The Elsmar Cove Wiki More Free Files The Elsmar Cove Forums Discussion Thread Index Post Attachments Listing Failure Modes Services and Solutions to Problems Elsmar cove Forums Main Page Elsmar Cove Home Page
Miner's MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) Blog 
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Common Quality Assurance Processes and Tools > Nonconformance and Corrective Action
Forum Username

Wooden Line

8D's for finished programs - Permanent corrective measures

Wooden Line
Search the Elsmar Cove
Search Elsmar
Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Follow Marc & Elsmar
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed  Marc Smith's Google+ Page  Marc Smith's Linked In Page   Marc Smith's Elsmar Cove YouTube Page  Marc Smith's Facebook Page  Elsmar Cove Twitter Feed
Elsmar Cove Groups
Elsmar Cove Google+ Group  Elsmar Cove LinkedIn Group  Elsmar Cove Facebook Group
Donate and $ Contributor Forum Access
Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

Howard's
International Quality Services
Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting
Bob Doering's
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook
IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors
SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers
Quality Digest Portal
IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology
ASQ - American Society for Quality

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
Old 9th July 2002, 11:21 AM
Al Cohen

Unhappy 8D's for finished programs - Permanent corrective measures

After a program/contract has finished, is it possible to complete a an 8D/7 step? What permanent corrective measures can be put into place if you do not supply that customer with any more product?

Sponsored Links
Old 9th July 2002, 11:43 AM
M Greenaway

Al

If you dont supply any more product to the customer then the problem cannot re-occur. If you want to compile an 8D in case of new business then simply state the fact that no corrective action will be undertaken due to end of product life, or whatever the reason.
Sponsored Links

Old 9th July 2002, 01:36 PM
D.Scott

Another approach would be to apply what you have learned from the C/A to other processes / programs / contracts to ensure you don't have the same problem in another area.

Dave
Old 9th July 2002, 01:42 PM
JodiB

Am I misunderstanding?

Why can't the problem occur again Martin? Am I missing something here? Is the root cause so imbedded in that particular customer's requirements that it just goes away?

If it is a system problem, then it has to be dealt with. The corrective action is for the system, not the product, not the customer.

Al, could you give more detail?
Old 10th July 2002, 03:54 AM
M Greenaway

Your right Lucinda.

I was thinking strictly in terms of a specific product supplied to a specific customer where the customer is demanding an 8D report.

You are quite correct that any complaint should be investigated to root cause, and actions taken as necessary for the good of the company.

Sorry - just starting to get trapped into the mind set of my current employer, thanks for snapping me out of it !
Old 10th July 2002, 09:35 AM
JodiB

Well, back into my mindset of 3rd party audit I have to wonder how an open 8D request could pass muster. Or is this back to the previously discussed question of whether a NCR can be closed without action...? I suppose that one could always close out the 8D by saying that no action would be taken.....!

Perhaps wrong place to mention this, but a good 3rd party auditor will be looking for a good reason for not taking action. S/he will question the robustness of the CAPA process if it looks like a company ducks issues simply out of convenience. To me, saying that the customer is no longer a customer so we don't have to respond to them with corrective action smells like convenience.
Old 10th July 2002, 10:53 AM
M Greenaway

I guess we have two issues.

Firstly identifying a problem, discovering root cause and then taking appropriate action on the system.

Secondly we have the need to satisfy the customers burning desire for a full 8D report on every single reported incidence of non-conforming product.

My repsonse was leaning towards consideration of the second issue above, i.e. the formal report back to the customer. If an assessor picked me up for not reporting back an 8D to a customer that I no longer had I would have to laugh.
Old 10th July 2002, 10:57 AM
Randy Stewart

I agree Lucinda, the verbiage would have to tell me why it was closed without action. Show me that the company looked into it and why that decision was made. Even if it was "uneconomical" due to contract expiration I would look to ensure the problem didn't cross over other operations.

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Common Quality Assurance Processes and Tools > Nonconformance and Corrective Action

Do you find this discussion thread helpful and informational?