Supplier Approval for Distributors of Equipment

B

Beth Workman

I just received an internal document from a colleague for approval of a "supplier" who is actually a distributor of equipment. To me approval of a distributor who doesn't have a quality system, because they don't make anything, seems unnecessary other than to say that we did our paperwork.

Should the process go one step further and also approve the manufacturer? Keeping in mind that the manufacturer would be big name companies like Toshiba, Mitsubishi, Novatec ect.

Thanks!

G

George Weiss

Quality comes in many forms.
Approval of any vendor’s quality might include integrity.
An overseas, web based distributor of medications might need a closer look

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Trusted Information Resource
If I read this correctly, you are buying stuff from a catalogue type distributer who sells many things, produced by many manufacturers?

I don't see why, if you are purchasing equipment that is quality critical to your application, you wouldn't want to keep an eye on their customer service, price, delivery, etc. What if they sell counterfit parts? Would that be acceptable to you? You would be evaluating them mostly as a service provider, as they are not the manufacturer, but they may seriously impact your operations nonetheless.:2cents:

B

Beth Workman

If I read this correctly, you are buying stuff from a catalogue type distributer who sells many things, produced by many manufacturers?

I don't see why, if you are purchasing equipment that is quality critical to your application, you wouldn't want to keep an eye on their customer service, price, delivery, etc. What if they sell counterfit parts? Would that be acceptable to you? You would be evaluating them mostly as a service provider, as they are not the manufacturer, but they may seriously impact your operations nonetheless.:2cents:
Yes I agree with the evaluation of the distributor in that sense, and am not saying that they shouldn't be evaluated. I guess my question is more towards, should the manufacturer themselves be evaluated in addition, since that is where the equipment comes from?
Also keep in mind that we will likely purchase only 2-3 items of this nature over the next year or 2.

C

ChrissieO

Yes I agree with the evaluation of the distributor in that sense, and am not saying that they shouldn't be evaluated. I guess my question is more towards, should the manufacturer themselves be evaluated in addition, since that is where the equipment comes from?
Also keep in mind that we will likely purchase only 2-3 items of this nature over the next year or 2.

It could depend on what industry sector you operate in. We have many distributors of our products across all industries and countries. Some of our distributors do request copies of our certs and even in some sectors, i.e. automotive, aero or marine actually require detialed information of our QMS even to the extent of us having to complete self assessment audits for the distributor on behalf of the end user.

i.e. if the distributor is selling our "x" prodcut to Honda they will request the completion of a self assessment audit even though we also sell direct to Honda on other products.

Chrissie

R

Ron Tollett

Would anyone have a form for first time suppliers to track their product first time through? Kinda of like a production traveler only for supplier product.

Top Bottom