Elsmar Cove Forum Header Graphic The Elsmar Cove Wiki More Free Files The Elsmar Cove Forums Discussion Thread Index Post Attachments Listing Failure Modes Services and Solutions to Problems Elsmar cove Forums Main Page Elsmar Cove Home Page
Miner's MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) Blog 
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > ISO (International Organization for Standardization) Standards > ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 - Quality Management Systems > ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 - Questions and Discussions
Forum Username

Wooden Line

Objectives, Targets and Programs (OTP)

Wooden Line
Search the Elsmar Cove
Search Elsmar
Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Follow Marc & Elsmar
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed  Marc Smith's Google+ Page  Marc Smith's Linked In Page   Marc Smith's Elsmar Cove YouTube Page  Marc Smith's Facebook Page  Elsmar Cove Twitter Feed
Elsmar Cove Groups
Elsmar Cove Google+ Group  Elsmar Cove LinkedIn Group  Elsmar Cove Facebook Group
Donate and $ Contributor Forum Access
Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

Howard's
International Quality Services
Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting
Bob Doering's
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook
IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors
SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers
Quality Digest Portal
IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology
ASQ - American Society for Quality

Related Topic Tags
consultants and consulting, engineering company, objectives (quality environmental and other measureables), targets (aka objectives)

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
Old 17th June 2010, 11:15 AM
Onayt

Please Help! Objectives, Targets and Programs (OTP)

Hi everyone,

I am Onayt and one of the newest members of this forum. I am the QA Manager of our firm (an Engineering Consulting company). I am so glad to have found this one...i really think this will help me and my company as well in our quest for ISO 9001:2008 certification.

Anyway, my concern is the development of Office/Department OTPs. We have just recently approved our Company-wide OTP, however, we are having a hard time in developing the Department OTPs (due to lack of focus of some department managers and somehow, the lack of understanding on how OTPs should be developed).

I am seeking for good advice from you, experts..many thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 17th June 2010, 11:29 AM
qusys

Re: Objectives, Targets and Programs

Rather than speaking about Department, I would suggest to focus on your processes.
You shall identify the processed for your Quality Management System, showing the interaction among them and document them.
You shall identify key performance measurement for them so that you can understand if your programm of continuous improvement is ok or not, based upon your quality objective and business plan.

In my understanding objective are the goal you establish for your processes, target the line of measurement to achieve them and programs are related to what you do and resources utilized to reach them.
Thanks to qusys for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Sponsored Links

Old 17th June 2010, 06:48 PM
Onayt

This is very helpful thanks...however, we are being asked to come up with OTPs for each department which are of course based on the company-wide OTPs...I observed that our managers are having difficulty in the alignment of their drafted OTPs with that of the company's...not to mention that programs made were not measurable, hence impossible to monitor...
Old 17th June 2010, 06:58 PM
Jim Wynne

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Onayt View Post

This is very helpful thanks...however, we are being asked to come up with OTPs for each department which are of course based on the company-wide OTPs...I observed that our managers are having difficulty in the alignment of their drafted OTPs with that of the company's...not to mention that programs made were not measurable, hence impossible to monitor...
What's the difference between "objective," "target" and "program"?

This really shouldn't be very difficult. Someone at or near the top of the organization has to determine what people are doing for a living, and then determine whether or not they're doing it, and how it might be done better and more efficiently. Whenever someone has a problem with objectives, it's because they don't understand what's required. Unless you have the authority to determine what's required, whatever you do at your level is likely to do more harm than good. If your people are having trouble aligning local objectives with the global ones, it's likely that there's something wrong with the global objectives.
Old 18th June 2010, 01:00 AM
Onayt

Re: Objectives, Targets and Programs (OTP)

Good point Jim...i think there's something wrong with the overall objectives...we have to revisit these as soon as possible
Old 18th June 2010, 07:30 AM
qusys

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Onayt View Post

Good point Jim...i think there's something wrong with the overall objectives...we have to revisit these as soon as possible
My suggestion is to use 3 main indicators to measure: time, cost and quality and those could be also usefull to create the link to the objectives ang goal.
usually a goal is: SMART stand stands for Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic, Timely.To set a goal you could be able to responde to the six W: Who, WHat, Where, Whan, Which, Why.
To better deploy objective a method should be used, for example, QFD ( Quality Function Deployment)
Old 18th June 2010, 11:30 AM
Randy

Quote:
What's the difference between "objective," "target" and "program"?
Really? You don't know the difference? Pity.

Objective = performance goal

Target = detailed performance level

Program = planning arrangements to achieve objectives & targets
Old 18th June 2010, 01:14 PM
Jim Wynne

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Randy View Post

Really? You don't know the difference? Pity.

Objective = performance goal

Target = detailed performance level

Program = planning arrangements to achieve objectives & targets
Pity?
It's a good thing I wasn't relying on you for the definitions. This is an ISO 9001 question, and ISO 9005:2005 defines "quality objective" as "something sought, or aimed for, related to quality." There is no definition there for "target," but I'm pretty sure that a target is usually something "aimed for." This means that there is no significant difference between the two terms, and trying to give them different meanings will only confuse things.

As far as "program" is concerned, your definition is probably as good as any, but there's no normative definition, so it's a good idea to have people define their terms before you try to offer help.

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > ISO (International Organization for Standardization) Standards > ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 - Quality Management Systems > ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 - Questions and Discussions

Do you find this discussion thread helpful and informational?