The Elsmar Cove Wiki More Free Files The Elsmar Cove Forums Discussion Thread Index Post Attachments Listing Failure Modes Services and Solutions to Problems Elsmar cove Forums Main Page Elsmar Cove Home Page
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Elsmar Cove Forum Community Forums > News! > Computer, Cell Phone and Internet News and Discussions
Forum Username

Search the Elsmar Cove
Custom Search
Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Follow Marc & Elsmar
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed  Marc Smith's Google+ Page  Marc Smith's Linked In Page   Marc Smith's Elsmar Cove YouTube Page  Marc Smith's Facebook Page  Elsmar Cove Twitter Feed
Elsmar Cove Groups
Elsmar Cove Google+ Group  Elsmar Cove LinkedIn Group  Elsmar Cove Facebook Group
Donate and $ Contributor Forum Access

Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

Howard's
International Quality Services
Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting
Bob Doering's
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook
IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors
SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers
Quality Digest Portal
IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology
ASQ - American Society for Quality

Related Topic Tags
computers

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
Old 12th September 2010, 09:52 AM
Super Moderator

Question How to revive a "dead" flash drive?

Friends,

I have a Cruzer (512 MB) flash drive that my computer does not recognize anymore. I tried it on my Windows XP machine. Now I have my Windows 7 machine with me. Any suggestions to bring this drive to live without causing any damage to my (new) laptop?

Thanks!

Stijloor.

Sponsored Links
Old 12th September 2010, 10:01 AM
Your Elsmar Cove Host

Re: How to revive a "dead" flash drive?

I think you'll find that once one dies it's gone to Flash Drive Heaven.

I have had a couple die and I remember finding a couple of utilities to resurrect and reformat dead flash drives, but the 2 I tried didn't work. They went into the trash. I never keep anything of importance on a flash drive so they're not a big issue to me.

But - You never know. Someone here may have an answer. Last time I looked around was 6 months or more ago.

A Search is a terrible thing to waste!
One Test is Worth 1000 Expert Opinions - The plural of anecdote is not data - Correlation does not imply Causation
We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them. - Unknown
Sponsored Links

Old 12th September 2010, 10:24 AM
Cross Forum Moderator

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Stijloor View Post

Friends,

I have a Cruzer (512 MB) flash drive that my computer does not recognize anymore. I tried it on my Windows XP machine. Now I have my Windows 7 machine with me. Any suggestions to bring this drive to live without causing any damage to my (new) laptop?

Thanks!

Stijloor.
You don't say if you've tried it on the Win7 machine (presumably a laptop) or not. You won't do any harm to anything by plugging it in to see what happens. If your computer seems to not recognize it, look at Disk Manager. Look here to see how to access and use Disk Management in Win7.

If the flash drive doesn't show up there, there's a good chance it's dead, and if it's dead you're mostly likely SOL with regard to the data stored on it. Before giving up hope, I'd try it on a third computer. If you're in a hotel there might be a business center with computers where you can try it. with it.

It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it. --Upton Sinclair
Thanks to Jim Wynne for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Old 12th September 2010, 11:03 AM
Appreciated Member

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Stijloor View Post

Friends,

Thanks!

Stijloor.
You may refer the linked page "How to Repair a USB Flash Drive". It once worked for me on Windows XP (SP2) but it didn't work with my friend's Flash Drive, so we assumed there was a hardware issue. In my flash drive, I noticed that when I inserted my 'impaired' device, yellow light blinked for a moment and then disappeared which confirmed that the hardware was undamaged.

The only thing that you need to try this method is your Operating System's CD (WIn XP or Windows 7 as the case may be). The data stored on the device cannot be recovered.

Good Luck.

"Success will never lower it's standard to accommodate us, we have to raise our standard to achieve it."
Thanks to samsung for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Old 12th September 2010, 11:18 AM
Cross Forum Moderator

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by samsung View Post

You may refer the linked page "How to Repair a USB Flash Drive". It once worked for me on Windows XP (SP2) but it didn't work with my friend's Flash Drive, so we assumed there was a hardware issue. In my flash drive, I noticed that when I inserted my 'impaired' device, yellow light blinked for a moment and then disappeared which confirmed that the hardware was undamaged.

The only thing that you need to try this method is your Operating System's CD (WIn XP or Windows 7 as the case may be). The data stored on the device cannot be recovered.

Good Luck.
If the drive isn't recognized, you won't be able to reformat it. Windows can't reformat a drive it can't "see." Also, most computers these days don't come with an OS CD/DVD. They come with a "restore" CD that works with a hidden partition on the system drive. The only option available is to completely restore the HD to its original configuration.

It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it. --Upton Sinclair
Old 12th September 2010, 11:30 AM
Super Moderator

Friends,

Thank you all for your suggestions.

Cruzer is dead. Served me well for a few years. R.I.P.

Stijloor.
Old 12th September 2010, 11:34 AM
Stop X-bar/R Madness

I had a Cruzer die, too. I don't use that brand anymore.

If we didn't care, we wouldn't share. That's why we're there.
Old 12th September 2010, 11:38 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by bobdoering View Post

I had a Cruzer die, too. I don't use that brand anymore.
Bob,

Anything more robust that you can recommend?

Stijloor.

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Elsmar Cove Forum Community Forums > News! > Computer, Cell Phone and Internet News and Discussions

Do you find this discussion thread helpful and informational?