The Elsmar Cove Wiki More Free Files The Elsmar Cove Forums Discussion Thread Index Post Attachments Listing Failure Modes Services and Solutions to Problems Elsmar cove Forums Main Page Elsmar Cove Home Page
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Common Quality Assurance Processes and Tools > Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics
Forum Username

Search the Elsmar Cove
Custom Search
Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Follow Marc & Elsmar
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed  Marc Smith's Google+ Page  Marc Smith's Linked In Page   Marc Smith's Elsmar Cove YouTube Page  Marc Smith's Facebook Page  Elsmar Cove Twitter Feed
Elsmar Cove Groups
Elsmar Cove Google+ Group  Elsmar Cove LinkedIn Group  Elsmar Cove Facebook Group
Sponsor Links

Donate and $ Contributor Forum Access

Click the graphic above.
Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

Howard's
International Quality Services
Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting
Bob Doering's
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook
IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors
SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers
Quality Digest Portal
IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology
ASQ - American Society for Quality

Related Topic Tags
aql (acceptable quality level), mil-std-105 (sampling by attributes), samples and sampling plans, zero acceptance sampling plan, zero defects, c=0 sampling plans

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
Old 13th July 2011, 02:17 AM
Shy Poster (1 to 5 Posts)

Registration Date: Jul 2009

Thanks Given to Others: 7
Karma Power: 21
carryn1 has less than 100 Karma points so far.
Please Help! C=0 vs. AQL MIL Standard 105 E - Sampling Plans

I am trying to understand C=0 sampling plan. My customer is requesting me to refer to MIl stand 105E . I kind of confuse, since C=0 mean zero defective . assume i carry out level 2 inspection. Why i need refer to AQL still ? can't I just reject the lot whenver defect detected regardless the lot size & AQL ?

Sponsored Links
Old 13th July 2011, 03:12 AM
Getting Involved (6 to 9 Posts)

Registration Date: Nov 2010

Thanks Given to Others: 1
Karma Power: 16
rexch has less than 100 Karma points so far.
Re: C=0 Vs AQL MIl standard 105 E

It is insane just give "C=0" as a sample plan. It means no critical issue is allowed. But normal issues must be determined. Cause if normal issue is not allowed in any sample plan, the rework cost is going to be insane. Just IMO.
Sponsored Links

Old 13th July 2011, 07:25 AM
Cross Forum Moderator

Registration Date: Jan 2005

Thanks Given to Others: 2,049
Thanked 5,974 Times in 3,809 Posts
Karma Power: 1529
Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Re: C=0 vs. AQL MIL Standard 105 E - Sampling Plans

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by carryn1 View Post

I am trying to understand C=0 sampling plan. My customer is requesting me to refer to MIl stand 105E . I kind of confuse, since C=0 mean zero defective . assume i carry out level 2 inspection. Why i need refer to AQL still ? can't I just reject the lot whenver defect detected regardless the lot size & AQL ?
What your customer undoubtedly wants is for you to use 105E to determine sample quantities, but to disregard the associated accept/reject numbers and reject a lot whenever a nonconforming thing is encountered.

It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it. --Upton Sinclair
Thank You to Jim Wynne for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Old 13th July 2011, 07:29 AM
Super Moderator

Registration Date: Sep 2003

Thanks Given to Others: 29
Karma Power: 153
Tim Folkerts is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Tim Folkerts is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Tim Folkerts is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Tim Folkerts is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Tim Folkerts is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Tim Folkerts is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Tim Folkerts is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Tim Folkerts is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Tim Folkerts is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Tim Folkerts is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Tim Folkerts is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Tim Folkerts is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Tim Folkerts is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Tim Folkerts is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Tim Folkerts is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Tim Folkerts is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.

One thing you could use the Z1.4 (ie MIL-STD-105) for is to "work backwards" to find a sampling plan that corresponds to what you are doing anyway; or corresponds to what you need.

For example, if sampling 32 units sounds good, then you could look in Table II-A (Single sampling plans for normal inspection) and see that a c=0 plan for 32 units is AQL = 0.4 and the code letter is "G".

Looking back at Table I, you could find that "G" corresponds to General inspection level II for any batch up to 280 items. So now you know that for any batch up to 280 items, the C=0, n = 32 sampling plan is indeed AQL 0.4, General Level II, Single Sampling Plan for normal inspection of lots up to 280 units (or it is Level I for lots up to 500; or Level S-2 for any size lots).

Looking ahead to Table X-G, you can find the OC curve for this plan. For example, this plan has a 95% chance of accepting lots with 0.16% nonconforming, and a 5% chance of accepting lots with 8.94% nonconforming. This table lets you determine the actual alpha and beta risks for the plan you are considering.

If the plan you were considering doesn't match your expectation for alpha and beta risk, then you can go back and redo this all for a different row (ie different sample size) in Table II-A.

To wonder is to begin to understand.
Thanks to Tim Folkerts for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Old 11th October 2011, 11:20 AM
Involved in Discussions

Registration Date: Sep 2009

Thanks Given to Others: 31
Karma Power: 26
theva has less than 100 Karma points so far.
Send a message via MSN to theva

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Jim Wynne View Post

What your customer undoubtedly wants is for you to use 105E to determine sample quantities, but to disregard the associated accept/reject numbers and reject a lot whenever a nonconforming thing is encountered.
I agree with Jim, some customer much prefer C=0 and sample size aligned with ANSI ASQC Z1.4. Please take note on the sampling switching rule too.
Old 11th October 2011, 11:42 AM
Statistician

Registration Date: May 2005

Thanks Given to Others: 239
Karma Power: 143
Statistical Steven is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Statistical Steven is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Statistical Steven is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Statistical Steven is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Statistical Steven is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Statistical Steven is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Statistical Steven is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Statistical Steven is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Statistical Steven is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Statistical Steven is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Send a message via Yahoo to Statistical Steven

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by theva View Post

I agree with Jim, some customer much prefer C=0 and sample size aligned with ANSI ASQC Z1.4. Please take note on the sampling switching rule too.
Why not just use the square root of N+1 with c=0? Or just 10% of the lot size. Using the sample size from the 105E without the accompanying acc/rej is a misapplication and misuse of the standard.

Steven Walfish
When in doubt, ask your company statistician!
Thanks to Statistical Steven for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Old 12th October 2011, 08:06 AM
Involved in Discussions

Registration Date: Jul 2007

Thanks Given to Others: 2
Karma Power: 65
Geoff Withnell is appreciated, and has over 1500 Karma points.Geoff Withnell is appreciated, and has over 1500 Karma points.Geoff Withnell is appreciated, and has over 1500 Karma points.Geoff Withnell is appreciated, and has over 1500 Karma points.Geoff Withnell is appreciated, and has over 1500 Karma points.Geoff Withnell is appreciated, and has over 1500 Karma points.Geoff Withnell is appreciated, and has over 1500 Karma points.Geoff Withnell is appreciated, and has over 1500 Karma points.Geoff Withnell is appreciated, and has over 1500 Karma points.Geoff Withnell is appreciated, and has over 1500 Karma points.Geoff Withnell is appreciated, and has over 1500 Karma points.

For the best layout of C=0 vs Z1.4 Mil105 plans, see "Zero Acceptance Number Sampling Plans" by Nicholas L. Squeglia. There are advantages to statistically correct c=0 plans, such as low sample size. But very few people are qualified to "just find a plan that matches what they are doing" and know what their results actually mean in terms of AOQL.

Geoff Withnell
Thanks to Geoff Withnell for your informative Post and/or Attachment!

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Common Quality Assurance Processes and Tools > Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics

Do you find this discussion thread helpful and informational?