual-Pages 1-55.pdf (2.80 MB, 1506 views)
File Type: pdf Pages from ISO17025 Manual-Pages 56-110.pdf (1.85 MB, 1041 views)
Thank You to Coury Ferguson for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Sponsored Links

Old 20th May 2009, 04:02 PM
Jeff Frost

Re: Starting up a new Calibration Laboratory

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by SGCalLab View Post

Hello everyone,

From what I know right now (only my third day) I’ll be calibrating lot’s of temperature indicators, thermocouples (J/K), RTD, pressure gauges (air/liquid), vacuum gauges, RPM (converting Hz to RPM), compound pressure sensors, etc…

I’ve been tasked to buy equipment to calibrate with. Mindful, I have to keep it in reason.

• Pressure (Fluke 718)
  • Power supply
  • RPM Calibrator
These don’t have to be all Fluke. I am familiar with Fluke more than some others like Omega for instance, but I don’t have to stick with Fluke if others are better.

Thanks!!
What is your background in calibration?

Before you purchase calibration equipment you will need to review process equipment to understand the equipment accuracy you will be calibrating and what accuracy the actual process requires.

Since you are working with process equipment that contain multiple elements such as display modules and thermal couples you will also need to determine total system accuracy which is not the adding together of the display unit accuracy and thermal couple accuracy.

Calibration equipment itself should have a system accuracy at a minimum 4:1 to a preferred 10:1 ratio to the unit under test with calibration certification reflecting actual results traceable to a national or international standard body.

When calibrating pressure gauges the actual calibration standard should have a 1/4 of 1% accuracy over the most accurate process gauge using nitrogen as a calibration media.

Last edited by Jeff Frost; 21st May 2009 at 10:22 AM. Reason: Rewrote last sentence to improve clarity
Thanks to Jeff Frost for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Old 22nd May 2009, 09:14 AM
SGCalLab

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Jeff Frost View Post

What is your background in calibration?

Before you purchase calibration equipment you will need to review process equipment to understand the equipment accuracy you will be calibrating and what accuracy the actual process requires.

Since you are working with process equipment that contain multiple elements such as display modules and thermal couples you will also need to determine total system accuracy which is not the adding together of the display unit accuracy and thermal couple accuracy.

Calibration equipment itself should have a system accuracy at a minimum 4:1 to a preferred 10:1 ratio to the unit under test with calibration certification reflecting actual results traceable to a national or international standard body.

When calibrating pressure gauges the actual calibration standard should have a 1/4 of 1% accuracy over the most accurate process gauge using nitrogen as a calibration media.
I had calibration lab experience and training in the military. I'm new to this type of enviroment.

Most of what I have found out thus far, is the the tolerances on the process is between 1 - 3%.
Old 22nd May 2009, 10:00 AM
BradM

Look at my response in your other thread. Before you buy anything...

You need to make a thorough (and accurate) inventory of the equipment. The labor you will need to do the work is going to need to be sold to management. Also, you will need to evaluate vendors, audit them, etc. Thus, you need to determine what is before you.

As far as standards, look at buying the standards that are critical for your process. Or more simply put, get the most bang for your buck.

Starting off, you may want to qualify some vendors, and have them calibrate the equipment for you. It's going to take you some time to get things going. So assure the equipment is calibrated and tagged properly first.

Then, you can work on setting up your calibration system.
Old 22nd May 2009, 05:57 PM
Hershal

Step number one is to join NCSLI www.ncsli.org and get the Recommended Practices (RPs). There is a RP specifically for how to set up a cal lab.

Make sure you control both temp and RH.

Also, get a copy of ANS/ISO/IEC 17025:2005 whether you intend to get accreditation or not as it will help develop a good management structure to maintain control and provide services. If you intend to seek accreditation don't just pick any, shop around a bit first.

If your parent organization has Government contracts, join GIDEP www.gidep.org to have access to military calibration porocedures and avoid validation issues.

Get training in the specific types of calibration you will be doing and make sure it is documented. There are NIST sessions and similar at NCSLI in San Antonio end of July.

Hope this helps.
Thank You to Hershal for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Old 26th May 2009, 02:34 PM
SGCalLab

Hershal, what's the difference between NCSLI and ANSI? (as for becoming members of).
Old 27th May 2009, 10:45 PM
Hershal

NCSLI is a membership organization of Metrology professionals.....for calibration, this is the better organization.....
Thanks to Hershal for your informative Post and/or Attachment!

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > ISO (International Organization for Standardization) Standards > ISO 17025 - General Metrology, Measurement Device, Calibration and Test Laboratories > ISO 17025 and related Metrology Topics - Measurement Devices, Calibration and Test Laboratories

Do you find this discussion thread helpful and informational?