The Elsmar Cove Wiki More Free Files The Elsmar Cove Forums Discussion Thread Index Post Attachments Listing Failure Modes Services and Solutions to Problems Elsmar cove Forums Main Page Elsmar Cove Home Page
Miner's MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) Blog 
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Quality Manager Issues > Quality Management Related Issues
Forum Username

Wooden Line

Quality Management in the Company Organization Structure

Wooden Line
Search the Elsmar Cove
Search Elsmar
Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Follow Marc & Elsmar
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed  Marc Smith's Google+ Page  Marc Smith's Linked In Page   Marc Smith's Elsmar Cove YouTube Page  Marc Smith's Facebook Page  Elsmar Cove Twitter Feed
Elsmar Cove Groups
Elsmar Cove Google+ Group  Elsmar Cove LinkedIn Group  Elsmar Cove Facebook Group
Donate and $ Contributor Forum Access
Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

Howard's
International Quality Services
Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting
Bob Doering's
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook
IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors
SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers
Quality Digest Portal
IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology
ASQ - American Society for Quality

Related Topic Tags
company organization, organization structure, organizational roles, quality assurance (qa), quality management systems

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
Old 7th June 2010, 03:08 AM
Dubh12000

Please Help! Quality Management in the Company Organization Structure

Dear all, I am trying to put together some watertight reasoning behind my assertion that Quality should be a stand alone function in a certain company's organogram, and should not fall in under the Production Manager / Engineering Manager etc scope. This is the way I have always seen it done, and insisted on by various auditors etc. To me it makes perfect sense not to have Quality conflicting with any other production related pressures within an organisation, but I would be very grateful if someone could point out specific clauses in any standards that I can use to back up my assertions.

I apologise in advance......I'm generally an R&D guy, so I am not exactly familiar with Quality Management

Sponsored Links
Old 7th June 2010, 03:35 AM
Chennaiite

Re: Quality Management in the Company Structure

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Dubh12000 View Post

Dear all, I am trying to put together some watertight reasoning behind my assertion that Quality should be a stand alone function in a certain company's organogram, and should not fall in under the Production Manager / Engineering Manager etc scope. This is the way I have always seen it done, and insisted on by various auditors etc. To me it makes perfect sense not to have Quality conflicting with any other production related pressures within an organisation, but I would be very grateful if someone could point out specific clauses in any standards that I can use to back up my assertions.

I apologise in advance......I'm generally an R&D guy, so I am not exactly familiar with Quality Management
As long as the Organization complies with 5.1 Management Commitment, I dont see any reason why Quality function cannot be a part of different function such as Production/Engineering.
Sponsored Links

Old 7th June 2010, 04:18 AM
somashekar

Re: Quality Management in the Company Structure

First, is that the QMS standard goes by the processes and not by functional departments and hence no clause will direct you with any backup that you wish to have ...
Second, can you help us by listing out all your watertight reasoning why quality should be a stand alone function in a certain company's organogram, and should not fall in under the Production Manager / Engineering Manager etc scope.
Third, you say " insisted on by various auditors etc."
I am surprised if so insisted by a qualified leads auditor of ISO 9001 ...???
I do agree it makes sense to have quality as a standalone function, but not a necessity. What are the reasons against this as felt by the management ... ? Do care to list this as well to our understanding.
Old 7th June 2010, 11:29 AM
Sidney Vianna

Re: Quality Management in the Company Organization Structure

Quote:

Many have written about the future of the quality profession and the quality function. In my opinion, for the ENLIGHTENED organization, there should not be any separate quality department in the structure of the company.

Why, one may ask.

For the same reason most organizations don't have a Business Ethics Assurance Department, I would say. You see, quality, just as business ethics is supposed to be part of every transaction, embraced by all in the organization. As long as a misinformed organization believes that a "stand-alone" department can assure and promote quality, they won't have understood what quality is all about.

A Quality manager, director, VP, etc... with direct line to the organization's chief officer is no guarantee of anything. Rather than focusing on the organization chart, one should focus on the organization culture towards quality.
Thank You to Sidney Vianna for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Old 7th June 2010, 11:37 AM
somashekar

Just an other thought ... Can you get the engineering to be within the Quality manager responsibility ? How do you think your company will react to this ..
Old 7th June 2010, 01:30 PM
Dubh12000

I have to be honest here, I've seen this stated at two separate companies - but never from an auditor associated with a regulatory body (ISO / FAA / NADCAP etc), it was always a concern from the customer audits.

In a sense, I guess I have to agree with Sidney's view on this
Old 7th June 2010, 01:41 PM
Coury Ferguson

Quote:

I have to be honest here, I've seen this stated at two separate companies - but never from an auditor associated with a regulatory body (ISO / FAA / NADCAP etc), it was always a concern from the customer audits.

In a sense, I guess I have to agree with Sidney's view on this
Sidney's view is "new" school. "Old" school taught, that they must separate entities, and the person in charge of Quality, had to report outside of manufacturing's control.

Last edited by Coury Ferguson; 7th June 2010 at 03:31 PM.

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Quality Manager Issues > Quality Management Related Issues

Do you find this discussion thread helpful and informational?