The Elsmar Cove Wiki More Free Files The Elsmar Cove Forums Discussion Thread Index Post Attachments Listing Failure Modes Services and Solutions to Problems Elsmar cove Forums Main Page Elsmar Cove Home Page
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > ISO (International Organization for Standardization) Standards > ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 - Quality Management Systems > ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 - Questions and Discussions
Forum Username

Search the Elsmar Cove
Custom Search
Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Follow Marc & Elsmar
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed  Marc Smith's Google+ Page  Marc Smith's Linked In Page   Marc Smith's Elsmar Cove YouTube Page  Marc Smith's Facebook Page  Elsmar Cove Twitter Feed
Elsmar Cove Groups
Elsmar Cove Google+ Group  Elsmar Cove LinkedIn Group  Elsmar Cove Facebook Group
Sponsor Links

Donate and $ Contributor Forum Access
Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

Howard's
International Quality Services
Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting
Bob Doering's
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook
IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors
SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers
Quality Digest Portal
IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology
ASQ - American Society for Quality

Related Topic Tags
measurement and monitoring and test devices, calibration (general topics)

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
Old 3rd December 2009, 02:48 PM
Involved in Discussions

Registration Date: Jun 2009

Thanks Given to Others: 40
Karma Power: 23
dtr18c has less than 100 Karma points so far.
Please Help! For Reference Only or Calibration/Verification - Tape Measures for cutting bar stock

I got this from Calibration of Tape Measures
Quote:
Are the tapes used to "determine acceptance of the product" for movement to the next function area or for shipment?
If not, label them as "reference tools" (assuming that you have some other method of measuring/testing the product for conformance to specification. If they are, I believe that you may be in a pinch. Tape measures are subject to so much regular abuse, malformation, and other circumstances that would impact their accuracy (to some tolerances) --> you might find yourself hard pressed to keep them calibrated (or spend a ton of time rechecking them).
We cut barstock into lengths +/-0.5" for lathe operations with automatic bar feeders. This cut length doesn't affect final product characteristics. I'm unsure of having our tapes say reference only or having tape calibration/verification requirements. Thoughts?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 3rd December 2009, 02:56 PM
Where's the shall?

Registration Date: Jul 2001

Thanks Given to Others: 432
Karma Power: 318
db is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
db is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.db is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.db is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.db is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.db is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.db is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.db is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.db is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.db is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.db is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.db is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.db is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.db is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Re: For Reference Only or Calibration/Verification

Go back to the standard. Are the tapes used in a manner that requires valid results? If so, then 7.6 applies. Checking tape measures is actually quite easy. Have a fixture calibrated at a given lenght. Then each time employees clock in, have them check their tapes against the fixture. One of my clients has a bar that has an 11" scribe mark. This mark is verified every other year. It is attached to a wall. When the operators verify their tapes, the acceptance criteria is that if any part of the scribe touches any part of the 11" mark on the tape, it is considered to be acceptable.

I strongly advise against having gages (or documents) "For Reference Only"

Dave B (the other Dave)
Thanks to db for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Sponsored Links

Old 3rd December 2009, 03:04 PM
Forum Moderator

Registration Date: Feb 2005

Thanks Given to Others: 4,312
Thanked 3,199 Times in 2,177 Posts
Karma Power: 833
AndyN is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.AndyN is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.AndyN is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
AndyN is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.AndyN is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.AndyN is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.AndyN is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Send a message via Skype™ to AndyN
Thumbs up Re: For Reference Only or Calibration/Verification

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by db View Post

Go back to the standard. Are the tapes used in a manner that requires valid results? If so, then 7.6 applies. Checking tape measures is actually quite easy. Have a fixture calibrated at a given lenght. Then each time employees clock in, have them check their tapes against the fixture. One of my clients has a bar that has an 11" scribe mark. This mark is verified every other year. It is attached to a wall. When the operators verify their tapes, the acceptance criteria is that if any part of the scribe touches any part of the 11" mark on the tape, it is considered to be acceptable.

Well said, Dave!

'Cause you know sometimes words have two meanings.....
Old 3rd December 2009, 05:25 PM
Involved in Discussions

Registration Date: Oct 2007

Thanks Given to Others: 50
Karma Power: 34
ab001 is appreciated, and has over 100 Karma points.ab001 is appreciated, and has over 100 Karma points.
Re: For Reference Only or Calibration/Verification - Tape Measures for cutting bar st

If you can't trust your tape to give you a one inch range, there's probably bigger problems with the tape - trust one that's still in the packet.

if there's a problem with the stock length - focus on the auto feeder instead of the tape measures

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by dtr18c View Post

We cut barstock into lengths +/-0.5" for lathe operations with automatic bar feeders. This cut length doesn't affect final product characteristics. I'm unsure of having our tapes say reference only or having tape calibration/verification requirements. Thoughts?

Thanks.
Old 3rd December 2009, 07:39 PM
Forum Administrator

Registration Date: Sep 2006

Thanks Given to Others: 1,385
Thanked 1,912 Times in 1,296 Posts
Karma Power: 400
BradM is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
BradM is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.BradM is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.BradM is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.BradM is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.BradM is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.BradM is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.BradM is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.BradM is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.BradM is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.BradM is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.BradM is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.BradM is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.BradM is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.

Quote:

Quote:

I concur about not having For Reference Only on instruments, if all the instruments in the facility are verified. If you have some that are verified and some that are not, there needs to be a means of segregation. Adequate labeling can serve that purpose.

Now, 75 years later in an abundant society where people have laptops, cell phones, iPods and minds like empty rooms, I still plod along with books. ”
—Harper Lee
Old 3rd December 2009, 08:07 PM
Think for a change!

Registration Date: Nov 2009

Thanks Given to Others: 211
Karma Power: 100
DrM2u is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.DrM2u is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.DrM2u is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.DrM2u is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.DrM2u is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.DrM2u is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.DrM2u is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.DrM2u is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.DrM2u is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.DrM2u is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.DrM2u is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.DrM2u is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.DrM2u is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Send a message via Yahoo to DrM2u
Re: For Reference Only or Calibration/Verification - Tape Measures for cutting bar st

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by dtr18c View Post

Thanks.
Here's my worth:

It is up to you to define the calibration interval for inspection equipment but keep in mind that the frequency must be adequate to ensure equipment's suitability and reliability (or something along these lines). You can state (verbaly or in writing) that measuring tapes are purchased certified (not calibrated) by the manufacturer (and some OEMs like Starrett do certify them) and used until they are damaged, after which they are replaced. The responsibility for assessing the state of a tape and requesting a replacement could/should be delegated to the user. However you would need to keep records of when the tapes were placed in and removed from service (and a certification document from the OEM for any tape in use) to evidence the verification of the equipment.

Let's use some common sense on this. You are talking about 1/2" tolerance on them bars. What is the impact of the bars being shorter by more than 1/2"? You lose enought material for a part?!? What is the value of a part (or a few more until you detect the problem) and can you financially justify an expansive and expensive calibration system for tapes? Or what is the impact of the bar being longer that 1/2 "? It cannot be more than 1" because that would imply that the tape's bar/hook/tongue is bent straight or broken, which renderd the tape unusable. You can use my argument to challenge any auditor who would write a finding on this. What is the value they are bringing to the audit process?!?
Thanks to DrM2u for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Old 3rd December 2009, 10:20 PM
Auditor / Consultant

Registration Date: Aug 2005

Thanks Given to Others: 513
Thanked 1,114 Times in 755 Posts
Karma Power: 469
Helmut Jilling is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Helmut Jilling is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Helmut Jilling is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Helmut Jilling is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Helmut Jilling is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Helmut Jilling is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Helmut Jilling is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Helmut Jilling is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Helmut Jilling is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Helmut Jilling is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Helmut Jilling is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Helmut Jilling is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Helmut Jilling is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Helmut Jilling is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Helmut Jilling is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Helmut Jilling is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by DrM2u View Post

Here's my worth:

...Let's use some common sense on this. ...What is the value of a part (or a few more until you detect the problem) ..and can you financially justify an expansive and expensive calibration system for tapes? ...You can use my argument to challenge any auditor who would write a finding on this. What is the value they are bringing to the audit process?!?
Why does it have to be expensive at all? Buy a $10 tape measure, verify it once (against a calibrated 36" master steel rule) before use to make sure it is correct. Then, periodically determine the condition is still good. I agree this is not NASA and does not have to be complicated. But, it can be done so easily... And the same principles can be applied to many other gages...THAT is the value that an auditor can "bring to the audit process..."

Relentlessly Pursue Excellence!
Thank You to Helmut Jilling for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Old 4th December 2009, 12:10 PM
Involved in Discussions

Registration Date: Oct 2009

Thanks Given to Others: 120
Karma Power: 49
John Martinez is appreciated, and has over 400 Karma points.John Martinez is appreciated, and has over 400 Karma points.John Martinez is appreciated, and has over 400 Karma points.John Martinez is appreciated, and has over 400 Karma points.John Martinez is appreciated, and has over 400 Karma points.

Quote:

I'd like to see the term "for reference only" removed from the quality profession.
Thank You to John Martinez for your informative Post and/or Attachment!

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > ISO (International Organization for Standardization) Standards > ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 - Quality Management Systems > ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 - Questions and Discussions

Do you find this discussion thread helpful and informational?