The Elsmar Cove Wiki More Free Files The Elsmar Cove Forums Discussion Thread Index Post Attachments Listing Failure Modes Services and Solutions to Problems Elsmar cove Forums Main Page Elsmar Cove Home Page
Miner's MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) Blog   Elsmar.com Forum Home Page
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Medical Devices, Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics > Medical Device Related Standards > IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes
Forum Username

Search the Elsmar Cove
Custom Search
Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Follow Marc & Elsmar
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed  Marc Smith's Google+ Page  Marc Smith's Linked In Page   Marc Smith's Elsmar Cove YouTube Page  Marc Smith's Facebook Page  Elsmar Cove Twitter Feed
Elsmar Cove Groups
Elsmar Cove Google+ Group  Elsmar Cove LinkedIn Group  Elsmar Cove Facebook Group
Donate and $ Contributor Forum Access

Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

Howard's
International Quality Services
Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting
Bob Doering's
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook
IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors
SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers
Quality Digest Portal
IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology
ASQ - American Society for Quality

Related Topic Tags
configuration management, iso 62304 - medical device software development, medical device software, software tools (for qa statistics doc control etc.), software validation, validation of machines equipment processes design etc., validation testing

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
Old 16th July 2010, 07:43 AM
Enkidu

Please Help! ISO 62304 and Validation of Medical Device Software Tools

Hi,

Apologies if I'm asking a question that's already been answered. If so, any pointers an answer would be gratefully received.

I'm working with a manufacturer who is using an agile methodology to create class C medical device software. The organisation wants to ensure its QMS and practices are 62304 compliant. I'm supposed to be helping.

One of the issues I have is related to software tools. I'm struggling to understand the full extent of what's required to validate our configuration management software. What I'm finding hardest to understand is whether the tool needs to be on a dedicated server, how secure any server needs to be. Questions of that ilk.

Can anyone suggest where I might go for guidance? Or can anyone provide any guidance?

Any help gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
Old 16th July 2010, 10:37 AM
sagai

Re: ISO 62304 and Validation of Software Tools

GAMP5 is your friend
Sponsored Links

Old 20th July 2010, 02:44 AM
Enkidu

Thanks, Sagai
Old 15th December 2010, 08:05 AM
alex.Kennedy

This is one of the major concerns is using 'software tools' to manipulate software. You must validated your 'tools' thoroughly to give confidence that the software is not adultered.
This has often preclude the use of such tools in the pharmaceutical field. I.E. validation of the tools was a bigger task than validation of the software.
Where you store validated software must conform to cGMP requirements. That usually means validating the system to ensure security of the data from unauthorized access, fire, tempest, floods all other biblical disasters.
Old 15th December 2010, 08:05 AM
alex.Kennedy

This is one of the major concerns is using 'software tools' to manipulate software. You must validate your 'tools' thoroughly to give confidence that the software is not adultered by the use of the ‘Tools’.

This has often precluded the use of such tools in the pharmaceutical field. I.E. validation of the tools was a bigger task than validation of the software.

Storage of validated software, including tools used with this software, must conform to cGMP requirements. That usually means validating the system to ensure security of the data from unauthorized access/use/modification, fire or environmental degradation.

Alex Kennedy

Last edited by Stijloor; 13th May 2011 at 07:59 AM.
Old 3rd May 2011, 03:40 AM
Micked

Validation of software tools is a never ending source of confusion, ask me I've been there...
Ever tried to validate a C compiler?

I have actually found some light in the AAMI guidance TIR-36. This has the usual setup of intended use - requirements - installation - verification - maintenance etc. The largest value of this report is the examples provided. They walk you through validation of everything from a simple spreadsheet through a C compiler to a complex manufacturing system. Highly recommended!
This technical report is also on its way to be an IEC TR (technical report).

Good luck!
Old 30th November 2011, 04:00 AM
yalna

Sorry for bringing this thread back from the dead but...

I am currently in the middle of trying to validate a compiler (VS2010) and honestly, have no idea where to start from...

The FDA states in "Off-The-Shelf Software Use in Medical Devices" guideline the basic documentation required, one of which is: "5. How do you know it works?" part.

So how can I know a compiler works without covering all of the end cases?
Is assuming that millions of developers worldwide using it is sufficient?

Thanks,

Yalna
Old 30th November 2011, 04:17 AM
sagai

Hi Yalna,
that special control relates to OTS built into the MD, that guide has no relevance to your problem I think, due to compiler is not built into the MD.
What you are looking for is how to comply with 21CFR820.70(i) actually.

For compiler
Quote:
Is assuming that millions of developers worldwide using it is sufficient?
In medical industry it does not save our soul.

what you can do is to drive your validation effort into almost zero with common sense involvement , namely the validity of the compiler operation is checked implicitly during the unit/subsystem/whatever product testing, because those test would fail obviously in case the compiler would have failed to fulfill itsown intended use.
Well it should be packaged nicely into a rational.

Regards
Szabolcs
Thank You to sagai for your informative Post and/or Attachment!

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Medical Devices, Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics > Medical Device Related Standards > IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes

Do you find this discussion thread helpful and informational?