The Elsmar Cove Wiki More Free Files The Elsmar Cove Forums Discussion Thread Index Post Attachments Listing Failure Modes Services and Solutions to Problems Elsmar cove Forums Main Page Elsmar Cove Home Page
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Common Quality Assurance Processes and Tools > Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis > Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools / Solutions > Using Minitab Software
Forum Username

Search the Elsmar Cove
Custom Search
Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Follow Marc & Elsmar
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed  Marc Smith's Google+ Page  Marc Smith's Linked In Page   Marc Smith's Elsmar Cove YouTube Page  Marc Smith's Facebook Page  Elsmar Cove Twitter Feed
Elsmar Cove Groups
Elsmar Cove Google+ Group  Elsmar Cove LinkedIn Group  Elsmar Cove Facebook Group
Sponsor Links

Donate and $ Contributor Forum Access

Click the graphic above.
Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

Howard's
International Quality Services
Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting
Bob Doering's
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook
IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors
SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers
Quality Digest Portal
IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology
ASQ - American Society for Quality

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
Old 8th July 2009, 01:21 PM
Inactive Registered Visitor

Registration Date: Jul 2009

Thanks Given to Others: 0
Karma Power: 21
Estelita has less than 100 Karma points so far.
Interpreting Partial Least Square Results

Hello everyone,

I run a Partial Least Square analysis with 15 predictors in Minitab 15 and would appreciate some help on how to interpret the results.
Under "Model Selection and Validation", the Minitab output window gives a list of 10 "Components" that the PLS analysis has selected as best predictors. 'Components" are identified with number 1,2 etc and I do not know which predictors they are equivalent to. I do know that predictor 1 is NOT equivalent to component 1... So basically my question is how to relate components and predictors? What statistics (p-value? coefficient of regression? etc) does Minitab uses to select components?
Thanks for reading my post and for helping me. Please let me know if you need more details.

Regards,

Sponsored Links
Old 8th July 2009, 07:06 PM
Forum Moderator

Registration Date: Apr 2002

Thanks Given to Others: 599
Thanked 2,028 Times in 1,290 Posts
Karma Power: 435
Miner is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Miner is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Miner is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Miner is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Miner is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Miner is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Miner is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Miner is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Re: Interpreting Partial Least Square Results

I am not an expert on Partial Least Squares (PLS), but I read Minitab's Help info on it. It described Components as being similar to the Factors in Factor Analysis of which I am familiar. It also described the purpose of PLS as condensing a large number of variables, some of which are highly correlated with each other to a reduced number of Components. Again, this is similar to Factor Analysis.

In Factor Analysis, Factors combine multiple variables that are correlated with each other into a single construct or factor that you must name. An example that I have seen took a study to "define" feebleness where many factors , such as gripping strength, arm movement, range of motion, etc. were measured. The study found that many of these measures were correlated and could be reduced to several macro-variables called factors. For example, gripping strength, arm strength, arm range of motion were grouped into a single factor named upper body.

Components appear to be the same concept. Highly correlated predictors are consolidated into a macro-predictor called a component. You must identify what they have in common and name the component.

Minitab uses Loadings to select components. Again, this is similar to Factor analysis. Look at the loading graph. Long lines have high loads. Lines that are very near each other are correlated.

That is as much as I can help you with.

"A fool can learn from his own experiences; the wise learn from the experience of others." - Democritus, 460-370 B.C.
Sponsored Links

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Common Quality Assurance Processes and Tools > Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis > Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools / Solutions > Using Minitab Software

Do you find this discussion thread helpful and informational?