Elsmar Cove Forum Header Graphic The Elsmar Cove Wiki Sitemap More Free Files The Elsmar Cove Forums Discussion Thread Index Post Attachments Listing Failure Modes Services and Solutions to Problems Elsmar Cove Forums Main Page Elsmar Cove Home Page
NQA-USA
Miner's MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) Blog 
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > National and International Business Standards and Requirements > CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme
Forum Username

Wooden Line

What is PED (Pressure Equipment Directive) Certification?

Search the Elsmar Cove
Search Elsmar
Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Follow Marc & Elsmar
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed  Marc Smith's Google+ Page  Marc Smith's Linked In Page   Marc Smith's Elsmar Cove YouTube Page  Marc Smith's Facebook Page  Elsmar Cove Twitter Feed
Elsmar Cove Groups
Elsmar Cove Google+ Group  Elsmar Cove LinkedIn Group  Elsmar Cove Facebook Group
Sponsor Links

Donate and $ Contributor Forum Access
Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

Howard's
International Quality Services
Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting
Bob Doering's
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook
IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors
SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers
Quality Digest Portal
IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology
ASQ - American Society for Quality

Related Topic Tags
directive 97/23/ce (pressure equipment ped), pressure equipment directive (ped)

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  Post Number #1  
Old 14th April 2011, 01:18 PM
56flh

Total Posts: 68
Question What is PED (Pressure Equipment Directive) Certification?

We are being asked for a PED certification for a product we produce. Since we are ISO9001 certified I think that I have the requirement tracked down to meeting the requirements of 97/23/CE Modules A and E1. What and where do I find these documents. After an hour of surfing the "net" looking for this information I'm getting a bit frustrated.

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #2  
Old 14th April 2011, 02:13 PM
ScottK

Total Posts: 2,529
Re: What is PED certification?

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by 56flh View Post

We are being asked for a PED certification for a product we produce. Since we are ISO9001 certified I think that I have the requirement tracked down to meeting the requirements of 97/23/CE Modules A and E1. What and where do I find these documents. After an hour of surfing the "net" looking for this information I'm getting a bit frustrated.
PED is EU Pressure Equipment Directive 97/23/EC
http://ec.europa.eu/enterprise/secto...documents/ped/
there's a link to the standard there and the standard has the tables for conformity assessment. The modules are in Annex III.

You have to look at the tables in Annex II to find your category and then the conformity assessment table to see what modules are required.

My prior company made parts in Category I, Module A and Catgory IV, Modules B&D. And Article 3, Paragraph 3... which is sound engineering practices for parts that are pressure equipment but not requireing a CE mark.

If you tell me what you make I might be able to offer some guidance. I spent 4+ years with the PED. PM me if you don't want to publish it in public.
I'm in the printing business now so I am not a competitor.

Last edited by ScottK; 14th April 2011 at 02:40 PM.
Thank You to ScottK for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Sponsored Links

Post Number #3  
Old 15th April 2011, 10:31 AM
56flh

Total Posts: 68

Thanks for your help Scott. I believe the information you sent will answer the questions I have about the part I'm dealing with.
  Post Number #4  
Old 1st August 2012, 12:12 PM
pclaire

Total Posts: 1

Hi Scott - I read your post that you know something about PED. I work for a steel mill. One of our customers requires 97/23/EC but the more I read about it the more I don't think we really need full blown certification to the standard. In fact, since we don't manufacture finished parts it may be inappropriate that a registrar is giving us certification????? We are AS9100 certified.
Do you have any comments that might help me with this question?
  Post Number #5  
Old 1st August 2012, 05:52 PM
Michael T

Total Posts: 323

Hi pclaire...

I've been dealing with the PED for several years now. As a materials manufacturer, to be able to supply material in accordance with 97/23/EC (The Pressure Equipment Directive) you have to have your quality system certified by a Notified Body. Per the PED, a material manufacturer must have a quality system that complies with Annex I, Section 4.3 of the Pressure Equipment Directive. The modules would not apply unless you manufacture pressure equipment or pressure accessories. Since you work in a steel mill, you are a materials manufacturer.

I hope this answers your questions. If you would like any additional information, I would be happy to share the frustrations of the PED with you or anyone... LOL!!!

Cheers!!

Michael
Thanks to Michael T for your informative Post and/or Attachment!

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > National and International Business Standards and Requirements > CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme

Do you find this discussion thread helpful and informational?