The Elsmar Cove Wiki More Free Files The Elsmar Cove Forums Discussion Thread Index Post Attachments Listing Failure Modes Services and Solutions to Problems Elsmar cove Forums Main Page Elsmar Cove Home Page
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Common Quality Assurance Processes and Tools > Software Quality Assurance
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Search the Elsmar Cove
Custom Search
Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Follow Marc & Elsmar
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed  Marc Smith's Google+ Page  Marc Smith's Linked In Page   Marc Smith's Elsmar Cove YouTube Page  Marc Smith's Facebook Page  Elsmar Cove Twitter Feed
Elsmar Cove Groups
Elsmar Cove Google+ Group  Elsmar Cove LinkedIn Group  Elsmar Cove Facebook Group
Sponsor Links

Donate and $ Contributor Forum Access
Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

Howard's
International Quality Services
Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting
Bob Doering's
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook
IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors
SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers
Quality Digest Portal
IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology
ASQ - American Society for Quality

Related Topic Tags
audits and auditing, checklist or check sheet, cmmi (capability maturity model integration), pdqa (product development quality assurance), as9115 - aerospace and defense software

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
Old 15th April 2011, 01:37 AM
Quest For Quality

Registration Date: Aug 2006

Thanks Given to Others: 428
Karma Power: 64
michellemmm is appreciated, and has over 1300 Karma points.michellemmm is appreciated, and has over 1300 Karma points.michellemmm is appreciated, and has over 1300 Karma points.michellemmm is appreciated, and has over 1300 Karma points.michellemmm is appreciated, and has over 1300 Karma points.michellemmm is appreciated, and has over 1300 Karma points.michellemmm is appreciated, and has over 1300 Karma points.michellemmm is appreciated, and has over 1300 Karma points.michellemmm is appreciated, and has over 1300 Karma points.michellemmm is appreciated, and has over 1300 Karma points.
Send a message via AIM to michellemmm
Re: Software Product Development Quality Assurance (PDQA) Audit Checklists

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Colin View Post

Couldn't agree more Michelle. I visited 1 company where the auditee had the answers for his internal audit ready to read off to the auditor he was so familiar with what the questions were going to be, no matter who did the audit.
I always discourage my clients to use checklist.

Currently, I am working with a large customer with a "mature" quality system made of concrete. Preparation for meeting needs a check list. They use these "records" to whip their supplier. When a document submitted for approval, they demand a QA checklist that contains checking for table of content accuracy, acronym accuracy, page numbering, signature verification, etc... This for a technical document-design description- qualification or environmental test plan!!!! The funny part is their documents are full of spelling and grammar errors and they reject supplier's document when a comma is out of place. How could anyone expect a QAE use such a checklist? Maybe they need to make a checklist for a checklist!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 16th April 2011, 02:50 AM
Consultant / Auditor

Registration Date: Feb 2006

Thanks Given to Others: 1,392
Thanked 1,770 Times in 1,154 Posts
Karma Power: 408
JaneB is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.JaneB is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.JaneB is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
JaneB is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.JaneB is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.JaneB is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.JaneB is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.JaneB is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.JaneB is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.JaneB is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.JaneB is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.JaneB is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.JaneB is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.JaneB is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.JaneB is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.JaneB is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.JaneB is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.JaneB is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by michellemmm View Post

When the same checklist is used everyday, it becomes a torture instrument.
I think I didn't read the thread context carefully enough, and interpreted your question as a general one about checklists (to which I responded with my previous post), whereas the topic at hand is more about using audit checklists. My apologies for any confusion I brought in.

Checklists for audit - in the sense of predetermined checklists to be used in each case are a whole different kettle of fish, and not something I support at all. As for using the same checklist 'everyday'! Lord save me from such.

For most of history, Anonymous was a woman. - Virginia Woolf
Sponsored Links

Old 17th April 2011, 12:01 AM
Consultant / Auditor

Registration Date: Feb 2006

Thanks Given to Others: 1,392
Thanked 1,770 Times in 1,154 Posts
Karma Power: 408
JaneB is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.JaneB is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.JaneB is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
JaneB is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.JaneB is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.JaneB is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.JaneB is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.JaneB is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.JaneB is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.JaneB is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.JaneB is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.JaneB is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.JaneB is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.JaneB is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.JaneB is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.JaneB is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.JaneB is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.JaneB is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by michellemmm View Post

Maybe they need to make a checklist for a checklist!!!
Don't suggest it, even in jest. They might think it's a brilliant idea.

IN some ways, I'd not mind too much if their system and its documents were models of clarity, currency and good information. That they're not is an indictment of the system, though not necessarily of the checklist approach.

For most of history, Anonymous was a woman. - Virginia Woolf
Old 17th April 2011, 01:13 AM
Quest For Quality

Registration Date: Aug 2006

Thanks Given to Others: 428
Karma Power: 64
michellemmm is appreciated, and has over 1300 Karma points.michellemmm is appreciated, and has over 1300 Karma points.michellemmm is appreciated, and has over 1300 Karma points.michellemmm is appreciated, and has over 1300 Karma points.michellemmm is appreciated, and has over 1300 Karma points.michellemmm is appreciated, and has over 1300 Karma points.michellemmm is appreciated, and has over 1300 Karma points.michellemmm is appreciated, and has over 1300 Karma points.michellemmm is appreciated, and has over 1300 Karma points.michellemmm is appreciated, and has over 1300 Karma points.
Send a message via AIM to michellemmm

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by JaneB View Post

Don't suggest it, even in jest. They might think it's a brilliant idea.

IN some ways, I'd not mind too much if their system and its documents were models of clarity, currency and good information. That they're not is an indictment of the system, though not necessarily of the checklist approach.
A non conformity was issued by this customer for the following observation:

The first check list's heading stated:
Engineering Checklist: SDP

The second check list's heading stated:
Engineering checklist for CMP

Rational: Checklists should follow a uniform naming and convention.

Wouldn't you say this customer is an idiot? No customer's are not always right. This is the first customer I have dealt with who act like this. What ever happened to mutually beneficial relationship with the supplier. What happened to function per cost ratio? The book of shall was not written for this purpose. It was written for "Best Management Practices" and not perfect documents by the suppliers only.

You can see why I was saying we may need a checklist for a checklist.
Old 17th April 2011, 03:23 AM
Appreciated Information Resource

Registration Date: Oct 2009

Thanks Given to Others: 447
Karma Power: 129
sagai is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.sagai is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.sagai is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.sagai is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.sagai is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.sagai is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.sagai is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.sagai is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.sagai is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.sagai is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.sagai is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.sagai is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.sagai is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.

Only one note as regard to the use of checklists.
Actually CMMI several times mention checklist as a potential partial evidance of the required capability level achived the generic goal, I can not recall exactly for which areas, but if someone interested and opens the document, can find it.
One story matches into this subject, there was a case when one department used checklist intestead of documented procedure on one process area and they not even understood what is a difference between them and the problem with that.
br
Sz.

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Common Quality Assurance Processes and Tools > Software Quality Assurance

Do you find this discussion thread helpful and informational?