The Elsmar Cove Wiki More Free Files The Elsmar Cove Forums Discussion Thread Index Post Attachments Listing Failure Modes Services and Solutions to Problems Elsmar cove Forums Main Page Elsmar Cove Home Page
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > ISO (International Organization for Standardization) Standards > ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 - Quality Management Systems > ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 - Questions and Discussions
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Search the Elsmar Cove
Custom Search
Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Follow Marc & Elsmar
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed  Marc Smith's Google+ Page  Marc Smith's Linked In Page   Marc Smith's Elsmar Cove YouTube Page  Marc Smith's Facebook Page  Elsmar Cove Twitter Feed
Elsmar Cove Groups
Elsmar Cove Google+ Group  Elsmar Cove LinkedIn Group  Elsmar Cove Facebook Group
Sponsor Links

Donate and $ Contributor Forum Access
Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

Howard's
International Quality Services
Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting
Bob Doering's
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook
IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors
SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers
Quality Digest Portal
IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology
ASQ - American Society for Quality

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
Old 23rd September 2009, 02:55 AM
Always learning

Registration Date: Jun 2008

Thanks Given to Others: 100
Karma Power: 47
Peter West is appreciated, and has over 1300 Karma points.Peter West is appreciated, and has over 1300 Karma points.Peter West is appreciated, and has over 1300 Karma points.Peter West is appreciated, and has over 1300 Karma points.Peter West is appreciated, and has over 1300 Karma points.Peter West is appreciated, and has over 1300 Karma points.Peter West is appreciated, and has over 1300 Karma points.Peter West is appreciated, and has over 1300 Karma points.Peter West is appreciated, and has over 1300 Karma points.Peter West is appreciated, and has over 1300 Karma points.
Please Help! ISO 9001 Company Quality Objectives and Targets - Communication to Employees

Hi Cove

We have a quality policy which lists out very general "quality" objectives, however in my eyes (and an external auditor) these are measured through satisfaction of separate business targets. As far as the average Joe in the company is concerned the only targets they are aware of are business ones, and thus when asked by an external auditor - what are the company quality objectives and targets? - they cannot provide a decent answer.

I am creating a QMS for our Middle East offices and want to ensure any such ambiguity is eliminated and set additional, lower level (i.e. all staff are aware of them) targets that are specifically relevant to quality. I already have the procedures in place so that these objectives will be measurable but wondered the best way to make these official?

I cannot adjust the company quality policy - so was unsure what could be used to officially communicate these objectives to the staff.

We have monthly meetings where I will report the progress of these targets to both employess and the Board but am unsure how to make them firm and tangible from the outset (I fear a poster on a wall will be ignored).

All ideas welcomed. Especially if they have worked for you in the past.

"One often meets his destiny on the road he takes to avoid it"

Sponsored Links
Old 23rd September 2009, 06:36 AM
Thaumaturge

Registration Date: May 2003

Thanks Given to Others: 992
Thanked 1,943 Times in 1,045 Posts
Karma Power: 488
howste is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.howste is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.howste is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.howste is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
howste is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.howste is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.howste is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.howste is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.howste is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.howste is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.howste is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.howste is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.howste is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.howste is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.howste is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.howste is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.howste is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.howste is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.howste is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Re: ISO 9001 Company Quality Objectives and Targets - Communication to Employees

In my opinion, the best way to communicate the objectives is to report the results of the process metrics regularly to employees. It sounds like you already have that in place. I'd also suggest that you have locations (such as bulletin boards) throughout the organization to post charts showing trends of the process metrics.

In another post I've attached a tool I use to establish the relationships between the policy, objectives, process metrics, and targets. Something similar to this can be used to explain the relationships, and can be posted along with the process metrics. Example Quality Policy - Objectives2.doc
Thank You to howste for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Sponsored Links

Old 23rd September 2009, 07:58 AM
Always learning

Registration Date: Jun 2008

Thanks Given to Others: 100
Karma Power: 47
Peter West is appreciated, and has over 1300 Karma points.Peter West is appreciated, and has over 1300 Karma points.Peter West is appreciated, and has over 1300 Karma points.Peter West is appreciated, and has over 1300 Karma points.Peter West is appreciated, and has over 1300 Karma points.Peter West is appreciated, and has over 1300 Karma points.Peter West is appreciated, and has over 1300 Karma points.Peter West is appreciated, and has over 1300 Karma points.Peter West is appreciated, and has over 1300 Karma points.Peter West is appreciated, and has over 1300 Karma points.
Re: ISO 9001 Company Quality Objectives and Targets - Communication to Employees

Thanks for that. We have similar systems in place but yours goes the extra step of demonstrating the correlation between all headings so is clearer from a quality aspect.

As far as "launching" new objectives - would you think simply mentioning them at staff meetings and including them on bulletin boards is sufficient? That method would, at least for now, reach all members of staff in the Middle East.

Thanks again

"One often meets his destiny on the road he takes to avoid it"
Old 23rd September 2009, 11:58 AM
Thaumaturge

Registration Date: May 2003

Thanks Given to Others: 992
Thanked 1,943 Times in 1,045 Posts
Karma Power: 488
howste is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.howste is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.howste is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.howste is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
howste is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.howste is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.howste is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.howste is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.howste is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.howste is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.howste is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.howste is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.howste is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.howste is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.howste is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.howste is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.howste is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.howste is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.howste is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Peter West View Post

As far as "launching" new objectives - would you think simply mentioning them at staff meetings and including them on bulletin boards is sufficient? That method would, at least for now, reach all members of staff in the Middle East.
I think that should do it.
Old 23rd September 2009, 12:12 PM
Not out of the crisis

Registration Date: Apr 2006

Thanks Given to Others: 173
Karma Power: 292
ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.

Mine is set up almost exactly like Steve's - it shows a "flow" from QP to individual KPI goals.

In fact I'm doing training today with department managers on how to develop their own KPI's in order to get full ownership at that level.

After all Goals are set, I will do a training session for all employees to communicate them, and then post them in various strategic locations.

Time for a new sig line.
My LinkedIn Profile
Old 23rd September 2009, 03:49 PM
Appreciated Member

Registration Date: Jul 2008

Thanks Given to Others: 634
Karma Power: 59
Hodgepodge is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Hodgepodge is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Hodgepodge is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Hodgepodge is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Hodgepodge is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Hodgepodge is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Hodgepodge is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Hodgepodge is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.

Quote:

As far as "launching" new objectives - would you think simply mentioning them at staff meetings and including them on bulletin boards is sufficient?
Your “organization shall ensure that its personnel are aware of the relevance and importance of their activities and how they contribute to the achievement of the quality objectives” ISO 9001:2008.

If the objectives require things/processes to be done differently, some form of training would be required. It may be as simple as telling those affected that they need to write down some extra information or as complex as an entire process change. Communication to all affected employees with a description of how each employee and/or action helps the company to achieve the objective should be done in the simplest manner. This may take more than a posting on a bulletin board, but maybe not.

Quote:

We have a quality policy which lists out very general "quality" objectives, however in my eyes (and an external auditor) these are measured through satisfaction of separate business targets. As far as the average Joe in the company is concerned the only targets they are aware of are business ones, and thus when asked by an external auditor - what are the company quality objectives and targets? - they cannot provide a decent answer.

I am creating a QMS for our Middle East offices and want to ensure any such ambiguity is eliminated and set additional, lower level (i.e. all staff are aware of them) targets that are specifically relevant to quality.
It sounds to me that your quality policy’s “generic” objectives are more like core goals or a base for establishing focused quality objectives. They should point to measures or key indicators. Hopefully you consulted with process owners and managers prior to determining any specific objectives and methods for achieving them. After all, they have intimate knowledge of the current process. With their input up front, they may be more likely to buy in. Also, the more “generic” the objectives are, the more generic and lackluster the response of the workforce.

Quality objectives should be initiated by process managers. They may need some prodding and a little direction in how to decide on their objectives and how to measure them. That prodding (or training) would come from you. You can be the catalyst. You facilitate the creation and implementation of the quality objectives. If you are thinking about creating the objectives for them, you might have a hard time getting results or even get resistance. I would like to note that there is no requirement as to who shall create the quality objectives. However, to get the best results, those with intimate knowledge of the why’s, how’s, and where’s of a process are likely to offer the best advice for improvement. Give them the tools (5S, Kaizen Events, corrective action, etc.), train them in improvement techniques and your core goals, and see what they can come up with.

Quote:

I already have the procedures in place so that these objectives will be measurable but wondered the best way to make these official?
Perhaps you can use these procedures to train your process managers how to create and measure their objectives. Have them run their ideas by you. You can make sure they will be measured correctly and make sure they relate to your company’s core quality goals. Then use your procedure and internal quality audits to analyze the data and monitor their progress.

None of the secrets of success will work unless you do. - Fortune Cookie

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > ISO (International Organization for Standardization) Standards > ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 - Quality Management Systems > ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 - Questions and Discussions

Do you find this discussion thread helpful and informational?