Elsmar Cove Forum Header Graphic The Elsmar Cove Wiki Sitemap More Free Files The Elsmar Cove Forums Discussion Thread Index Post Attachments Listing Failure Modes Services and Solutions to Problems Elsmar Cove Forums Main Page Elsmar Cove Home Page
NQA-USA
Miner's MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) Blog 
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > ISO (International Organization for Standardization) Standards > ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) and Food Safety
Forum Username

Wooden Line

Food Cross Contamination question

Search the Elsmar Cove
Search Elsmar
Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Follow Marc & Elsmar
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed  Marc Smith's Google+ Page  Marc Smith's Linked In Page   Marc Smith's Elsmar Cove YouTube Page  Marc Smith's Facebook Page  Elsmar Cove Twitter Feed
Elsmar Cove Groups
Elsmar Cove Google+ Group  Elsmar Cove LinkedIn Group  Elsmar Cove Facebook Group
Sponsor Links

Donate and $ Contributor Forum Access
Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

Howard's
International Quality Services
Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting
Bob Doering's
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook
IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors
SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers
Quality Digest Portal
IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology
ASQ - American Society for Quality

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
  Post Number #1  
Old 5th June 2009, 04:01 PM
blue moon

Total Posts: 216
Question Food Cross Contamination question

Dear friend i have some question about cross contamination and related example and i hope if you correct me

1- i visit a restaurant , they hope to get ISO 22000 , they cutting the meet and chicken and vegetables in the same place with the same tool

when i ask thier manager he told me that

1- they use this place only for uncoocked food like raw meat , raw chicken and fresh vegetables

2- all of previous will coocked with using a tool for the cocked food

my question and please i hope if some one answer all question : according to ISO 22000

1- is this situation is right

2- is this important to separate the places used for cutting the raw meat , rae chicken and raw vegatables i.e. ( is this important to make a separate room for every type)

3- can we use the same tool for uncoocked food like raw meat , raw chicken and fresh vegetables

if there is a cross conamination please describe where the cross conamination and how it happen ?

thanks

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #2  
Old 6th June 2009, 12:55 AM
harry

Total Posts: 6,278
Re: Food Cross Contamination question

In short, cross-contamination is when bacteria spread between food, surfaces or equipment.

Example:
different food stored together or processed together - no
different food processed separately but on same surface (not cleaned in between) - no
different food processed separately and on different surfaces but using the same equipment (not cleaned in between) - no
and other combinations.
Thank You to harry for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Sponsored Links

Post Number #3  
Old 6th June 2009, 02:45 AM
Ajit Basrur

Total Posts: 5,757

This is more specifically an issue of Cleaning and Cross-contamination and not wise to put the entire ISO 22000 into the picture as ISO 22000 is much more than mere cleaning and preventing these types of issues.

Having said this, they could get possibly an Observation for not defining these steps in the proocedure adequately

Cleaning and preventing cross-contamination are both essential to make sure the food that is being consumed is safe to eat.

Effective cleaning gets rid of bacteria on hands, equipment and surfaces, which helps to stop harmful bacteria from spreading onto food.

Cross-contamination is when bacteria spread between food, surfaces or equipment. It's most likely to happen when raw foods gets in touch with the cooked food as raw food is rich in bacteria.

If you cut raw meat on a chopping board, harmful bacteria will spread from the meat to the board and knife and if the same board is used for cutting cooked food, the food would be full of these bacteria.

Incidently, I had started my working career in a Flight Catering Unit and we had different sections for raw and cooked food with different sets of choping boards, knives and other accessories.

Just a headsup from US Department of Agricultre - Food Safety and Inspection

Last edited by Ajit Basrur; 6th June 2009 at 02:48 AM. Reason: added USDA weblink
Thanks to Ajit Basrur for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #4  
Old 6th June 2009, 04:13 AM
blue moon

i can't understand

i know we must separate between coocked food and uncoocked food

but i want a reply for my question in the toipc
  Post Number #5  
Old 6th June 2009, 04:43 AM
Ajit Basrur

Simple answer is YES - segregation is required
  Post Number #6  
Old 6th June 2009, 05:59 AM
Polly Pure Bread

Total Posts: 490

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by tech4arab View Post

Dear friend i have some question about cross contamination and related example and i hope if you correct me

1- i visit a restaurant , they hope to get ISO 22000 , they cutting the meet and chicken and vegetables in the same place with the same tool

when i ask thier manager he told me that

1- they use this place only for uncoocked food like raw meat , raw chicken and fresh vegetables

2- all of previous will coocked with using a tool for the cocked food

my question and please i hope if some one answer all question : according to ISO 22000
Quote:

1- is this situation is right
NO

Quote:

2- is this important to separate the places used for cutting the raw meat , rae chicken and raw vegatables i.e. ( is this important to make a separate room for every type)
YES
i suggest this practice...

1. Cutting board and knives (handles)
Green = vegetables and fresh fruits
Red = Beef
Blue = Sea foods
Pink/Orange = Pork
Yellow = Poultry
White = Dairy and bread

2. Crates
Green = vegetables and fresh fruits
Red = Beef
Blue = Sea foods
Pink/Orange = Pork
Yellow = Poultry

3. Cleaning tools
Green = Food contact surfaces in the Production Area (e.g. prep. Tables, inside equipment, shelves inside storage units/hot cabinets, etc)
Red = Non-food contact surfaces in the Production Area (e.g. outside of equipment, shelves for pots and pans, floors, walls, and other non-food contact premises)
Yellow = Dry Areas in the Counter and Dining Areas
Blue = We Areas in the Counter and Dining Areas

Quote:

3- can we use the same tool for uncoocked food like raw meat , raw chicken and fresh vegetables
CANNOT

Quote:

if there is a cross conamination please describe where the cross conamination and how it happen ?
POSSIBLE
Contamination presence of something objectionable on/in food.
Contaminants any substance or object that makes food harmful, objectionable or contaminate.
Cross contamination microorganisms are carried from one source to another.
Thanks to Polly Pure Bread for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #7  
Old 6th June 2009, 01:41 PM
blue moon

very thanks to all

but i think we can use one tool for raw meat and raw chicken and cut them in the same tables

they are the same type ?

or we must separte between them ?
  Post Number #8  
Old 6th June 2009, 02:39 PM
Ajit Basrur

Quote:

very thanks to all

but i think we can use one tool for raw meat and raw chicken and cut them in the same tables

they are the same type ?

or we must separte between them ?
It all depends on how you put up your practices. A good system would be to use different tools

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > ISO (International Organization for Standardization) Standards > ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) and Food Safety

Do you find this discussion thread helpful and informational?