Elsmar Cove Forum Header Graphic The Elsmar Cove Wiki Sitemap More Free Files The Elsmar Cove Forums Discussion Thread Index Post Attachments Listing Failure Modes Services and Solutions to Problems Elsmar Cove Forums Main Page Elsmar Cove Home Page
NQA-USA
NQA-USA
Miner's MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) Blog 
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > ISO (International Organization for Standardization) Standards > ISO/TS 16949 - International Automotive Quality Systems Standard
Forum Username

Wooden Line

Helping rewrite the Quality Manual and Procedures - Hints wanted

Search the Elsmar Cove
Search Elsmar
Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Follow Marc & Elsmar
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed  Marc Smith's Google+ Page  Marc Smith's Linked In Page   Marc Smith's Elsmar Cove YouTube Page  Marc Smith's Facebook Page  Elsmar Cove Twitter Feed
Elsmar Cove Groups
Elsmar Cove Google+ Group  Elsmar Cove LinkedIn Group  Elsmar Cove Facebook Group
Donate and $ Contributor Forum Access
Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

Howard's
International Quality Services
Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting
Bob Doering's
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook
IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors
SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers
Quality Digest Portal
IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology
ASQ - American Society for Quality

Related Topic Tags
quality manuals - structure contents and examples, documents and documentation (general), procedures (general)

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
  Post Number #1  
Old 7th June 2010, 10:07 PM
dmbickham

Total Posts: 2
Listen To Me! Helping rewrite the Quality Manual and Procedures - Hints wanted

Hi, Okay I am helping rewrite the Quality Manual and Procedures and don;t have any experience in writing these. Is there any newbie info I can access. Any help would be great!

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #2  
Old 8th June 2010, 04:51 AM
Claes Gefvenberg

Total Posts: 4,855
Lightbulb Re: Helping rewrite the Quality Manual and Procedures - Hints wanted

Welcome to the Cove dmbickham, I copied your post in the New Folks - Please Take a Minute & Introduce Yourself/Say Hello! (2009-2010) thread and put it here, in the hope of attracting more answers to your query (I am assuming that you are talking about an ISO 9001 based system - If not, let us know and we will move it again).

Now... Could you tell us a bit about your task and what the manual and procedures currently look like? What local support do you have?

/Claes
Sponsored Links

Post Number #3  
Old 8th June 2010, 05:44 AM
Marc

Total Posts: 24,472
Re: Helping rewrite the Quality Manual and Procedures - Hints wanted

As a starter, there is an entire forum here dedicated to Quality Manual discussions which you might want to look through: ISO 10013 - Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals forum

For some procedure related discussion threads, here's a bit of a listing of existing related discussion threads: Procedure related discussion threads.

You can also find sample files here: Post File Attachments listing
Thanks to Marc for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #4  
Old 8th June 2010, 09:51 AM
John Broomfield

Total Posts: 2,132
Yin Yang Re: Helping rewrite the Quality Manual and Procedures - Hints wanted

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by dmbickham View Post

Hi, Okay I am helping rewrite the Quality Manual and Procedures and don;t have any experience in writing these. Is there any newbie info I can access. Any help would be great!

A few tips:

Describe the management system and how it works to assure quality and improve quality. Use the present tense (avoid shall - just report what is). Write it for employees not for auditors. Keep the parts that change more frequently in the back as enclosures under their own revision control. Try the tri-fold (or similar) brochure approach with pictures of people enjoying their work and using their system. Do not rewrite the standard(s).
Thanks to John Broomfield for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #5  
Old 10th June 2010, 03:58 PM
dmbickham

Total Posts: 2
Question Re: Helping rewrite the Quality Manual and Procedures - Hints wanted

Thank you for your support, I am working for a manufacturing company that currently has ISO/TS 16949 certification, but is looking to go to medical also. I have been given procedures that were written 10 years ago and am trying to fix some issues. I have no experience with ISO cert's at all and may be pulling my hair out...LOL

I don't want to seem pushy but the procedures here seem more like work instructions combined. I thought the procedures explained how the company manages a section. not the details of "how" to do it.

Plz let me know if I am way off.

any help is great
Dawn
  Post Number #6  
Old 10th June 2010, 04:17 PM
Claes Gefvenberg

Total Posts: 4,855
Laughing Re: Helping rewrite the Quality Manual and Procedures - Hints wanted

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by dmbickham View Post

I am working for a manufacturing company that currently has ISO/TS 16949 certification
Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Claes Gefvenberg View Post

I am assuming that you are talking about an ISO 9001 based system - If not, let us know and we will move it again.
Ouch... My assumption was wrong, then. Ok, I'm moving it on to the ISO/TS 16949 forum. Oh, and don't pull your hair out, you may miss it when it's gone.

/Claes
  Post Number #7  
Old 10th June 2010, 04:48 PM
Brizilla

Total Posts: 191

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by John Broomfield View Post

A few tips:

Describe the management system and how it works to assure quality and improve quality. Use the present tense (avoid shall - just report what is). Write it for employees not for auditors. Keep the parts that change more frequently in the back as enclosures under their own revision control. Try the tri-fold (or similar) brochure approach with pictures of people enjoying their work and using their system. Do not rewrite the standard(s).
Also, I like to write it for our customers. I like to fancy mine up a little bit, add colors, a history of the company, pictures of the building and add some pictures of the manufacturing process. After it's done I PDF it and put it on our website to use as a downloadable selling tool and for all those people who request a copy you just politely tell them it's available for download on your website.
  Post Number #8  
Old 10th June 2010, 04:58 PM
Nort1

Total Posts: 12

Good Luck
Be more careful how you want to approach this project due to the 'Medical' hint.

My 2cents are as follows:
Use ISO13485:2003 as guideline.
Map the company flow, who is doing what and how this is communicated.
Establish a 4-Tier documentation system (I used this approach several times successfully)
Tier 1 QSM
Tier 2 Procedures (Describing "What" needs to be done)
To make auditing easier, use the section out of the standard as your document numbers - if possible. (Can be up to 30 to 40 documents)
Tier 3 Work-Instructions (Describing "How" it is done)
Tier 4 Forms / Templates

When you review the existing documents, verify that the processes are still valid.
Maybe this can get you started.

Norbert.
PS. Keep your hair.

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > ISO (International Organization for Standardization) Standards > ISO/TS 16949 - International Automotive Quality Systems Standard

Do you find this discussion thread helpful and informational?