The Elsmar Cove Wiki More Free Files The Elsmar Cove Forums Discussion Thread Index Post Attachments Listing Failure Modes Services and Solutions to Problems Elsmar cove Forums Main Page Elsmar Cove Home Page
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Manufacturing, Service, and Business Systems Processes > Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries
Forum Username

Search the Elsmar Cove
Custom Search
Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Follow Marc & Elsmar
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed  Marc Smith's Google+ Page  Marc Smith's Linked In Page   Marc Smith's Elsmar Cove YouTube Page  Marc Smith's Facebook Page  Elsmar Cove Twitter Feed
Elsmar Cove Groups
Elsmar Cove Google+ Group  Elsmar Cove LinkedIn Group  Elsmar Cove Facebook Group
Sponsor Links

Donate and $ Contributor Forum Access

Click the graphic above.
Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

Howard's
International Quality Services
Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting
Bob Doering's
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook
IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors
SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers
Quality Digest Portal
IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology
ASQ - American Society for Quality

Related Topic Tags
gemba

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
Old 19th September 2011, 03:56 AM
Involved in Discussions

Registration Date: May 2007

Thanks Given to Others: 2
Karma Power: 31
kocyk has less than 100 Karma points so far.
Question Gemba Walks - Do you practice Gemba Walks in your organizations?

Hello,

Do you practice Gemba Walks in your organizations? I'm planning on starting the gemba walks in my factory, but before that I would like to know few things and set some kind of routine for them

1. How often do you go for a gemba walk( I know that they supposed to be conducted every day)
2. Who's in the Gemba Walk team?
3. What are the responsibilities?
4. Are there any records from the Gemba Walks? If yes where and how do you display them? Central board or production boards?
5. What are the areas of main interest?( safety, muda, efficiency, standardize work etc.)

That's it for now Thank you in advance for all replies.

Sponsored Links
Old 19th September 2011, 10:37 PM
Your Elsmar Cove Host

Registration Date: Jan 1996

Thanks Given to Others: 9,404
Thanked 5,149 Times in 3,271 Posts
Karma Power: 400
Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Re: Gemba Walks - Do you practice Gemba Walks in your organizations?

A quick "Bump". Can anyone help with this one? Please - Help if you can. My Thanks in advance!

A Search is a terrible thing to waste!
One Test is Worth 1000 Expert Opinions - The plural of anecdote is not data - Correlation does not imply Causation
We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them. - Unknown
Sponsored Links

Old 20th September 2011, 01:50 AM
Involved in Discussions

Thanks Marc for bumping, but I guess the subject is to obvious although I wanted to know how it looks in other companies. Basically here is my idea how I'm going to do that:
- everyday top management representative will take a walk with production managers to their lines. Over there the foremen will be responsible for presenting all the charts that we are using and that they have to keep up to date. If anything is wrong a qucik memo will posted on the board with a requirement of planning a corrective action according to PDCA cycle. The only I can't decide is whether to conduct gemba walks in different scopes like: safety, muda, quality etc.
Old 20th September 2011, 02:17 AM
Forum Administrator

Registration Date: May 2000

Thanks Given to Others: 1,314
Karma Power: 400
Claes Gefvenberg is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Claes Gefvenberg is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Claes Gefvenberg is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Claes Gefvenberg is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Claes Gefvenberg is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Claes Gefvenberg is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Claes Gefvenberg is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Lightbulb Re: Gemba Walks - Do you practice Gemba Walks in your organizations?

Hi Kocyk,
Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by kocyk View Post

Do you practice Gemba Walks in your organizations?
We do, but not under that name, and not to the full intended extent (It's still pretty new, but it does work):

Quote:

1. How often do you go for a gemba walk( I know that they supposed to be conducted every day)
Our production Mgr makes one "tour" a week (apart from other visits in the workshop, of course). I and several others make a point to roam the grounds at least daily, in a more unofficial manner.
Quote:

2. Who's in the Gemba Walk team?
It varies depending on the area, but the Production Mgr. always takes part.
Quote:

3. What are the responsibilities?
After the walk , the participants agree on a summary, actions to be taken and so on.
Quote:

4. Are there any records from the Gemba Walks? If yes where and how do you display them? Central board or production boards?
There are, and that information goes via the area Mgr in question to the staff at regular meetings (not really as fast as it should, but still...).
Quote:

5. What are the areas of main interest?( safety, muda, efficiency, standardize work etc.)
All of the above, in roughly that order.
/Claes

Hanlon's Razor.
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
User Groups: Elsmar Cove Cycling Enthusiasts Formula 1 fanatics Photo freaks Readers Corner
Thank You to Claes Gefvenberg for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Old 20th September 2011, 02:29 AM
Involved in Discussions

Thank you Claes!
Old 20th September 2011, 03:50 AM
Involved in Discussions

Registration Date: May 2011

Thanks Given to Others: 42
Karma Power: 15
Jim G has less than 100 Karma points so far.

Hi Kocyk
Like you, I am introducing a version of Gemba walks into our facility. As with all PI initiatives you require full cooperation from all levels of management/supervision.
We started with a "Big Gemba Walk" through the core activities of the facility namely:
Product/Process development, Supplier Management, Customer support, Order Fulfillment and Management Attitudes. The outputs from this walk were then published and analysed by the management team.
From there we have decided to concentrate on Safety and Waste Reduction initially at shop level. Each production area is walked weekly with a Team Member, Supervisor & Quality Engineer. A Waste Data collection form is used to identify specific examples of the 7 wastes observed in the area. (Overproduction, Inspection, Transport, Waiting Time, Motion, Processing & Defects/Production Rework. The results are collated and briefed to the operators/inspectors and regular sessions arre then set up to identify corrective actions, solutions and improvements. A Senior Manager attends each Team session and provides support, finance and also monitors actions identified to a satisfactory conclusion.
Hope this helps
Jim
Thank You to Jim G for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Old 20th September 2011, 05:17 AM
Involved in Discussions

thank you. basically i see that the concept is quite similar, so there's only one more thing left for me- go to gemba and do the 1st official gemba walk

maybe micheal jackson's moonwalk style
Thanks to kocyk for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Old 20th September 2011, 09:05 AM
Involved in Discussions

Registration Date: Mar 2011

Thanks Given to Others: 1
Karma Power: 19
baby12 has less than 100 Karma points so far.

it is right if is not good for your company becuase with Gemba you equiped yourself with valuable infromation before the meeting the next monday.

when you gemba you are abler to defend your territory unlike this new managers who like to sit in their offices drinking coffee and reading news papers.

the disadvantage of not doing it is that you end up signing for something thta you have never saw.

once i am the manager of the department i will held my operation managers accountable for not being visible on the floor.

if i maya ask where does the money of the company come from if not from operations

encourage Gemba to take effect so that you can see what is not happening on the floor

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Manufacturing, Service, and Business Systems Processes > Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries

Do you find this discussion thread helpful and informational?