Elsmar Cove Forum Header Graphic The Elsmar Cove Wiki Sitemap More Free Files The Elsmar Cove Forums Discussion Thread Index Post Attachments Listing Failure Modes Services and Solutions to Problems Elsmar Cove Forums Main Page Elsmar Cove Home Page
NQA-USA
NQA-USA
Miner's MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) Blog 
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > ISO (International Organization for Standardization) Standards > ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 - Quality Management Systems > ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 - Questions and Discussions
Forum Username

Wooden Line

Internal Audit of Finance Department per ISO 9001:2008?

Search the Elsmar Cove
Search Elsmar
Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Follow Marc & Elsmar
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed  Marc Smith's Google+ Page  Marc Smith's Linked In Page   Marc Smith's Elsmar Cove YouTube Page  Marc Smith's Facebook Page  Elsmar Cove Twitter Feed
Elsmar Cove Groups
Elsmar Cove Google+ Group  Elsmar Cove LinkedIn Group  Elsmar Cove Facebook Group
Donate and $ Contributor Forum Access
Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

Howard's
International Quality Services
Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting
Bob Doering's
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook
IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors
SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers
Quality Digest Portal
IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology
ASQ - American Society for Quality

Related Topic Tags
financial (finance) departments, internal audits, iso 9001 - quality management systems

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
  Post Number #1  
Old 26th October 2010, 07:08 AM
Dubai_capi

Total Posts: 78
Please Help! Internal Audit of Finance Department per ISO 9001:2008?

Hi,

I am working for a finance department and will carry out an internal audit for them against ISO 9001:2008. I don't have that much experience in auditing accounts. Can a normal quality person be qualified to audit their processes or shall I be trained in account?

Thank you.

Last edited by somashekar; 26th October 2010 at 08:08 AM. Reason: Typos.

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #2  
Old 26th October 2010, 08:24 AM
somashekar

Total Posts: 4,653
Re: Internal audit of Finance department per ISO 9001:2008?

QMS: Is the finance department mapped within your QMS and is effectively being interacted with your other mapped QMS processes ?
Human Resource:Are the personnel in the finance department aware and trained on the requirement of ISO 9001:2008 and know about their method of operation in line with the PDCA approach ?
Internal audit training: Are you aware of the requirements of the internal auditing process and know how accounts function interacts with the other processes. What are their inputs >> activities >> outputs ?

Last edited by somashekar; 26th October 2010 at 01:17 PM.
Thanks to somashekar for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Sponsored Links

Post Number #3  
Old 26th October 2010, 08:38 AM
tomvehoski

Total Posts: 944

If the Finance department has defined processes for operations that you can follow, I don't see a problem. A good process auditor should be able to audit most any process. I would expect that you could follow processes like how invoices are managed, capital expenditures are approved, project costing is monitored, etc.

If you are planning on auditing the books, bank accounts, tax filings, SEC information, etc. I would say you are probably in over your head if you are not a CPA or equivalent.
  Post Number #4  
Old 26th October 2010, 12:21 PM
qusys

Total Posts: 2,210
Re: Internal Audit of Finance Department per ISO 9001:2008?

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Dubai_capi View Post

Hi,

I am working for a finance department and will carry out an internal audit for them against ISO 9001:2008. I don't have that much experience in auditing accounts. Can a normal quality person be qualified to audit their processes or shall I be trained in account?

Thank you.
Yes, of course.
First of all you shall agree the scope of audit and the related criteria with the process owner.
Even though you are not an expert of finance, you can audit it so far, no problem.
The question for you is the following: is this process inserted in the audit plan? is it relevant for your QMS?
Or, did the managemet give an input to you for this? Were some non conformities raised up in this process during thier operations?
  Post Number #5  
Old 27th October 2010, 12:51 AM
Dubai_capi

Total Posts: 78

thank you for reply,
i have experience in auditing.. and the account processes are in the QMS..
  Post Number #6  
Old 27th October 2010, 01:05 AM
somashekar

Total Posts: 4,653

Seems the situation is good to plan an internal audit and audit the accounts process and not the accounting principles, debit and credit methods or the auditing what the chartered accountants are responsible for. I am always keen on the audit aspects of how purchasing payments are communicated, processed in time and honoured and if any delays, then how they are communicated, about how the accounts are involved in budgeting for resource requirement and how these decisions come in the management review records. What is the involvement of accounts in the process of evaluation and selection of suppliers, Purchasing information to suppliers in terms of payment terms agreement.
May be you will have such and many more activities within accounts that are good to audit against your set requirements.
I appreciate your efforts in mapping the accounts process successfully. Good luck.

Last edited by somashekar; 24th November 2010 at 12:03 AM.
Thanks to somashekar for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #7  
Old 23rd November 2010, 03:41 PM
plazma

Total Posts: 1

We have two different parts of our handbook. In the general system description, there are provisions to "all" work done within the company, but there are none with regards to the finance department either in the general description or in the department specific processes. Should the finance department be "overlooked" in the internal audit if they are not the subject of any specific requirements?

This is my first audit, and the previous auditor left me with almost nothing (barely legible hand written notes from while I was still in college). As for the previous external audits, everything is in another language that I am not at all proficient in.

This site has been a HUGE help in my efforts, and I'm hoping the community can come through again.
  Post Number #8  
Old 23rd November 2010, 04:28 PM
Sidney Vianna

Total Posts: 8,085
Let Me Help You Re: Internal audit of Finance department per ISO 9001:2008?

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by plazma View Post

and I'm hoping the community can come through again.
The search feature is very powerful; look at this.

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > ISO (International Organization for Standardization) Standards > ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 - Quality Management Systems > ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 - Questions and Discussions

Do you find this discussion thread helpful and informational?