The Elsmar Cove Wiki More Free Files The Elsmar Cove Forums Discussion Thread Index Post Attachments Listing Failure Modes Services and Solutions to Problems Elsmar cove Forums Main Page Elsmar Cove Home Page
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > ISO (International Organization for Standardization) Standards > ISO 19011 - Quality and Environmental Management Systems Auditing > ISO 19011 *and* ALL other Auditing Discussions
Forum Username

Search the Elsmar Cove
Custom Search
Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Follow Marc & Elsmar
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed  Marc Smith's Google+ Page  Marc Smith's Linked In Page   Marc Smith's Elsmar Cove YouTube Page  Marc Smith's Facebook Page  Elsmar Cove Twitter Feed
Elsmar Cove Groups
Elsmar Cove Google+ Group  Elsmar Cove LinkedIn Group  Elsmar Cove Facebook Group
Sponsor Links

Donate and $ Contributor Forum Access
Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

Howard's
International Quality Services
Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting
Bob Doering's
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook
IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors
SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers
Quality Digest Portal
IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology
ASQ - American Society for Quality

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
Old 15th October 2009, 03:29 PM
Involved in Discussions

Registration Date: May 2008

Thanks Given to Others: 23
Karma Power: 29
brandomenon is appreciated, and has over 100 Karma points.brandomenon is appreciated, and has over 100 Karma points.
Please Help! External Auditor Confidentiality Agreement

I have searched the forums trying to find if this has been covered before. I apologize if this is a re-thread.

We have very few customer audits, but there is one scheduled for next week. Because of the lack of customer auditor traffic through my door, I don't have a standardized form for auditors to sign to protect confidentiality and to define responsibilities and limitations during the audit.

Is this something that most people have in place? Does anyone have a sample agreement or portions that they would be willing to share?

Brandomenon

Sponsored Links
Old 15th October 2009, 03:36 PM
Super Moderator

Registration Date: Jun 1999

Thanks Given to Others: 48
Thanked 2,658 Times in 1,631 Posts
Karma Power: 916
Randy is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Randy is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Randy is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Randy is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Randy is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Randy is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Randy is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Randy is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Randy is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Randy is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Randy is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Randy is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Randy is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Send a message via Skype™ to Randy
Re: External Auditor Confidentiality Agreement

Let me ask....What do you really expect to get from a piece of paper other than a warm fuzzy?

We who have seen war, will never stop seeing it. In the silence of the night, we will always hear the screams. Joe Galloway
Sponsored Links

Old 15th October 2009, 04:05 PM
Post Responsibly

Registration Date: Oct 2001

Thanks Given to Others: 1,652
Thanked 4,959 Times in 2,563 Posts
Karma Power: 909
Sidney Vianna is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Sidney Vianna is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Sidney Vianna is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Sidney Vianna is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Sidney Vianna is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Sidney Vianna is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Sidney Vianna is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Sidney Vianna is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by brandomenon View Post

We have very few customer audits, but there is one scheduled for next week. Because of the lack of customer auditor traffic through my door, I don't have a standardized form for auditors to sign to protect confidentiality and to define responsibilities and limitations during the audit.
I don't have one to share, but would like to offer a "what if" question.

What if you present the customer auditor with a confidentiality agreement as s/he shows up at your door and s/he says s/he won't sign it, before legal reviews it. Will you prohibit the auditor from performing the audit?

This needs to be discussed and resolved before the auditor shows up. Otherwise, you can have one seriously pissed customer rep.

Sustainable conformity assessment must add value to all stakeholders
Thanks to Sidney Vianna for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Old 15th October 2009, 04:47 PM
Involved in Discussions

Registration Date: May 2008

Thanks Given to Others: 23
Karma Power: 29
brandomenon is appreciated, and has over 100 Karma points.brandomenon is appreciated, and has over 100 Karma points.

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Sidney Vianna View Post

I don't have one to share, but would like to offer a "what if" question.

What if you present the customer auditor with a confidentiality agreement as s/he shows up at your door and s/he says s/he won't sign it, before legal reviews it. Will you prohibit the auditor from performing the audit?

This needs to be discussed and resolved before the auditor shows up. Otherwise, you can have one seriously pissed customer rep.
I agree that it will cause problems if it is a surprise on audit day. I will get it to the auditor before, so at the very least they will have some idea of things I'm not going to let them do while they are here, plus the expectation that shared information during the audit needs to be kept confidential between the customer and supplier.

If they really don't want to sign it, I wouldn't force them to, but it might limit what they can see. This isn't meant for malice, just to communicate between our company and the incoming audit team that there may be sensitive information involved during the audit process and that we have the right to protect that information.

If this is not common, as both of the replies so far indicate, then I may not bother. I appreciate the input and the follow-up questions.
Old 15th October 2009, 04:59 PM
Post Responsibly

Registration Date: Oct 2001

Thanks Given to Others: 1,652
Thanked 4,959 Times in 2,563 Posts
Karma Power: 909
Sidney Vianna is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Sidney Vianna is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Sidney Vianna is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Sidney Vianna is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Sidney Vianna is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Sidney Vianna is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Sidney Vianna is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Sidney Vianna is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by brandomenon View Post

If this is not common, as both of the replies so far indicate, then I may not bother. I appreciate the input and the follow-up questions.
Restricting access of customer auditors is somewhat typical in business. Check the Automotive Customer Audit with 'Improvements' thread.

If I were a customer auditor and a supplier allowed unrestricted access to all the information about other customer products, especially competitors', I would be VERY concerned that they would also be allowing my competitors to see sensitive information of my products.

Sustainable conformity assessment must add value to all stakeholders
Old 16th October 2009, 02:41 AM
Consultant / Auditor

Registration Date: Feb 2006

Thanks Given to Others: 1,392
Thanked 1,770 Times in 1,154 Posts
Karma Power: 408
JaneB is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.JaneB is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.JaneB is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
JaneB is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.JaneB is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.JaneB is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.JaneB is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.JaneB is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.JaneB is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.JaneB is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.JaneB is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.JaneB is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.JaneB is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.JaneB is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.JaneB is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.JaneB is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.JaneB is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.JaneB is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.

I agree with your logic, brandomenon, and think it's sound.

If they're customers or suppliers (ie, not third-party auditors) then the relationship between you should I think be subject to a few defined principles and guidelines. Apart from anything else, it gives you early warning if they and you aren't on the same page!

And yes, restricting access to what you will show them and what you won't is quite normal.

For most of history, Anonymous was a woman. - Virginia Woolf
Thanks to JaneB for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Old 16th October 2009, 05:02 AM
Involved in Discussions

Registration Date: Mar 2009

Thanks Given to Others: 68
Karma Power: 36
JoCam is appreciated, and has over 900 Karma points.JoCam is appreciated, and has over 900 Karma points.JoCam is appreciated, and has over 900 Karma points.JoCam is appreciated, and has over 900 Karma points.JoCam is appreciated, and has over 900 Karma points.JoCam is appreciated, and has over 900 Karma points.JoCam is appreciated, and has over 900 Karma points.JoCam is appreciated, and has over 900 Karma points.

Hi Brandomenon,

We use a Non Disclosure Agreement for all Customers wishing to audit and Suppliers of our custom made components, I've attached a copy for your perusal. You can include details of Customers restrictions during the audit in the information section at the beginning.

This NDA should be sent and returned signed prior to allowing the Auditor on site.

Please note that this is written to English Law, and that if you were to use this example you will need to seek advice about the corresponding Canadian Law.

Hope it helps,

Jo
Attached Files: 1. Scan for viruses before using, 2. Please report any 'bad' files by Reporting this post, 3. Use at your Own Risk.
File Type: doc NDA.doc (37.5 KB, 119 views)
Thanks to JoCam for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Old 16th October 2009, 07:20 PM
Consultant / Auditor

Registration Date: Feb 2006

Thanks Given to Others: 1,392
Thanked 1,770 Times in 1,154 Posts
Karma Power: 408
JaneB is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.JaneB is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.JaneB is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
JaneB is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.JaneB is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.JaneB is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.JaneB is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.JaneB is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.JaneB is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.JaneB is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.JaneB is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.JaneB is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.JaneB is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.JaneB is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.JaneB is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.JaneB is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.JaneB is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.JaneB is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.

I've seen examples of and signed stuff like this on various occasions. The one JoCam's posted (thanks!) of course is drawn up by a lawyer. If that isn't required - or you don't have time/resources - I'd write your own plain English one that captures what you want to say & have agreement on.

For most of history, Anonymous was a woman. - Virginia Woolf

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > ISO (International Organization for Standardization) Standards > ISO 19011 - Quality and Environmental Management Systems Auditing > ISO 19011 *and* ALL other Auditing Discussions

Do you find this discussion thread helpful and informational?