Elsmar Cove Forum Header Graphic The Elsmar Cove Wiki Sitemap More Free Files The Elsmar Cove Forums Discussion Thread Index Post Attachments Listing Failure Modes Services and Solutions to Problems Elsmar Cove Forums Main Page Elsmar Cove Home Page
NQA-USA
Miner's MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) Blog 
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Medical Devices, Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics > Medical Device Related Standards > IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series
Forum Username

Wooden Line

Risk Management - Probability vs. Frequency

Search the Elsmar Cove
Search Elsmar
Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Follow Marc & Elsmar
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed  Marc Smith's Google+ Page  Marc Smith's Linked In Page   Marc Smith's Elsmar Cove YouTube Page  Marc Smith's Facebook Page  Elsmar Cove Twitter Feed
Elsmar Cove Groups
Elsmar Cove Google+ Group  Elsmar Cove LinkedIn Group  Elsmar Cove Facebook Group
Sponsor Links

Donate and $ Contributor Forum Access
Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

Howard's
International Quality Services
Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting
Bob Doering's
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook
IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors
SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers
Quality Digest Portal
IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology
ASQ - American Society for Quality

Related Topic Tags
risk management and analysis

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
  Post Number #1  
Old 5th July 2011, 11:50 AM
Roland chung

Total Posts: 395
Please Help! Risk Management - Probability vs. Frequency

Hello Peter,

I think it is better to start a new thread to discuss the interesting topic which shown as the caption.

Using the frequency as the basis of the risk is quite new for me. Please allow me simply summarize your point of view: if the events are relatively high frequency (>1 events/device/year), it is correct to use the frequency to estimate the risk. That said, use of the probability in that case is wrong.

It seems to make sense for external events (e.g. misuse). Could you explain it in detail? Please give some examples, if possible.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #2  
Old 5th July 2011, 12:11 PM
RogerG

Total Posts: 8
Re: Risk Management - Probability vs. Frequency

Rather than frequency or probability we tend to use likelihood and define it in terms of common cause events and special cause events, each modified as to likely to occur for most users or for a smaller group of users. Are twice as many events twice as important? I don't think that this type of question can be easily answered, so numerically based methods of assessing occurrence seem inappropriate to me (although they are obviously used almost everywhere).
Thanks to RogerG for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Sponsored Links

Post Number #3  
Old 8th July 2011, 05:07 AM
Peter Selvey

Total Posts: 780

Accurately estimating probability (or frequency) can be difficult so in most cases this is purely a "theoretical" discussion.

ISO 14971 specifically states that risk is based on the probability of harm.

The correct parameter is frequency (average events per period), to account for events that occur at a frequency > 1. Since probability cannot exceed 1, under ISO 14971, all events with a frequency exceeding one are treated as having the same "risk". So for example a minor burn that occurs 100 times a year has the same "risk" of a minor burn that occurs 1-2 times a year.

Obviously, in this extreme example no-one would consider the risk the same. But I have seen cases where risks that are different by factors of 10 are considered treated the same.

Also, this can also cause errors if there is a sequence of events, and overall probability of harm is based on product of each probability. Again if one of the intermediate events occurs a frequency greater than 1, the result may underestimate the risk.

The potential for "error" increases as the unit for time increases. Calculations based on per use or per day are usually OK, but calculations on a per year or per lifetime might have problems.

Obviously, risk should be risk no matter what units are used. Units are just for convenience. The ratio of risk for event A vs event B should be constant no matter what units are used. If frequency is used, the ratio never changes. But if probability is used, it can change ...
Thanks to Peter Selvey for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #4  
Old 8th July 2011, 11:54 PM
Roland chung

Total Posts: 395

My thoughts a bit messy now. I am wondering if the overall probability will be overestimated when using frequency.

I would think the frequency (adverse events) is highly relevant to the number of use of device during a defined period. For example, device A is used 1000 times per year and 1 adverse events occurred (1 in 1000). If a similar device B is used 100 times per year but without adverse events, can we say the risk of device B is lower than the device A? Frequency based method may tell us that the risk of device A is higher. I think it is not true. There is not enough evidence to judge which device has higher risk.

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Medical Devices, Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics > Medical Device Related Standards > IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series

Do you find this discussion thread helpful and informational?