Elsmar Cove Forum Header Graphic The Elsmar Cove Wiki More Free Files The Elsmar Cove Forums Discussion Thread Index Post Attachments Listing Failure Modes Services and Solutions to Problems Elsmar cove Forums Main Page Elsmar Cove Home Page
NQA-USA
NQA-USA
Miner's MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) Blog 
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > ISO (International Organization for Standardization) Standards > ISO 17025 - General Metrology, Measurement Device, Calibration and Test Laboratories > Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis)
Forum Username

Search the Elsmar Cove
Search Elsmar
Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Follow Marc & Elsmar
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed  Marc Smith's Google+ Page  Marc Smith's Linked In Page   Marc Smith's Elsmar Cove YouTube Page  Marc Smith's Facebook Page  Elsmar Cove Twitter Feed
Elsmar Cove Groups
Elsmar Cove Google+ Group  Elsmar Cove LinkedIn Group  Elsmar Cove Facebook Group
Donate and $ Contributor Forum Access
Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

Howard's
International Quality Services
Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting
Bob Doering's
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook
IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors
SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers
Quality Digest Portal
IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology
ASQ - American Society for Quality

Related Topic Tags
crossed gage r&r, gage r&r (repeatability and reproducibility), p-value, anova (analysis of variance)

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
Old 29th June 2009, 11:29 AM
Shy Poster (1 to 5 Posts)

Registration Date: Mar 2009

Thanks Given to Others: 1
Karma Power: 23
straetfeild has less than 100 Karma points so far.
Please Help! p-Value(s) for Anova (Crossed) GRR (Gage R&R) Studies

Good day all,

I've had discussions with colleagues of mine here at work debating whether or not an acceptable p-value is required to use a given set of data for a GRR study (10*3*3). I can't find where MSA or any other documented parameters require me to do so. The experience of one of my peers is that his customer (a Big-3 automotive manufacturing company) required this in person, so we should have this as our standard accross the board.

Mathematically speaking, does an unacceptable p-value (p>0.05) automatically render the data unacceptable for an ANOVA-crossed GRR, and if so, is the reason because it is an ANOVA-based study?

I appreciate any advise and/or thoughts you may have, and I apologize in advance for any breach in established posting protocol.

(Edit: I tried to copy-paste the data, but was unsuccessful.)

Thanks!

Last edited by straetfeild; 29th June 2009 at 11:35 AM.

Sponsored Links
Old 29th June 2009, 11:18 PM
Forum Moderator

Registration Date: Apr 2002

Thanks Given to Others: 604
Thanked 2,084 Times in 1,328 Posts
Karma Power: 443
Miner is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Miner is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Miner is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Miner is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Miner is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Miner is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Miner is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Miner is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Miner is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Re: p-Value(s) for Anova (Crossed) GRR (Gage R&R) Studies

I love this question. This is the first NEW MSA question that I have seen in a long time.

To start, the current MSA methodology as defined by AIAG, endorsed by the automotive industry and codified by the statistical software companies totally ignore the p-values with one exception.

That exception is for the Operator x Part interaction. In Minitab, if the Op x Part interaction p-value is greater than 0.25 (default value), the interaction is then pooled with the ANOVA error term thus becoming part of Repeatability. If it is less than 0.25, it is shown separately as a sub-item under Reproducibility. Why 0.25? Minitab says to stay consistent with AIAG. AIAG wanted to be extremely conservative about pooling the interaction in error.

Technically, if the Reproducibility p-value is greater than alpha (usually 0.05), it also should be pooled into the error term becoming part of Repeatability. It is only when it is less than alpha that Reproducibility can be distinguished from Repeatability. However, AIAG is silent on this matter and the canned MSA routines in software do not allow it. To do it yourself, you would have to run the standard ANOVA routines and manually generate the graphs.

The p-value for Parts also provides information. If the p-value of Parts is greater than alpha, the part variation is indistinguishable from Repeatability variation. If the p-value is less than alpha, the gage can distinguish at least one part as different from the rest. Not definitive that the gage is good (p < alpha), but conclusive that it is not good (p > alpha).

Thank you for this question.

"A fool can learn from his own experiences; the wise learn from the experience of others." - Democritus, 460-370 B.C.
Thank You to Miner for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Sponsored Links

Old 5th May 2013, 03:22 AM
Involved in Discussions

Registration Date: Nov 2006

Karma Power: 34
Piotr Stoklosa has less than 100 Karma points so far.

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Miner View Post

Why 0.25? Minitab says to stay consistent with AIAG. AIAG wanted to be extremely conservative about pooling the interaction in error.
Does it mean that 0.25 is another rule of thumb? Or maybe it has any statistical background? Sometimes I suspect that it has something to do with alpha level: because the interaction is part * oper, so it's like squaring 0.05 * 0.05, but it gives only 0.0025, not 0.25.
Old 5th May 2013, 01:49 PM
Forum Moderator

Miner is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Miner is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Miner is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Miner is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Miner is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Miner is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Miner is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Miner is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Miner is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Look! Re: p-Value(s) for Anova (Crossed) GRR (Gage R&R) Studies

It does have something to do with alpha. AIAG has arbitrarily established an alpha = 0.25. This means that there is a 25% chance that if the null hypothesis (there is no interaction) is correct you will mistakenly reject that hypothesis in favor of the alternate hypothesis (there is an interaction).

I strongly disagree with this approach. The alpha risk for the interaction should be the same as for the operators.

"A fool can learn from his own experiences; the wise learn from the experience of others." - Democritus, 460-370 B.C.
Thanks to Miner for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Old 21st October 2014, 02:04 PM
Involved in Discussions

Registration Date: Nov 2006

Karma Power: 34
Piotr Stoklosa has less than 100 Karma points so far.

Good news for everyone. In Minitab 17 they lowered default "alpha to remove interaction" to 0,05 which is now explicable with CI :-).

To Miner: In your previous message you say that AIAG requires 0,25 (I can't find a source of this information, whould you be so kind to give me the reference?). Does it mean that AIAG changed its mind and accepted recognized statistical approach?

Thank you for comments.
Old 21st October 2014, 05:22 PM
Forum Moderator

Look! Re: p-Value(s) for Anova (Crossed) GRR (Gage R&R) Studies

I took a quick look through the MSA manual versions 3 & 4 and could not find anything either. I cannot remember whether this was in an earlier version and was dropped, but it appears to be a non-issue now.

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > ISO (International Organization for Standardization) Standards > ISO 17025 - General Metrology, Measurement Device, Calibration and Test Laboratories > Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis)

Do you find this discussion thread helpful and informational?