The Elsmar Cove Wiki More Free Files The Elsmar Cove Forums Discussion Thread Index Post Attachments Listing Failure Modes Services and Solutions to Problems Elsmar cove Forums Main Page Elsmar Cove Home Page
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > ISO (International Organization for Standardization) Standards > Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations
Forum Username

Search the Elsmar Cove
Custom Search
Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Follow Marc & Elsmar
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed  Marc Smith's Google+ Page  Marc Smith's Linked In Page   Marc Smith's Elsmar Cove YouTube Page  Marc Smith's Facebook Page  Elsmar Cove Twitter Feed
Elsmar Cove Groups
Elsmar Cove Google+ Group  Elsmar Cove LinkedIn Group  Elsmar Cove Facebook Group
Sponsor Links

Donate and $ Contributor Forum Access

Click the graphic above.
Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

Howard's
International Quality Services
Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting
Bob Doering's
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook
IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors
SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers
Quality Digest Portal
IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology
ASQ - American Society for Quality

Related Topic Tags
harmonization of standards

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
Old 3rd January 2011, 08:24 PM
Involved in Discussions

Registration Date: Nov 2010

Thanks Given to Others: 2
Karma Power: 18
Ethan Loh has less than 100 Karma points so far.
Please Help! Types of Standards and Harmonized Standards

Hi everybody,

Can anyone tell me what is the differences between the following standards?

1. Harmonized standard such as EN 980:2008
2. BS EN, DIN EN, etc....
3. ISO standards

My company had a few Technical Files for CE mark and it is a must to comply to the harmonized standards?

What happened if we do not comply to the harmonized standard but only to the ISO standards?

Please advise

Sponsored Links
Old 3rd January 2011, 09:05 PM
Addicted to standards

Registration Date: Mar 2006

Thanks Given to Others: 326
Thanked 1,708 Times in 913 Posts
Karma Power: 288
Marcelo Antunes is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marcelo Antunes is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marcelo Antunes is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marcelo Antunes is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Marcelo Antunes is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marcelo Antunes is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marcelo Antunes is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marcelo Antunes is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marcelo Antunes is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marcelo Antunes is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marcelo Antunes is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marcelo Antunes is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marcelo Antunes is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Send a message via ICQ to Marcelo Antunes Send a message via MSN to Marcelo Antunes Send a message via Skype™ to Marcelo Antunes
Re: Types of standards

Hello Ethan

Quote:
Can anyone tell me what is the differences between the following standards?

1. Harmonized standard such as EN 980:2008
2. BS EN, DIN EN, etc....
3. ISO standards
An ISO or IEC standard is a INTERNATIONAL standard, published by an international SDO - standard development organization, meaning it´s generally recognized by the members bodies of ISO and IEC as the standard on the subject.

Standards are by default voluntary. Countries or regions (case of the EU), when they want to use standards in their regulations, have to call them in the regulation to make it an option or mandatory or whatever.

Due to a lot of reasons, countries or regions usually cannot directly use an international standard...they have to use a country or region specific version of the standard. These are developed by SDOs from countries or regions.

In the case of the EU, the SDOs are CEN or CENELEC (the EU ISO and IEC) which publishes EN standards (European Norms).

Harmonized standards are related to the directives in place on the EU. Basically, directives gives essential, general requirements, and harmonized standards provide more detailed requirements. Please note that, although harmonized standards are considered the "gold standard" on the subject (state of the art) they are are still voluntary - the manufacturer of the device can use any technical solution thet they see fit. The problem here is that compliance with harmonized standards gives what the directives call "presumption of conformity" with the related essential requirements. Oher standards or other solutions do not give this. So if not using an harmonized standard, you will need to justiry (in your risk management file) that the level of safety your product has is the nsame as if using a harmonized standard.

Finally, due to a lot of other reasons (mainly new approach directives and the global approach framework), countries in the EU have to have their own version of harmonized standards, or have to accept the general EU standard as a national standard. That´s why we have BS EN (british implementation of the EU standard), DIN EN (german implementation of the EU standard) and etc.

I'm a moderator on the medical device forums, so if you need help with something, feel free to ask!

Last edited by Marcelo Antunes; 3rd January 2011 at 09:22 PM.
Thank You to Marcelo Antunes for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Sponsored Links

Old 5th January 2011, 10:01 AM
Involved in Discussions

Registration Date: Jul 2010

Thanks Given to Others: 7
zolakeene has less than 100 Karma points so far.
Please Help! Re: Types of Standards and Harmonized Standards

Hi

Happy Nerw Year

Can anyone help me?

I am trying to find a standard that relates to corrugated tubing for the medical industry?

many thanksa
Zola
Old 5th January 2011, 11:28 AM
Appreciated Information Resource

Registration Date: Nov 2007

Thanks Given to Others: 143
Karma Power: 98
SteveK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
SteveK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.SteveK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.SteveK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.SteveK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.SteveK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.SteveK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Lurker Re: Types of Standards and Harmonized Standards

Hi Zola,

The only standard I am aware of is BS EN 13544-2:2002 "Respiratory therapy equipment - Part 2: Tubing and connectors".

It is not specific to corrugated tubing, but it indicates a test for resistance to kinking, security of connectors, the fact that it is oxygen compatible etc. Not very detailed, but often some of the medical device standards are basic.

It is possible there are some references in other (harmonised) standards e.g. Lung Ventilator series - EN ISO 10651 - but I do not have copies of these so cannot comment.

I hope this is of some help.

Steve
Thanks to SteveK for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Old 23rd January 2011, 03:09 PM
Involved in Discussions

Registration Date: Jul 2010

zolakeene has less than 100 Karma points so far.
Re: Types of Standards and Harmonized Standards

Hi Guys

Can any give me a shove in the right direction need to prepare a presentation "Implementation of production operator led inspection, requirements and strategy£
Old 4th October 2012, 03:26 PM
Shy Poster (1 to 5 Posts)

Registration Date: Oct 2012

Karma Power: 8
DynaPur has less than 100 Karma points so far.

Marcelo, I just registered with ELSMAR yesterday and was searching for answers on this same topic for a non-medical field but I'm sure your info still applies.

Just to clarify, an IEC standard would NOT be a Harmonised Standard on an EU DoC, correct? We have a DoC from very large global manufacturer that is listing just IEC standards. Our client (who requested the DoC) said this is not acceptable. The supplier sent back the CENELEC listing of the 61326-2-1:2006 standard. The EN version is listed at the top of the listing paragraph and the paragraph concludes with the IEC version of the same. As a newcomer to the whole CE marking process, basic logic would dictate that the EN standard is what one would list so the manufacturer's "justification" for using IEC vs. EN coupled with your info means to me that the supplier's justification doesn't really hold water.

Do you have any suggestions (the Europa website aside) where I could find concise information as to what is required on EU DoC's?
Old 5th October 2012, 05:35 AM
Involved in Discussions

Registration Date: Nov 2008

Thanks Given to Others: 27
Karma Power: 25
renenatasha has less than 100 Karma points so far.

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Marcelo Antunes View Post

Hello Ethan

An ISO or IEC standard is a INTERNATIONAL standard, published by an international SDO - standard development organization, meaning it´s generally recognized by the members bodies of ISO and IEC as the standard on the subject.

Standards are by default voluntary. Countries or regions (case of the EU), when they want to use standards in their regulations, have to call them in the regulation to make it an option or mandatory or whatever.

Due to a lot of reasons, countries or regions usually cannot directly use an international standard...they have to use a country or region specific version of the standard. These are developed by SDOs from countries or regions.

In the case of the EU, the SDOs are CEN or CENELEC (the EU ISO and IEC) which publishes EN standards (European Norms).

Harmonized standards are related to the directives in place on the EU. Basically, directives gives essential, general requirements, and harmonized standards provide more detailed requirements. Please note that, although harmonized standards are considered the "gold standard" on the subject (state of the art) they are are still voluntary - the manufacturer of the device can use any technical solution thet they see fit. The problem here is that compliance with harmonized standards gives what the directives call "presumption of conformity" with the related essential requirements. Oher standards or other solutions do not give this. So if not using an harmonized standard, you will need to justiry (in your risk management file) that the level of safety your product has is the nsame as if using a harmonized standard.

Finally, due to a lot of other reasons (mainly new approach directives and the global approach framework), countries in the EU have to have their own version of harmonized standards, or have to accept the general EU standard as a national standard. That´s why we have BS EN (british implementation of the EU standard), DIN EN (german implementation of the EU standard) and etc.
Hi Marcelo,

I'm quite new to this so-called "Harmonized Standard" too. As far as I can recall, I thought we only have to note down those we use (or comply)? Hmm... is my understanding correct? Or we have to note whatever that relates? Oh BTW, the harmonized standards are only mentioned in the Essential Requirement and not in the Risk Management. Is this alright?

Sorry for the endless questions
Anyway, thanks for your advice. It's been of great help. - Rene

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > ISO (International Organization for Standardization) Standards > Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations

Do you find this discussion thread helpful and informational?