The Elsmar Cove Wiki More Free Files The Elsmar Cove Forums Discussion Thread Index Post Attachments Listing Failure Modes Services and Solutions to Problems Elsmar cove Forums Main Page Elsmar Cove Home Page
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > ISO (International Organization for Standardization) Standards > ISO 17025 - General Metrology, Measurement Device, Calibration and Test Laboratories > Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis)
Forum Username

Search the Elsmar Cove
Custom Search
Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Follow Marc & Elsmar
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed  Marc Smith's Google+ Page  Marc Smith's Linked In Page   Marc Smith's Elsmar Cove YouTube Page  Marc Smith's Facebook Page  Elsmar Cove Twitter Feed
Elsmar Cove Groups
Elsmar Cove Google+ Group  Elsmar Cove LinkedIn Group  Elsmar Cove Facebook Group
Donate and $ Contributor Forum Access

Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

Howard's
International Quality Services
Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting
Bob Doering's
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook
IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors
SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers
Quality Digest Portal
IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology
ASQ - American Society for Quality

Related Topic Tags
anova (analysis of variance), gage r&r (repeatability and reproducibility), microsoft excel .xls .xlsx spreadsheet, minitab (statistical analysis software), formula (mathematics/statistics)

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
Old 28th September 2011, 02:10 AM
Involved in Discussions

Registration Date: Mar 2008

Thanks Given to Others: 20
Karma Power: 31
Ingo1966 is appreciated, and has over 100 Karma points.Ingo1966 is appreciated, and has over 100 Karma points.
Exclamation Minitab ANOVA Gage R&R Error (vs. EXCEL ANOVA GRR Calculation)

MiniTab includes the insignificant interaction Term Operator x Part in the final calculation of %GAGE R&R.

Attached I have an EXCEL ANOVA GRR Calculation for the same data's which I put into Minitab.

If you stay with alpha 0.25 to remove the insignificant interaction term Operator x Part the Results differ from Minitab. (even though MiniTAb Session Window stated to remove the Interaction Term also at alpha 0.25)

If you manipulate alpha to 1 in my Excel Sheet to INCLUDE the insignificant OPxPart Interaction --> everything is fine.

But this is wrong ! Ok it differs not much but unfortunately these Values are used to callibrate the Outcome from other Statistical Software.

And therefore some People who trust MiniTab would say my EXCEL Calculation is somehow wrong.
Attached Files: 1. Scan for viruses before using, 2. Please report any 'bad' files by Reporting this post, 3. Use at your Own Risk.
File Type: xls GAGE_R_R_VERIFICATION TEST_ CALLIBRIATION DATA.xls (144.0 KB, 242 views)
File Type: xls GRR DATAS for MINITAB INPUT.xls (23.5 KB, 171 views)

Sponsored Links
Old 29th September 2011, 07:45 AM
Super Moderator

Registration Date: May 2003

Thanks Given to Others: 3,197
Thanked 4,538 Times in 3,215 Posts
Karma Power: 1554
Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Re: Minitab ANOVA Gage R&R Error (vs. EXCEL ANOVA GRR Calculation)

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Ingo1966 View Post

MiniTab includes the insignificant interaction Term Operator x Part in the final calculation of %GAGE R&R.

Attached I have an EXCEL ANOVA GRR Calculation for the same data's which I put into Minitab.

If you stay with alpha 0.25 to remove the insignificant interaction term Operator x Part the Results differ from Minitab. (even though MiniTAb Session Window stated to remove the Interaction Term also at alpha 0.25)

If you manipulate alpha to 1 in my Excel Sheet to INCLUDE the insignificant OPxPart Interaction --> everything is fine.

But this is wrong ! Ok it differs not much but unfortunately these Values are used to callibrate the Outcome from other Statistical Software.

And therefore some People who trust MiniTab would say my EXCEL Calculation is somehow wrong.
Comments anyone?

Thank you!!

Stijloor.
Thanks to Stijloor for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Sponsored Links

Old 3rd October 2011, 06:08 AM
Appreciated Member

Registration Date: Jan 2008

Thanks Given to Others: 15
Karma Power: 57
Allattar is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Allattar is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Allattar is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Allattar is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Allattar is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.

It looks like you are using the EV calculation from the full model with the interaction. Even though you remove the interaction.

Note if you remove the interaction, the Sum of squares for the interaction must go to the error term, must go into equipment variation.

You are dividing g22 by h22. G22 is the EV found with the interaction included.

As far as I can see including or removing the interaction in your excewl sheet does not change the SS in the EV.
Thank You to Allattar for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Old 3rd October 2011, 10:20 AM
Involved in Discussions

Ingo1966 is appreciated, and has over 100 Karma points.Ingo1966 is appreciated, and has over 100 Karma points.

Thankyou for your comments, you are right.

My Excel sheet is not very clearly you will find the modified SS for EV including the ERROR TERM in Cell C22

My Concern is MiniTab's Calculation why it comes up with different results
Old 4th October 2011, 04:16 AM
Appreciated Member

Registration Date: Jan 2008

Thanks Given to Others: 15
Karma Power: 57
Allattar is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Allattar is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Allattar is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Allattar is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Allattar is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.

I admit it is difficult following what the excel sheet is doing, but I think I may have traced it back.

The reproducibility estimates in your worksheet are different to Minitab, and hence the different figures.

Your calculation is MS(operator)/ (Parts*Replicates)

Minitab calculation

MS(Operator) - MS(repeatability) / (Parts * Replicates)
Thanks to Allattar for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Old 4th October 2011, 07:11 AM
Involved in Discussions

Thankyou Allatar,

that was the point !
I was wrong, I have corrected it and than it fits with MiniTab.

I have to consult AIAG MSA 4th Appendix A again.

Dear Elsmar Forum:
"I am sorry for confusion"
Attached Files: 1. Scan for viruses before using, 2. Please report any 'bad' files by Reporting this post, 3. Use at your Own Risk.
File Type: xls GAGE_R_R_VERIFICATION TEST_ CORRECTED VERSION.xls (143.5 KB, 206 views)

Last edited by Ingo1966; 4th October 2011 at 07:24 AM.

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > ISO (International Organization for Standardization) Standards > ISO 17025 - General Metrology, Measurement Device, Calibration and Test Laboratories > Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis)

Do you find this discussion thread helpful and informational?