The Elsmar Cove Wiki More Free Files The Elsmar Cove Forums Discussion Thread Index Post Attachments Listing Failure Modes Services and Solutions to Problems Elsmar cove Forums Main Page Elsmar Cove Home Page
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > ISO (International Organization for Standardization) Standards > ISO 50001 and Sustainability, Green Initiatives and Ecology
Forum Username

Search the Elsmar Cove
Custom Search
Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Follow Marc & Elsmar
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed  Marc Smith's Google+ Page  Marc Smith's Linked In Page   Marc Smith's Elsmar Cove YouTube Page  Marc Smith's Facebook Page  Elsmar Cove Twitter Feed
Elsmar Cove Groups
Elsmar Cove Google+ Group  Elsmar Cove LinkedIn Group  Elsmar Cove Facebook Group
Sponsor Links

Donate and $ Contributor Forum Access
Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

Howard's
International Quality Services
Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting
Bob Doering's
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook
IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors
SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers
Quality Digest Portal
IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology
ASQ - American Society for Quality

Related Topic Tags
employee awareness, printed documents, waste management, paper documents and records, waste (general)

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
Old 14th September 2010, 09:40 PM
Shy Poster (1 to 5 Posts)

Registration Date: Sep 2010

Thanks Given to Others: 0
Karma Power: 15
LuisMB has less than 100 Karma points so far.
Re: How to Reduce Printed Paper Waste

I suggest one idea which was very succesfull in the company where I was working 4 years ago: turn off all the prints twice per week.

maybe in a first view I could be seem a bad idea, but you had written before: almost the 50 % of the printed paper is waste.
Try .. you will see good results

Sponsored Links
Old 12th October 2010, 03:58 PM
Getting Involved (6 to 9 Posts)

Registration Date: Jul 2009

Karma Power: 20
GreenQuality has less than 100 Karma points so far.

Survey a some employees to find out why they are printing hard copies. It may be a process requirement or other issue that can be addressed.
My company only purchases recycled paper and makes employees aware of aspects and impacts through our EMS (We recycle our paper too).
We also have a program that awards employees for efforts and actions implimented to reduce waste and reduce impact to the environment.
Setting up your printer to print both sides as a default setting is an easy change that can make a difference.
Sponsored Links

Old 13th October 2010, 12:57 PM
Involved in Discussions

Registration Date: Jun 2010

Thanks Given to Others: 45
Karma Power: 18
Drew G has less than 100 Karma points so far.

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by SteelMaiden View Post

Respectfully, I find that anytime people start banning and rationing the use of something, you don't really foster a culture where the masses buy into the process. I've found that when we work with people to get them to come up with solutions themselves, we end up not only meeting the goals, but exceeding them. Foster a culture of "reduce, reuse, recycle" and pretty soon your team will push one another to greater accomplishments. Foster a police state and all you will get is grudging compliance, and people who look for ways to beat the system.
True SteelMaiden; also true of many things in life: punishment breeds aggression. Bringing your perspective above to the Cove is very insightful. Thanks.

Drew
Old 13th January 2011, 09:20 AM
Auditor / Consultant

Registration Date: Aug 2005

Thanks Given to Others: 513
Thanked 1,114 Times in 755 Posts
Karma Power: 469
Helmut Jilling is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Helmut Jilling is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Helmut Jilling is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Helmut Jilling is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Helmut Jilling is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Helmut Jilling is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Helmut Jilling is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Helmut Jilling is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Helmut Jilling is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Helmut Jilling is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Helmut Jilling is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Helmut Jilling is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Helmut Jilling is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Helmut Jilling is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Helmut Jilling is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Helmut Jilling is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.

Set a goal to reduce paper and toner usage by 20%, promote and support the goal from management, measure and report the results and progress, and leave it to the ingenuity of each individual to see to getting it done.

Relentlessly Pursue Excellence!
Old 1st February 2011, 02:28 AM
Involved in Discussions

Registration Date: Jul 2010

Thanks Given to Others: 2
Karma Power: 22
john.b is appreciated, and has over 200 Karma points.john.b is appreciated, and has over 200 Karma points.john.b is appreciated, and has over 200 Karma points.

One way to save ink while printing exactly the same pages is by switching fonts. I ran across this idea while reviewing "green" management text coming out, and Google turns up lots on it.

The most ink-stingy fonts are a bit thin looking, as you'd expect, but Times-Roman and Calibri save a lot over Arial.

Of course trying to go paperless is a lot better, and half of what is on my desk probably never really needed to be printed.
Thank You to john.b for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Old 1st February 2011, 03:00 AM
Consultant / Auditor

Registration Date: Feb 2006

Thanks Given to Others: 1,392
Thanked 1,770 Times in 1,154 Posts
Karma Power: 407
JaneB is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.JaneB is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.JaneB is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
JaneB is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.JaneB is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.JaneB is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.JaneB is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.JaneB is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.JaneB is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.JaneB is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.JaneB is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.JaneB is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.JaneB is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.JaneB is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.JaneB is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.JaneB is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.JaneB is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.JaneB is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Skins View Post

Aside from the environmental impact, you old folks need to give up the paper. It is not nearly as efficient as you make it out to be, it takes longer to file hard-copies than electronic documents, and it's an excellent way to have document control.
Agree strongly that it's excellent for doc control and quicker to file electronically, assuming you have good electronic management practices of course! I like lots of stuff electronically.

But I don't fully agree that 'old folks need to give up the paper'. And I can speak from experience, as I is one.
One issue younger folks don't appreciate is that as you age, unfortunately eyesight often deteriorates and makes online stuff harder to read. Hardcopy is easier.
Also, plenty of research says that reading and processing information online is significantly slower than for hardcopy. Perhaps this may change if a/screen resolution improves and b/as a species, we adapt, but still the case at the moment.

For most of history, Anonymous was a woman. - Virginia Woolf
Old 1st February 2011, 12:30 PM
Shy Poster (1 to 5 Posts)

Registration Date: Jun 2008

Karma Power: 24
Skins has less than 100 Karma points so far.

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by JaneB View Post

Agree strongly that it's excellent for doc control and quicker to file electronically, assuming you have good electronic management practices of course! I like lots of stuff electronically.

But I don't fully agree that 'old folks need to give up the paper'. And I can speak from experience, as I is one.
One issue younger folks don't appreciate is that as you age, unfortunately eyesight often deteriorates and makes online stuff harder to read. Hardcopy is easier.
Also, plenty of research says that reading and processing information online is significantly slower than for hardcopy. Perhaps this may change if a/screen resolution improves and b/as a species, we adapt, but still the case at the moment.
The old folks was meant as a bit of a joke. Good documentation practices are paramount, and technology isn't a solution/replacement for a well managed system.

I've been wearing bifocals since kindergarten (wicked strabismus and astigmatism), and I've never had a large amount of eyestrain, nor find it difficult to read from an LCD screen. This may be a "generational" difference.

I do prefer paper for a few items (photographs, schematics) from a resolution standpoint, so I can see your point. For processes and procedures, you might change your mind about the clarity if you were to try a higher res screen.

I'm curious about the comprehension research, I guess I'll look into it.
Old 1st February 2011, 05:29 PM
Consultant / Auditor

Registration Date: Feb 2006

Thanks Given to Others: 1,392
Thanked 1,770 Times in 1,154 Posts
Karma Power: 407
JaneB is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.JaneB is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.JaneB is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
JaneB is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.JaneB is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.JaneB is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.JaneB is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.JaneB is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.JaneB is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.JaneB is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.JaneB is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.JaneB is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.JaneB is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.JaneB is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.JaneB is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.JaneB is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.JaneB is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.JaneB is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Skins View Post

Good documentation practices are paramount, and technology isn't a solution/replacement for a well managed system.
Do agree! I've seen some absolute dogs of online things, including SharePoint which had simply turned into a mishmash of documents and links everywhere, which was far far worse than a shelf of manuals and even less usable.

Size of screen and resolution definitely makes a difference.

Don't get me wrong, I'm strongly in favour of online doco whenever and wherever possible, particularly for 'how to' stuff and procedures. Processes? Hmm... depends. If it's a complex one, unless it's well structured and broken down into layers, and hyperlinked to the detail, I'd probably rather see it in hardcopy.

And yes, this may well be a generational thing. In which case I"m perhaps 1/2 way between dodo and phoenix?
As a baby boomer I didn't grow up with computers nor expect to be 'wired' and online 24/7. But I more than happily adapted to them a long time ago. I favour online docs over hardcopy whenever and wherever possible. But spare me from reading something online if it's long and complex and needing careful thought- much rather hardcopy!

I think it was William Horton (an early guru of online writing) quoted up to 40% slower reading online, but I acknowledge he's possibly a little dated now. I did go looking for more recent research - but didn't on a quick look find anything more recent, though I did spend some time happily reading a number of excellent new articles on Jakob Nielsen's UseIt site - he's just excellent at usability research and translating that into clear guidelines for websites, online writing/structure, etc. Let me know if you find anything, & I'll look too.

For most of history, Anonymous was a woman. - Virginia Woolf

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > ISO (International Organization for Standardization) Standards > ISO 50001 and Sustainability, Green Initiatives and Ecology

Do you find this discussion thread helpful and informational?