The Elsmar Cove Wiki More Free Files The Elsmar Cove Forums Discussion Thread Index Post Attachments Listing Failure Modes Services and Solutions to Problems Elsmar cove Forums Main Page Elsmar Cove Home Page
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Elsmar Cove Forum Community Forums > Community Discussion Topics > Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions
Forum Username

Search the Elsmar Cove
Custom Search
Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Follow Marc & Elsmar
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed  Marc Smith's Google+ Page  Marc Smith's Linked In Page   Marc Smith's Elsmar Cove YouTube Page  Marc Smith's Facebook Page  Elsmar Cove Twitter Feed
Elsmar Cove Groups
Elsmar Cove Google+ Group  Elsmar Cove LinkedIn Group  Elsmar Cove Facebook Group
Sponsor Links

Donate and $ Contributor Forum Access

Click the graphic above.
Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

Howard's
International Quality Services
Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting
Bob Doering's
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook
IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors
SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers
Quality Digest Portal
IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology
ASQ - American Society for Quality

Related Topic Tags
community discussions

Old 1st August 2010, 01:30 AM
Your Elsmar Cove Host

Registration Date: Jan 1996

Thanks Given to Others: 9,483
Thanked 5,162 Times in 3,278 Posts
Karma Power: 400
Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Question Solid Glass Jellyfish Paper Weight - How do they make this?

Solid Glass Jellyfish Paper Weight - This is all glass. There is no liquid inside. The bubbles are frozen in the glass. Can you give your opinion about how this was made?

1. It glows in the dark (this picture).
2. It is heavy and appears to be solid, clear glass.
3. Can not be put in direct sunlight (buy they don't say why).
4. Sold by the Smithsonian Museum (Mine is much taller than the one in the museum picture)
5. It can't be real. How does the manufacturer (Dynasty Gallery - Since 1951) make these? The label appears to say "Made in China" - Light yellow printing on a clear background, and very small print. It's kinda weird and I don't particularly care where is was made, but how do they do it?

A Search is a terrible thing to waste!
One Test is Worth 1000 Expert Opinions - The plural of anecdote is not data - Correlation does not imply Causation
We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them. - Unknown

Sponsored Links
Old 1st August 2010, 02:47 AM
Never-say-die

Registration Date: Mar 2009

Thanks Given to Others: 174
Karma Power: 75
Chennaiite is appreciated, and has over 1300 Karma points.Chennaiite is appreciated, and has over 1300 Karma points.Chennaiite is appreciated, and has over 1300 Karma points.Chennaiite is appreciated, and has over 1300 Karma points.Chennaiite is appreciated, and has over 1300 Karma points.Chennaiite is appreciated, and has over 1300 Karma points.Chennaiite is appreciated, and has over 1300 Karma points.Chennaiite is appreciated, and has over 1300 Karma points.Chennaiite is appreciated, and has over 1300 Karma points.Chennaiite is appreciated, and has over 1300 Karma points.
Re: Solid Glass Jellyfish Paper Weight - How do they make this?

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Marc View Post

Solid Glass Jellyfish Paper Weight - This is all glass. There is no liquid inside. The bubbles are frozen in the glass. Can you give your opinion about how this was made?

2. It is heavy and appears to be solid glass.
4. Sold by the Smithsonian Museum (Mine is much taller than the one in the museum picture)
5. It can't be real. How does the manufacturer (Dynasty Gallery - Since 1951) make these? The label appears to say "Made in China" - Light yellow printing on a clear background, and very small print. It's kinda weird and I don't particularly care where is was made, but how do they do it?
Wonder how much it weighs? To call it a Paper weight must be a sheer underestimation . I guess the Jelly is made with a Phosphorescent material.

'Hope alone doesn't win battle. Honest evaluation of one's own weaknesses, followed by mitigation does'- Quoted
Sponsored Links

Old 1st August 2010, 02:58 AM
Your Elsmar Cove Host

Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.

The picture is a time exposure so you're seeing it glow in the dark.

One Test is Worth 1000 Expert Opinions - The plural of anecdote is not data - Correlation does not imply Causation
We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them. - Unknown
Old 1st August 2010, 11:02 AM
Quality Manager

Registration Date: Sep 2003

Thanks Given to Others: 509
Thanked 2,992 Times in 1,931 Posts
Karma Power: 1175
Wes Bucey is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Wes Bucey is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Wes Bucey is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Wes Bucey is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Wes Bucey is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Wes Bucey is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Wes Bucey is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Wes Bucey is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.

Frankly I wonder if the "jelly" inside was ever real or if it is made like most "flowers in glass paperweights."

Almost every flower or animal I've seen in a glass paperweight [versus one of resin - which works same way as amber encasing insects] turns out to be a sculpture of colored glass which is then encased in more clear or tinted glass. Bubbles in a glass or resin paperweight are like "inclusions" in diamonds - they reduce the value. Most glass factories like Murano in Italy destroy the "seconds" to maintain the collectible value of the remainder (like DeBeers sends poor diamonds to industrial use.)

When examined under high magnification, the cell structure of so-called "flowers and plants" contained in glass paperweights is found to be absent. I suspect similar physical "details" of jellies may also be missing. When I was in college nearly half a century ago, I recall looking at slides of hydra and jellyfish tentacles under magnification and being able to discern the nematocysts or cnidocytes (stinging cells) clearly present in the tentacles.

If the answer I have provided is the correct one, I apologize for destroying the mystery, but perhaps it will give a deeper appreciation for the art. I feel like Toto pulling the curtain away from the Wizard.

"Few minds wear out; more rust out"
Inscribed over the entrance of Louis Pasteur School, Chicago
Christian Nestell Bovee (1820-1904) in Thoughts, Feelings and Fancies, 1857
Thanks to Wes Bucey for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Old 1st August 2010, 11:09 AM
Quality Manager

Wes Bucey is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Wes Bucey is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Wes Bucey is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Wes Bucey is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Wes Bucey is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Wes Bucey is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Wes Bucey is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Wes Bucey is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Wes Bucey View Post

Frankly I wonder if the "jelly" inside was ever real or if it is made like most "flowers in glass paperweights."

Almost every flower or animal I've seen in a glass paperweight [versus one of resin - which works same way as amber encasing insects] turns out to be a sculpture of colored glass which is then encased in more clear or tinted glass. Bubbles in a glass or resin paperweight are like "inclusions" in diamonds - they reduce the value. Most glass factories like Murano in Italy destroy the "seconds" to maintain the collectible value of the remainder (like DeBeers sends poor diamonds to industrial use.)

When examined under high magnification, the cell structure of so-called "flowers and plants" contained in glass paperweights is found to be absent. I suspect similar physical "details" of jellies may also be missing. When I was in college nearly half a century ago, I recall looking at slides of hydra and jellyfish tentacles under magnification and being able to discern the nematocysts or cnidocytes (stinging cells) clearly present in the tentacles.

If the answer I have provided is the correct one, I apologize for destroying the mystery, but perhaps it will give a deeper appreciation for the art. I feel like Toto pulling the curtain away from the Wizard.
It occurs to me to add the comment there is a "cheap and dirty"way to put real flowers (dried) apparently in a glass paperweight - they are glued to a glass base and a dome of glass fused over to magnify and give the optical illusion of three dimensionality - depending on the shape of the based to which they are glued. Magnification almost always reveals the fuse line. I'm pretty sure this is not the case with the jellies from the
Smithsonian.

Old 1st August 2010, 11:24 AM
Cross Forum Moderator

Registration Date: Jan 2005

Thanks Given to Others: 2,049
Thanked 5,977 Times in 3,811 Posts
Karma Power: 1529
Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Marc View Post

2. It is heavy and appears to be solid, clear glass.
From this purveyor of glass-encased jellyfish:

Quote:
Each sculpture contains the exoskeleton of a real jellyfish. (But to be more accurate we should call them "Sea Jellies.") These sea jellies are grown for exhibit at aquariums and have a lifespan of about 1-2 years.

You may be asking, "So how do they put the jellyfish in glass?" This is a delicate process because you're dealing with something that is mostly water. So a way must be found to stiffen the jelly enough to work with, and then to find a substance that will withstand 1,500 degree molten glass. So they start of by freezing the jellies in liquid nitrogen. This makes them strong enough to be coated with a polymer which preserves the jellies (like the Body Exhibit, which you've most likely heard about or have seen). Then the jelly is strong enough for the next step. It is then cast in resin. After the resin comes another layer of polymer to protect the resin and for the bonding with the glass. Then the molten glass is poured into the clay mold over the jelly. Of course the process is a bit more intricate than it sounds, but these are the basic steps.

It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it. --Upton Sinclair
Thank You to Jim Wynne for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Old 1st August 2010, 11:50 AM
Quality Manager

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Jim Wynne View Post

Interesting! So the process IS akin to animals and plants encased in amber - hence the intermediate step of using resin - probably ANY once-living biological specimen can be thus prepared.

(making biological microscope slides back in the "stone age" [when I was taking graduate courses in histological technique] required infusing the specimen in liquid paraffin, hardening it, then slicing it in thin slices with a microtome, then using a camel hair brush to lay the slices on a slide preparatory to staining.)

Old 1st August 2010, 12:49 PM
Your Elsmar Cove Host

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Wes Bucey View Post

<snip> probably ANY once-living biological specimen can be thus prepared. <snip>
You could donate your body to see if it will work on humans.... Wes in a big glass ball!

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Elsmar Cove Forum Community Forums > Community Discussion Topics > Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions

Do you find this discussion thread helpful and informational?