Elsmar Cove Forum Header Graphic The Elsmar Cove Wiki Sitemap More Free Files The Elsmar Cove Forums Discussion Thread Index Post Attachments Listing Failure Modes Services and Solutions to Problems Elsmar Cove Forums Main Page Elsmar Cove Home Page
NQA-USA
Miner's MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) Blog 
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > ISO (International Organization for Standardization) Standards > ISO/TS 16949 - International Automotive Quality Systems Standard
Forum Username

Wooden Line

Special or Key Characteristics Standards and Symbols

Search the Elsmar Cove
Search Elsmar
Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Follow Marc & Elsmar
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed  Marc Smith's Google+ Page  Marc Smith's Linked In Page   Marc Smith's Elsmar Cove YouTube Page  Marc Smith's Facebook Page  Elsmar Cove Twitter Feed
Elsmar Cove Groups
Elsmar Cove Google+ Group  Elsmar Cove LinkedIn Group  Elsmar Cove Facebook Group
Donate and $ Contributor Forum Access
Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

Howard's
International Quality Services
Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting
Bob Doering's
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook
IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors
SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers
Quality Digest Portal
IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology
ASQ - American Society for Quality

Related Topic Tags
special characteristics, standards (e.g. iso mdd ansi etc.), key characteristics (general)

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  Post Number #1  
Old 22nd March 2011, 12:32 PM
Fred B

Total Posts: 1
Please Help! Special or Key Characteristics Standards and Symbols

Hello,
we are struggling in our organization to deploy Key Characteristics. I am wondering if there is any standard related to this topic and for symbols. I know in some industries the reverted delta within a circle is used to identify a Safety or Regulatory characteristic, but is this linked to any standard. Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #2  
Old 22nd March 2011, 12:44 PM
Sidney Vianna

Total Posts: 8,087
Re: Special or Key Characteristics standards

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Fred B View Post

I am wondering if there is any standard related to this topic and for symbols.
In the Aerospace Sector, we have AS9103 - Variation Management of Key Characteristics
Thank You to Sidney Vianna for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Sponsored Links

Post Number #3  
Old 22nd March 2011, 01:49 PM
Sturmkind

Total Posts: 268
Re: Special or Key Characteristics standards

Fred B;

Please see the attached for Automotive OEM characteristics from the now obsolete QS9000 manual.
Attached Files: 1. Scan for viruses before using, 2. Please report any 'bad' files by Reporting this post, 3. Use at your Own Risk.
File Type: pdf OEM_KeyCharacteristics_QS9000_AppC.pdf (48.2 KB, 380 views)
Thank You to Sturmkind for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #4  
Old 5th April 2011, 02:47 AM
cosminadorina

Total Posts: 9
Re: Special or Key Characteristics Standards and Symbols

Hello,
I need some help, one of our customer is requiering us to identify in the control plan special characteristics given by them. By each special characteristic they have also an inspection level required . We don't want to use their symbols and I would like to create a procedure for our company.
I have decided to clasify special characteristics in 3categories: critical, significant, major and standard characteristics.
Standard characteristics should be the less important and no special control should be required.
But I don't know what kind of controls should I define for the other 2. Should I define something standard? Or for each characteristic we should define his own control?
  Post Number #5  
Old 5th April 2011, 09:28 AM
cosminadorina

Total Posts: 9

Is any one there?
  Post Number #6  
Old 5th April 2011, 01:05 PM
Stijloor

Total Posts: 14,712

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by cosminadorina View Post

Is any one there?
Yes!

Responses will be provided! Sometimes it takes a little while....

Stijloor, Forum Moderator.
  Post Number #7  
Old 5th April 2011, 02:00 PM
Hodgepodge

Total Posts: 281

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by cosminadorina View Post

Hello,
I need some help, one of our customer is requiering us to identify in the control plan special characteristics given by them. By each special characteristic they have also an inspection level required . We don't want to use their symbols and I would like to create a procedure for our company.
I have decided to clasify special characteristics in 3categories: critical, significant, major and standard characteristics.
Standard characteristics should be the less important and no special control should be required.
But I don't know what kind of controls should I define for the other 2. Should I define something standard? Or for each characteristic we should define his own control?
Key, critical, significant, major, and standard (using some of your terms) are characteristic designators. You can control the identification of these designators any way you like. I suggest you define, as specifically as possible, the method of identifying how to use the characteristic designators. If you have design authority, define each type of characteristic designator in your engineering procedures. Otherwise define it in your production planning procedures and identify the inspection level required for each in your inspection procedures.

When referencing a critical characteristic on sketches and inspection paperwork you can use a different color, an asterisk (or 2 asterisks), a symbol, inspection level designation...whatever you want. If it is critical or key, it should stand out. Your company can decide how to ensure the users of your documents know the importance of what they are doing. Specify the nature of the characteristics described therein in the most clear and unmistakeable method you can.

Depending on your customer's requirements, you may need to use their method of identifying these characteristics to avoid confusion.
Thanks to Hodgepodge for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #8  
Old 14th April 2011, 08:28 AM
Marc

Total Posts: 24,480

This is for automotive - This is kinda old, but I doubt it has changed much. I'm sure others will let us know if this has changed:

Definitions of Characteristics

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > ISO (International Organization for Standardization) Standards > ISO/TS 16949 - International Automotive Quality Systems Standard

Do you find this discussion thread helpful and informational?