The Elsmar Cove Wiki More Free Files The Elsmar Cove Forums Discussion Thread Index Post Attachments Listing Failure Modes Services and Solutions to Problems Elsmar cove Forums Main Page Elsmar Cove Home Page
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Common Quality Assurance Processes and Tools > Nonconformance and Corrective Action
Forum Username

Search the Elsmar Cove
Custom Search
Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Follow Marc & Elsmar
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed  Marc Smith's Google+ Page  Marc Smith's Linked In Page   Marc Smith's Elsmar Cove YouTube Page  Marc Smith's Facebook Page  Elsmar Cove Twitter Feed
Elsmar Cove Groups
Elsmar Cove Google+ Group  Elsmar Cove LinkedIn Group  Elsmar Cove Facebook Group
Sponsor Links

Donate and $ Contributor Forum Access

Click the graphic above.
Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

Howard's
International Quality Services
Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting
Bob Doering's
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook
IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors
SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers
Quality Digest Portal
IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology
ASQ - American Society for Quality

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
Old 26th September 2001, 06:39 AM
Audrey
Unregistered Guest

Question Corrective Action Impact

I know this subject has probably been raised before, but I have not been here long...
I just read TS16949 standard regarding preventive action and corrective action and this is what I understand:
When you have got a fault and you rectify it, it is a corrective action.
When you have a similar product and you apply the same fix to prevent the same failure (lessons learnt), it is not a preventive action but a corrective action impact.
And then what is the difference between PA and CI?
Any thoughts??? I have got to admit I am a bit confused....

Sponsored Links
Old 26th September 2001, 10:04 AM
Just Me!

Registration Date: Jun 2001

Thanks Given to Others: 79
Karma Power: 106
E Wall is appreciated, and has over 900 Karma points.E Wall is appreciated, and has over 900 Karma points.E Wall is appreciated, and has over 900 Karma points.E Wall is appreciated, and has over 900 Karma points.E Wall is appreciated, and has over 900 Karma points.E Wall is appreciated, and has over 900 Karma points.E Wall is appreciated, and has over 900 Karma points.E Wall is appreciated, and has over 900 Karma points.
I Say...

Audrey, We do not have nor have I read the TS16949 standard. Our current system is ISO 9002:1994. We do not use the phrase 'corrective action impact' only CA & PA.

We do apply 'lesson learned' knowledge to preventive action, because we did not go out of spec, nor was there a trend identifying we were heading out..rather only an improvement that precludes a possible failure. Example:Replacing friction roller type on all lines after the larger product had a problem. Other lines were not affected, nor were smaller product impacted...but to avoid the possibility...we upgraded all. So to us this would be identified as CA on the problem line/products and PA on all others.

The organization's documented prodedure should specify the appropriate sources of information that would be analyzed in order to detect and eliminate potential causes of nonconformities. These sources could include, but are not limited to: Nonconformity records; Results of Customer Satisfaction Surveys; Field, service, or customer complaints; Sub-contractor problems; Observations by personnel; Audit observations; Inspection & test records, Process monitoring results; etc...

Best wishes,
Sponsored Links

Old 26th September 2001, 10:27 AM
Your Elsmar Cove Host

Registration Date: Jan 1996

Thanks Given to Others: 9,404
Thanked 5,149 Times in 3,271 Posts
Karma Power: 400
Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Yin Yang

Take a read through http://Elsmar.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=3189 for some thoughts on Preventive Actions.
Old 27th September 2001, 11:11 AM
Involved in Discussions

Registration Date: Apr 2001

Thanks Given to Others: 0
Karma Power: 65
Fire Girl has less than 100 Karma points so far.
Audrey

Hello. I just went thru this with my registrar a few months ago. I asked them to clarify the difference between Corrective & Preventive Action. I have copied the e-mail they sent me clearing this us. Check it out

"Corrective Action: Action taken to eliminate the cause of nonconformities
in order to prevent recurrence.

Preventive Action: Action taken to eliminate the causes of potential
nonconformities in order to prevent their occurrence.

Preventive Actions are typically generated through trend analysis of
processes and product related issues. They can also come about from
benchmarking and hypothetical situations that you have thought of but have
not yet happened.

Preventive Actions can also be demonstrated in applications like error
proofing."

I hope this helps you. Good luck!

Fire Girl
Old 28th September 2001, 04:22 AM
Audrey
Unregistered Guest

BIG Smile

That is very helpful thanks a lot.

Audrey
Old 28th September 2001, 02:01 PM
Appreciated Information Resource

Registration Date: Sep 2001

Thanks Given to Others: 10
Karma Power: 165
gpainter is appreciated, and has over 900 Karma points.gpainter is appreciated, and has over 900 Karma points.gpainter is appreciated, and has over 900 Karma points.gpainter is appreciated, and has over 900 Karma points.gpainter is appreciated, and has over 900 Karma points.gpainter is appreciated, and has over 900 Karma points.gpainter is appreciated, and has over 900 Karma points.gpainter is appreciated, and has over 900 Karma points.
CORRECTIVE ACTION: used to eliminate a current problem. More than likely thru root cause.(replace line leaking oil on parts)
CORRECTIVE ACTION IMPACT: used to eliminate problems in other areas that could face same problem,learn from our mistakes ( replace line on all machines that have the same type).
PREVENTIVE ACTION: identification of potential problems before they occur for action now. Action is usually based on facts data(FEMA is a good source (we hear gas is going up to $5.00 a gal, so we fill all of our tanks)
Many companies confuse the later two. All of the above result in continiual improvement of the QMS
Old 28th September 2001, 02:18 PM
Your Elsmar Cove Host

Registration Date: Jan 1996

Thanks Given to Others: 9,404
Thanked 5,149 Times in 3,271 Posts
Karma Power: 400
Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
> CORRECTIVE ACTION IMPACT: used to eliminate problems in
> other areas that could face same problem,learn from our
> mistakes ( replace line on all machines that have the same
> type).

Thanks!
Old 1st April 2007, 07:04 AM
Shy Poster (1 to 5 Posts)

Registration Date: Apr 2005

Thanks Given to Others: 0
Karma Power: 38
travi95 has less than 100 Karma points so far.
Re: Corrective Action Impact

The difference between Corrective Action Impact (CAI) & Preventive Action (PA) is based on the relationship of the entity. If an organisation has multi-location multiple units and in one unit you find a problem and take a Corrective Action (CA) and if the similar problem is possible in other units and you deploy the same action in the other units:

a) It will be called as CAI if the other unit is part of the group and has a common QMS certification

b) It will be called as PA if the unit has an independent QMS certification.

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Common Quality Assurance Processes and Tools > Nonconformance and Corrective Action

Do you find this discussion thread helpful and informational?