Elsmar Cove Forum Header Graphic The Elsmar Cove Wiki Sitemap More Free Files The Elsmar Cove Forums Discussion Thread Index Post Attachments Listing Failure Modes Services and Solutions to Problems Elsmar Cove Forums Main Page Elsmar Cove Home Page
NQA-USA
Miner's MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) Blog 
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > ISO (International Organization for Standardization) Standards > ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 - Quality Management Systems > ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 - Questions and Discussions
Forum Username

Wooden Line

Inspection & Verificaton of Incoming Material - How best one can accomplish

Search the Elsmar Cove
Search Elsmar
Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Follow Marc & Elsmar
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed  Marc Smith's Google+ Page  Marc Smith's Linked In Page   Marc Smith's Elsmar Cove YouTube Page  Marc Smith's Facebook Page  Elsmar Cove Twitter Feed
Elsmar Cove Groups
Elsmar Cove Google+ Group  Elsmar Cove LinkedIn Group  Elsmar Cove Facebook Group
Sponsor Links

Donate and $ Contributor Forum Access
Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

Howard's
International Quality Services
Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting
Bob Doering's
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook
IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors
SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers
Quality Digest Portal
IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology
ASQ - American Society for Quality

Related Topic Tags
incoming materials, receiving inspection, receiving parts and assemblies, receiving raw materials, verification (general), incoming inspection (also see receiving inspection), incoming parts and materials verification

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
  Post Number #1  
Old 8th October 2010, 02:27 PM
samsung

Total Posts: 1,431
Question Inspection & Verificaton of Incoming Material - How best one can accomplish

I just want to propose an improved way of inspection and verification of the incoming material received at our stores and with this aim, I seek your valuable input as to how best one can accomplish this task.

What I realize is that till now it's a formal process wherein the requester inspects the material based on the parameters he specified in the Purchase Request (Indent) but most of the time it's not possible to fully inspect & verify all the specified parameters based on physical attributes and the likes but in any case he has to clear the 'Receipt cum Inspection Report'. Once this doc. is signed for acceptance, the stores proceeds for material issue and payment advice. But many a times, the inherent deficiencies become apparent only after the material/ part/ equipment is put to use.

What I intend to know is how others deal with this process especially in the events when a new supplier is inducted in the supply chain or the material is received from a 'not-so-well known' supplier. Even if it's a well known one, problems may surface up and one may end up with incurring significant losses in the form of breakdowns and resultant loss of productivity or poor quality of products.

Your inputs are very much appreciated.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #2  
Old 8th October 2010, 03:09 PM
SteelMaiden

Total Posts: 4,194
Re: Inspection & Verificaton of Incoming Material - How best one can accomplish

We have a receiving checklist that spells out what the receiver should verify for any quality critical purchases. Basically, what paperwork must accompany the shipment, what critical characteristics should be checked (training is provided on these), quantity, etc. Is this what you are asking?
Sponsored Links

Post Number #3  
Old 8th October 2010, 04:40 PM
samsung

Total Posts: 1,431

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by SteelMaiden View Post

We have a receiving checklist that spells out what the receiver should verify for any quality critical purchases. Basically, what paperwork must accompany the shipment, what critical characteristics should be checked (training is provided on these), quantity, etc. Is this what you are asking?
What I want to convey is that it's always not possible to inspect and verify all the critical parameters unless the material is put to use and it's where the deficiencies become apparent which couldn't be detected during the physical inspection at the warehouse (prior to issue and use). By this time, the documents have already been cleared and payment released to the suppliers.

For example, the stores receive a supply of nut bolts requested by me. Now I'm asked to inspect the material. Quantity, make, dimensions, packaging etc. are OK and as such I have to sign off the 'Inspection Sheet' and accept the material since it meets the 'prescribed specifications'. Well, I use this material and after 2 weeks I happen to discover that the bolts have suffered a premature failure resulting in production loss for 4 hours. (Although the suppliers later on made a free replacement but the loss incurred by the company was many times higher than the original cost of the faulty material).

The reason (root cause) for the failure was poor quality/ craftsmanship which couldn't be inspected and verified by physical means. What one can and should do to prevent such failures.

Has anyone experienced similar problems? Please share how you succeeded in managing the issues.
  Post Number #4  
Old 8th October 2010, 05:00 PM
Ralph Long

Total Posts: 25

Sounds like a supplier nonconformance issue.
  Post Number #5  
Old 8th October 2010, 05:05 PM
SteelMaiden

Total Posts: 4,194

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by samsung View Post

Has anyone experienced similar problems? Please share how you succeeded in managing the issues.
Sure, it happens all the time in manufacturing. Well, to varying degrees. This is where your control of lots of incoming product can really make a difference. If you find something wrong after you have purchased product, you pick up the phone, call your supplier and tell them what is going on. some people also have a nonconforming incoming product report that they can fill out with all the pertinent information. My last company did that. We'd fill in supplier, lot number and description of product, amount, what was wrong, etc. Then we'd send that report and a sample of the nonconforming product to the supplier and ask them to credit us our money, and sometimes (if it was needed) issue a CAR.
Thanks to SteelMaiden for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #6  
Old 8th October 2010, 08:39 PM
trainerbob

Total Posts: 178

This is the reason people require the PPAP process for incoming material. It does not have to be just for the auto industry. It is not perfect, but gives the buyer some idea what they are getting. It is certainly better to find out if the parts are any good long before they might be used in production. CHEAPER IS NOT ALWAYS BETTER!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks to trainerbob for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #7  
Old 9th October 2010, 01:14 AM
somashekar

Total Posts: 4,679

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by trainerbob View Post

This is the reason people require the PPAP process for incoming material. It does not have to be just for the auto industry. It is not perfect, but gives the buyer some idea what they are getting. It is certainly better to find out if the parts are any good long before they might be used in production. CHEAPER IS NOT ALWAYS BETTER!!!!!!!!!!
To systamatically reduce such occurances, the IS0 9001 asks at the 4.1 level itself a planned approach to processes in the QMS ....
This :
Quote:
Where an organization chooses to outsource any process that affects product conformity to requirements, the organization shall ensure control over such processes. The type and extent of control to be applied to these outsourced processes shall be defined within the quality management system.
NOTE 1 Processes needed for the quality management system referred to above include processes for management activities, provision of resources, product realization, measurement, analysis and improvement.
NOTE 2 An “outsourced process” is a process that the organization needs for its quality management system and which the organization chooses to have performed by an external party.
NOTE 3 Ensuring control over outsourced processes does not absolve the organization of the responsibility of conformity to all customer, statutory and regulatory requirements. The type and extent of control to be applied to the outsourced process can be influenced by factors such as
a) the potential impact of the outsourced process on the organization's capability to provide product that conforms to requirements,
b) the degree to which the control for the process is shared,
c) the capability of achieving the necessary control through the application of 7.4.
Quote:
The reason (root cause) for the failure was poor quality/ craftsmanship which couldn't be inspected and verified by physical means. What one can and should do to prevent such failures.
A case for validation and validation is one of the critical out sourced process control that can be exercised.

Quote:
Medical example: A SS tubing passivation process is outsourced. The tubing pathway must meet endotoxin levels per USP classification. Failure can be known only when pooled endotoxin test is conducted on finished products by customer and a reject will mean reject of an entire batch of device traced to a passivation lot. Our final cleaning process is controlled and effective, only if the process at passivation is maintained and controlled. So the controls exercised are :
1. Following of the approved passivation process and records
2. Records of bath concentrations
3. Tests on DM water that is used in process for listed parameters
4. Periodic 3rd party tests of passivated tube random samples for properties and contamination
5. Our periodic audits at outsourced place

Result: The pooled endotoxin test results of the final device have been consistantly 10 fold better than limit since last 5 years.

Last edited by somashekar; 9th October 2010 at 01:35 AM.
Thanks to somashekar for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #8  
Old 9th October 2010, 02:05 AM
Chennaiite

Total Posts: 559

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by samsung View Post

What I want to convey is that it's always not possible to inspect and verify all the critical parameters unless the material is put to use and it's where the deficiencies become apparent which couldn't be detected during the physical inspection at the warehouse (prior to issue and use). By this time, the documents have already been cleared and payment released to the suppliers.

For example, the stores receive a supply of nut bolts requested by me. Now I'm asked to inspect the material. Quantity, make, dimensions, packaging etc. are OK and as such I have to sign off the 'Inspection Sheet' and accept the material since it meets the 'prescribed specifications'. Well, I use this material and after 2 weeks I happen to discover that the bolts have suffered a premature failure resulting in production loss for 4 hours. (Although the suppliers later on made a free replacement but the loss incurred by the company was many times higher than the original cost of the faulty material).

I see two concerns in your Post,

One is, the inspection mechanism not good enough to detect the product non-conformance at receiving stage.
I don't think this is something unusual and there is not any hard and fast way of managing the situation. Your Engineering function responsible for Process Design along with the fellow Cross-functional team members could study the feasibility of improving the inspection mechanism, *case-by-case*. After all, I can cite a case where we succeeded by implementing a Gauge inspection, but this may not help in your specifics. Sometimes it is also possible that we are better off detecting in the Production line after putting the part to use (viable option).

Two is, Monetary loss your Organization encounters on account of non conformance in the purchased part.
This can be managed through the purchase agreement(or Quality agreement) by specifying the conditions of debit which can include factors like line stoppage loss. Remember, most of the times, as far as I know, this practice is not entertained as a good will, because it will be too much for the Suppliers to bear. After all, it is also important that the Suppliers are satisfied with the Customer, to some extent.
Thanks to Chennaiite for your informative Post and/or Attachment!

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > ISO (International Organization for Standardization) Standards > ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 - Quality Management Systems > ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 - Questions and Discussions

Do you find this discussion thread helpful and informational?