Elsmar Cove Forum Header Graphic The Elsmar Cove Wiki Sitemap More Free Files The Elsmar Cove Forums Discussion Thread Index Post Attachments Listing Failure Modes Services and Solutions to Problems Elsmar Cove Forums Main Page Elsmar Cove Home Page
NQA-USA
Miner's MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) Blog 
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Common Quality Assurance Processes and Tools > Documentation Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates
Forum Username

Wooden Line

Process Map of Document Control - Review wanted (Visio)

Search the Elsmar Cove
Search Elsmar
Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Follow Marc & Elsmar
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed  Marc Smith's Google+ Page  Marc Smith's Linked In Page   Marc Smith's Elsmar Cove YouTube Page  Marc Smith's Facebook Page  Elsmar Cove Twitter Feed
Elsmar Cove Groups
Elsmar Cove Google+ Group  Elsmar Cove LinkedIn Group  Elsmar Cove Facebook Group
Sponsor Links

Donate and $ Contributor Forum Access
Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

Howard's
International Quality Services
Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting
Bob Doering's
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook
IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors
SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers
Quality Digest Portal
IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology
ASQ - American Society for Quality

Related Topic Tags
document control, process mapping, microsoft visio software .vsd

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  Post Number #1  
Old 4th July 2010, 03:32 PM
starfish

Total Posts: 20
Please Help! Process Map of Document Control - Review wanted (Visio)

Could I please ask for some kind people to have a look at my process map for Document Control please. It is based on a template that I got from the site, and revamped to enhance the process to suit the company and people I work with.

Reviews are very much welcome
Attached Files: 1. Scan for viruses before using, 2. Please report any 'bad' files by Reporting this post, 3. Use at your Own Risk.
File Type: vsd DRAWING for document control.vsd (94.5 KB, 951 views)

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #2  
Old 4th July 2010, 11:50 PM
somashekar

Total Posts: 4,680
Re: Process Map of Document Control - Review wanted (Visio)

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by starfish View Post

Could I please ask for some kind people to have a look at my process map for Document Control please. It is based on a template that I got from the site, and revamped to enhance the process to suit the company and people I work with.

Reviews are very much welcome
It will help many to see, review and comment if you can attach same as an .xls file or a .pdf
Sponsored Links

Post Number #3  
Old 5th July 2010, 07:31 AM
Peter Fraser

Total Posts: 433

Some initial thoughts...
What is the purpose of the diagram? Who will use it? Does it give them the information they require in the best format? Can they easily find the parts that affect them?
What triggers the process (it is not clear who can suggest a change)?
"Document Creator": is this a person or role? (If a role, the person may not have been the creator)
Not sure that I see some of the "Inputs" as anything other than "useful notes".
A number of the "Inputs" and "Outputs" are tasks, which I would expect to see in the middle column.
Passive tense is to be avoided!
Who is the "Author"?
I had a go at the first part (as attached) - I think that it helps to make the steps clearer, and also highlights who is responsible (and who else needs to be involved) for each step - and makes it easier to fix if it is wrong!

Hope this helps.
Attached Files: 1. Scan for viruses before using, 2. Please report any 'bad' files by Reporting this post, 3. Use at your Own Risk.
File Type: pdf Document_Control.pdf (65.4 KB, 548 views)
Thanks to Peter Fraser for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #4  
Old 5th July 2010, 09:06 AM
starfish

Total Posts: 20
Please Help! Re: Process Map of Document Control - Review wanted (Visio)

Hi Peter

Many thanks for your comments and the suggested format, the flow chart is to be included in a document control procedure that specifically relates to Adminstration staff that are not familar with DC steps, and I wanted to show the process in a step by step approach, and able to reference the procedure when required for more details. Your suggested format was a good help, are you able to send me this so I can work with it? Thank you
  Post Number #5  
Old 5th July 2010, 09:56 AM
Peter Fraser

You can set it up in Excel (or even Word) - but it gets unwieldy if you are defining a number of processes this way. We use our own software (I'll send you a private email with more details)

PS might a flowchart in this detail not be able to replace the procedure?
  Post Number #6  
Old 6th July 2010, 02:58 PM
cgmpman

Total Posts: 1

Two things to share. First, to share with others who may not have Visio installed, just copy the entire drawing and paste it to a PowerPoint slide. Or do the same thing to a properly oriented Word doc. Secondly, there's always the challenge about how much to include in a flowchart. My opinion is that a flowchart should be a reasonably high level document (somewhat of a aerial view) so that one can see the basic steps. To this add the critical inputs, the approvals, and the end product. If the latter makes the flowchart unweildy, the use the multi-chart approach: one high level flowchart that describes the major steps and supplement each off-page reference with an appropriated deailed flowchart. From a high-level perspective, looks like you have identified the critical steps.
  Post Number #7  
Old 23rd July 2012, 05:46 PM
BTRAP

Total Posts: 1

Peter. I am in the process to develop a similar project as StarFish. I really liked the flowchart format you sent. You mentioned that this was done using your own software. what software is that. Can you help me?
  Post Number #8  
Old 24th July 2012, 04:53 AM
Peter Fraser

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by BTRAP View Post

Peter. I am in the process to develop a similar project as StarFish. I really liked the flowchart format you sent. You mentioned that this was done using your own software. what software is that. Can you help me?
Glad you like it - it is almost a standard format in UK North Sea oil and gas (they used Excel and Powerpoint about 20 years ago, but then realised that it was difficult to maintain an integrated set of process descriptions), but not well known in other sectors.
See http://www.promanade.co.uk/basic for the edition that creates printed (or pdf) output, and http://www.promanade.co.uk/our-software for the version that generates a complete electronic (html) management system.

Let me know if you want more details.
Thanks to Peter Fraser for your informative Post and/or Attachment!

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Common Quality Assurance Processes and Tools > Documentation Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates

Do you find this discussion thread helpful and informational?